In-dash 4wd Switch Replacement

TedH

I've decided to remove and inspect the in-dash 4WD panel (pushbuttons). I've read a few threads that describe loose solder and if that is the problem, I intend to repair the switch using my soldering iron.

I read a step-by-step for a '99 that described pulling the surround from the center dash (after dropping the tilt wheel down and putting the shift selector in 'Low 1'). Then, popping the switch out of the dash.

What is the removal/install procedure for an '03?

2003 Silverado Z71 Ext Cab, 4WD

4.8L

Auto

Approx 58,000 miles

NOTE: I also just replaced the 4WD Actuator.

if you are just trying to repalce the switch, it just pops out and they are 2 connectors going to the back of it, then you jusst plug it back in...i think that is what you are trying to get at?

Could you be more descriptive of the removal procedure for the switch panel? Do I have to pry it out with anything?

I think the 03 dash bezel comes off the same way it did in 99. Just lower the wheel all the way and pull the bezel straight back to get the clips to release (it does take a little twisting and turning to work the bezel out once the clips are released). The switch is held in with tabs. It's a 5 minute job to replace the switch.

Instructions accompanied by pictures make all of the difference:

2003-2006 GM Truck Cluster Removal

1. Apply the parking brake to prevent the vehicle from moving.

2. If equipped with an automatic transmission, move the shift lever all the way down to last gear (this will allow you room to remove the bezel).

3. Tilt the steering wheel to the full down position. You do not need to remove the steering wheel as seen in the image - "Picture 1" below.

4. Pull gently rearward on the corners of the bezel from the instrument panel (IP) assembly. There are no screws holding in place. See "Picture 1" below.

5. Remove the bezel.

NOTE: I stop here. I can get to the 'Transfer Case Control Switch' easily. For full cluster removal, continue...

6. Remove the (7mm hex head) screws that retain the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) to the I/P assembly. See "Picture 2" below.

7. Remove the IPC (2) from the vehicle by tilting the bottom of the cluster outward. See "Picture 3" below.

8. Disconnect the IPC harness (1) from the IPC by squezing in it's clamp tab and pulling moderately. See "Picture 3" below.

Picture 1: http://www.mrwhizard.com/docs/ACF1738.gif

Picture 2: http://www.mrwhizard.com/docs/silverado_cluster_removal2.gif

Picture 3: http://www.mrwhizard.com/docs/silverado_plug_removal3.gif

At least with 'Picture 1' I knew where to 'start pulling' at the edges... I'd have chipped the bezel for sure where I thought the edges were. Bezel is hanging loose in the truck as I type this.

ok. Just got the switch assembly out... pry CAREFULLY at the top of the switch. There is a place to get a narrow screwdriver in at the top (that's what I used). prying gently, I was able to pull on the switch assembly and it popped out. I note there are four 'clips' on the four sides that hold the switch in place.

Now, I'm going to take the rear cover off the switch to see if I can inspect the solder inside...

stay tuned!

After doing (the rest of) my homework:

GM PN's:

03-07 Silverado/Sierra 15136039, $50.56

99-02 Silverado/Sierra 15709327, $42.19

And, one that is really confusing and that I ordered in error:

99-02 Silverado/Sierra 19168767, $43.46

I've sent a note to gmpartsdirect.com requesting the order be cancelled... I hope they do as it is a non-returnable item.

Archived