No Power To Fuel Pump

i have a 02 sierra denali with a 6.0. replaced fuel pump and confirmed it was not working .now i have no power to fuel pump.checked fuses and swithed out the relay. seem like the relay is not being told to switch. what controls it the pcm?jumped power from the fuse box back no problems.

i have a 02 sierra denali with a 6.0. replaced fuel pump and confirmed it was not working .now i have no power to fuel pump.checked fuses and swithed out the relay. seem like the relay is not being told to switch. what controls it the pcm?jumped power from the fuse box back no problems.

I don't have your answer Mike but I'll bump your Q back to the top. Maybe one of the techs will see it.

Welcome to the site.

I'm not exactly sure where you jumped, could you be more specific? The diagram doesn't show pin numbers so if you could post the part number on the relay I can look at one and know which pin is which. There should be numbers on the relay, which one did you jump, knowing that will tell me what direction you should be looking. Also you said fuses good but did you just check fuel pump fuse or all of them. If not all of them check for power at the ECM B fuse. And finally I am assuming you have the single tank and not dual.

I'm not exactly sure where you jumped, could you be more specific? The diagram doesn't show pin numbers so if you could post the part number on the relay I can look at one and know which pin is which. There should be numbers on the relay, which one did you jump, knowing that will tell me what direction you should be looking. Also you said fuses good but did you just check fuel pump fuse or all of them. If not all of them check for power at the ECM B fuse. And finally I am assuming you have the single tank and not dual.

8167 is the realy part #.i jumped power into the back of the fuse box where the grey wire comes out and goes back to the fuel pump,wanted to check for continuity..i have power in one terminal of the relay but the circiut that would close the relay is not working.maybe a fuel cut off switch?also i do not have ground on the black wire at the fuel pump,i dont know if it is normally constant.i did check ecm b fuse and anything closely related to fuel.thanks for any help.

Ok, well if I get too remedial for you don't get upset with me as I do not know your skill level. I'm going to start with some basic "how the system works" stuff and you take from it what you can.

also i do not have ground on the black wire at the fuel pump,i dont know if it is normally constant

The fuel pump should have constant ground, if you do not have it I would abandon what you are looking for with power. The reason I say that is I seriously doubt you had two different problems with the same system at opposite ends of the vehicle that manifested themselves at the same time. I don't know if you know but the fuel pump is only commanded to run for about 2 seconds with the key on. If you are turning the key on then going under the truck or to the control side of the relay and checking for power you are not going to have it. Like I said I don't know what you know so if you were aware of that please take no offense.

If you fix the ground issue and still have no pump you can look at your relay, I would start by checking for power at the pump with a helper. Once you are under the truck and have a test light connected to ground and the grey wire then have the helper turn the key on.

If you know all this and that is what you did let me know and we will go deeper but I would chase down that ground first. Unfortunately I can not tell you where that ground originates because the manual is wrong so I would have to do some experimentation myself to find the ground location if it were in my bay.

Archived