Missing Egr Valve?

DSN46

Okay..

So I have been crawling around my engine bay "checking" things (I do that kind of thing in my spare time...) and for the life of me, I cannot find the EGR Valve!

There is nothing going to the passanger side exhaust manifold that I can see. No little "coffee can" bolted to the intake manifold that I can find.

I've got an 02 LM7 (non-flex-fuel) engine. Is it even remotely possible that they excluded the EGR system on this engine? I've searched and cannot find anything to help me in my quest.

If I am missing something, please help me out.

Thank you,

James

Okay, I compared a picture of the spot where it SHOULD be from a manual to the actual engine. Someone has completey removed the whole bracket that bolted onto the front of the valve cover... plugged the hole with a metal cap... and taken the EGR out of the system.

My question is why would they do this? I got to looking around some more and noticed that there is something missing (looks it should be a tube) from just in front of the oil filter. Don't know what that was for either...

At this point, I'm not sure I even have a LM7 anymore!!

I appreciate the help from svensk, can anyone else who knows every inch of these motors tell me why these things are missing? I would think that it would take far more money to remove the whole system, properly plug the hole in the valve cover and re-program the PCM than to just replace the valve.

Thank you again,

James

Okay..

So I have been crawling around my engine bay "checking" things (I do that kind of thing in my spare time...) and for the life of me, I cannot find the EGR Valve!

There is nothing going to the passanger side exhaust manifold that I can see. No little "coffee can" bolted to the intake manifold that I can find.

I've got an 02 LM7 (non-flex-fuel) engine. Is it even remotely possible that they excluded the EGR system on this engine? I've searched and cannot find anything to help me in my quest.

If I am missing something, please help me out.

Thank you,

James

I don't think the 5.3L had one in the first place.....mine doesn't and it's not because it was removed.

THANK YOU!!

Goodness I hope this is the case.

Some 5.3's must have had one because my Haynes manual shows one and others have talked about cleaning the Valve. Plus, I can look up the part online for the 5.3.

I'm so confused at this point.... :crackup:

Thanks again!

James

THANK YOU!!

Goodness I hope this is the case.

Some 5.3's must have had one because my Haynes manual shows one and others have talked about cleaning the Valve. Plus, I can look up the part online for the 5.3.

I'm so confused at this point.... :crackup:

Thanks again!

James

The factory service manual shows one as well but it also covers the 4.8L, 5.3L and the 6.0L. My engine has the exact same thing as yours....the block off plate....and I purchased this truck new and trust me it's never been removed. Maybe one of the GM guys will provide some input.

As far as I know, depending on which state the vehicle is sold (emission requirements) depends on whether or not the engine has an EGR valve. A lot of different engines and vehicles, that are otherwise identical, have slight (egr valves, air tubes, catalytic converters etc....) differences between them because of there sale location. Hope this helps.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought EGR valves were a good thing. That they took the blowby gasses of the crankcase, ooooooopppppppppppss, that's the PCV valve. The PCV is a good thing. So the EGR valve must just be a bogus thing, Exuast gas recir., yeah why would we want to do that.

As computerized emission controls have improved, EGR valves have disappeared on most new vehicles. I don't have a clue how they are achieving the same thing without them but it must be within the air/fuel mix parameters in the newer computers.

My truck has the electronic EGR. I went to replace mine recently and found out new ones run $180 bucks! Most people cut them out and cap the manifold rather than replace the thing.

I went for my NYS inspection last week, and the tech has to check for those components. Mine doesn't have one, so he checked off that it didnt come with one.

I think your fine.

I don't think these newer trucks have a traditional PCV valve either. My 2004 doesn't seem to have on in the traditional sense (that I can tell, its a 4.8 liter). Additionally, I think the manual specifies that it isn't "replaceable"

My truck has the electronic EGR. I went to replace mine recently and found out new ones run $180 bucks! Most people cut them out and cap the manifold rather than replace the thing.

I went for my NYS inspection last week, and the tech has to check for those components. Mine doesn't have one, so he checked off that it didnt come with one.

I think your fine.

Archived