Auxiliary Fuel Tank For 2500hd?

Hey everyone . . . been a long time since I posted.

Well the deals on new Dmax's are just too good to pass up. I traded my 04 2500 HD 8.1L in on a new 08 Dmax. Honestly I liked the looks of my 04 a lot better but . . . time to upgrade.

Among the many mods I want to make I'd like to add more fuel capacity. I think the stock capacity is only 26 gallons.

Does anyone know of or have experience with a quality auxiliary fuel tank for a 2500HD Dmax?

Hey everyone . . . been a long time since I posted.

Well the deals on new Dmax's are just too good to pass up. I traded my 04 2500 HD 8.1L in on a new 08 Dmax. Honestly I liked the looks of my 04 a lot better but . . . time to upgrade.

Among the many mods I want to make I'd like to add more fuel capacity. I think the stock capacity is only 26 gallons.

Does anyone know of or have experience with a quality auxiliary fuel tank for a 2500HD Dmax?

No, and sorry to hijack, but I would have LOVED to get my hands on that 8.1 before you traded it in!

No, and sorry to hijack, but I would have LOVED to get my hands on that 8.1 before you traded it in!

I haven't traded it in yet. It goes to the dealer next Saturday, Sept 27. I wasn't in any hurry to pick up the new one and I'm having the dealer install a number of mods and accessories for me prior to picking it up. If you are really interested you can PM me or whatever. If you beat what the dealer allowed me for it on trade it is yours. The truck has a number of cosmetic upgrades and mods . . . smoking hot truck. i hate to let it go honestly but I want a Dmax. The truck is a 2004 2500 HD w/ the Ally and 8.1L. It has less than 37,000 miles on it. If you want specifics let me know in a PM.

100_1940.jpg

Good question, can't help you out but forgive me for hijacking and adding to your question. Is there a gas-tank thats larger than the stock 25 gall... aftermarket or not..

curious,

Rob

I think I could have lived with 34 gallons . . . maybe the tanks on the 3500 are larger? I wonder if the tank on the 3500 would fit on the 2500? That woul dgive me nearly 100 miles more per tank while towing.

My biggest concern is towing. Doing that I'm going to get 11 or 12 mpg and we go camping in the Adirondacks and remote areas in Vermont. Most of the gas stations in those areas are 2 pump mom and pop stops. They don't carry diesel. I had a 1 ton dump 5 or 6 years ago and it was always a hassle trying to find some place that sold diesel . . . then when you did they charged a mint for it because they were the only place that sold it.

Does anyone know if the 34 gallon tank from the 3500 will fit the 2500 HD's?

Same original question . . . anyone have a good auxiliary fuel tank solution for a 2500 HD diesel?

My 2008 6.0 2500HD has a 34 gallon tank.

EDIT: I have the 8' bed. The rear of the tank comes within about 6" of the rear end - so I doubt it would fit on a smaller wheelbase vehicle.

Maybe if you're creative you can reroute your exhaust and put another tank on the other side?

Otherwise I think you're stuck putting another tank in the bed.

I haven't traded it in yet. It goes to the dealer next Saturday, Sept 27. I wasn't in any hurry to pick up the new one and I'm having the dealer install a number of mods and accessories for me prior to picking it up. If you are really interested you can PM me or whatever. If you beat what the dealer allowed me for it on trade it is yours. The truck has a number of cosmetic upgrades and mods . . . smoking hot truck. i hate to let it go honestly but I want a Dmax. The truck is a 2004 2500 HD w/ the Ally and 8.1L. It has less than 37,000 miles on it. If you want specifics let me know in a PM.

100_1940.jpg

I wish I could. Unfortunately I would need to get rid of my 03 before I could buy yours.... If I were you, I'd post it up on here prior to Saturday... With less than 37000 miles and having an 8.1 I bet it would go in a heartbeat, not to mention you would get more than trade in at a dealer...

My 2008 6.0 2500HD has a 34 gallon tank.

EDIT: I have the 8' bed. The rear of the tank comes within about 6" of the rear end - so I doubt it would fit on a smaller wheelbase vehicle.

Maybe if you're creative you can reroute your exhaust and put another tank on the other side?

Otherwise I think you're stuck putting another tank in the bed.

Boy I hate the idea of putting a tank in the bed. That just doesn't work for me. At least I now understand why you guys have the 34 gallons and I have the 26. I haven't taken delivery of the new truck yet. I will have to look up underneth it and see what/where/ if there is any room. This sucks.

I believe that Transfer Flo makes a replacement fuel tank for the short bed trucks that hangs down about an inch below the frame - but I think it holds around 40 Gal.

You could always get one of those job box fuel tanks and have it modified to tap into existing tank, if you know someone who knows how to do it. Would cost you more $$$, but it;s an alternative.

Thanks. I have seen those and other "in the bed" fuel tank options but I really don't want to do that. I "Googled" auxiliary fuel tanks before I posted on here and all I could find were in the bed tank options. I was really looking for an under the truck solution. Back in the days of my youth (25 years ago) my old man had a full sized Chevy and there was a switch on the dash where he could select between 2 tanks. I don't really recall how large they were but seems like 20 gallons or more each. Anyway the range on that truck was unreal.

We tow a 5th wheel toy hauler and I'd rather not consume the bed of the truck with a gas tank. The only thing I'm worried about is remote areas in NY, VT and Canada. Diesel can be hard to find in those areas. I can't believe Chevy doesn't have an optional solution for this. If I can't find an under the truck solution I'll probably just buy 2 - 5 gallon diesel cans to take with me when I tow to remote areas. That way I at least will have 110 - 120 miles of padding if I start to run out.

I find the guys on this board to be highly knowledgable so if no one on here knows of a solution . . . I doubt there is one.

You could always get one of those job box fuel tanks and have it modified to tap into existing tank, if you know someone who knows how to do it. Would cost you more $$$, but it;s an alternative.

Thanks. I have seen those and other "in the bed" fuel tank options but I really don't want to do that. I "Googled" auxiliary fuel tanks before I posted on here and all I could find were in the bed tank options. I was really looking for an under the truck solution. Back in the days of my youth (25 years ago) my old man had a full sized Chevy and there was a switch on the dash where he could select between 2 tanks. I don't really recall how large they were but seems like 20 gallons or more each. Anyway the range on that truck was unreal.

We tow a 5th wheel toy hauler and I'd rather not consume the bed of the truck with a gas tank. The only thing I'm worried about is remote areas in NY, VT and Canada. Diesel can be hard to find in those areas. I can't believe Chevy doesn't have an optional solution for this. If I can't find an under the truck solution I'll probably just buy 2 - 5 gallon diesel cans to take with me when I tow to remote areas. That way I at least will have 110 - 120 miles of padding if I start to run out.

I find the guys on this board to be highly knowledgable so if no one on here knows of a solution . . . I doubt there is one.

My F 250 has that switch on the dash, you can select front or rear tank. Total gallons it holds is the same amount as my 2500 (34 gallons). Ford did away with that switch and now uses one large tank like GM does. It was a neccessity to have tow tanks, because those 351's were pigs! Man how that truck loves to gulp up gasoline.

Archived