2007 Silverado W/ 6.0l Vortec Max-transmission

Yes, I did as instructed when I bought the truck and did not tow anything until it had at least 500 miles on it. Truthfully, I didn't tow anything substantial until it had about 15,000 miles on it. I went easy enough on the drive train as well. Looking back, I probably did abuse it a little, but it is just because I was trying to get the truck to do what I knew it should do. And by abuse, I mean flooring the throttle. No burnouts or crap like that.

I too hate the 3-4 second delay in acceleration. You're right about it performing better than the 270 HP motor, but you just bought a 367 HP motor. It should behave like one.

Drive the truck with care and you will have no issues. You bought a great truck, don't worry about it. Sometimes I think the computers cause more headache than they are worth!

-N

Do the tune!!!

I JUST got my truck (2007 Vmax) back from the dealer after they had to drop the transmission out @ 11,000 miles. It was leaking fluid due to a seal in the transmission being boogered up by an "unpolished" shaft in the transmission. Truck has always run fine but man do I wish I have the 6-speed that is in these trucks now.

I'm currently saving for a 6" lift and 35" tires. After that I will get a BBP tune without a doubt to shave off some TM and rid of the ever-annoying AFM system. All in all I do love this truck. Despite its quirks I wouldn't have bought another pickup. GM has my money as I'm sure it always will!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:My 2007Silverado LTZ Z71 4X4 just lost the transmission at 26,000 Miles. 6.0 HO Vortec MAX. First it wouldn't upshift beyond 2nd gear and then it lost all forward motion. This truck has never pulled anything, never been off road and has never been abused. Service writer at the Chevy store says that it was probably a bad part from the factory; input shaft failed the night before I was heading out on a 1300 miles trip. Good news is that it didn't leave me in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks to all. helpful information. I guess the guy at the dealership working on my truck knows less than you guys do... he is the one that told me the 5.3 and 6.0 trannys were the same.

Anyway, Punmax what kind of tuning/tuner do you have? I am unfamiliar with reflashing... can you elaborate?

RedRock, can you elaborate on your tuner? Do you know if it voided any of the warranties on your truck? Quit smoking those 33s! That's expensive rubber!

thanks guys

I feel ya man. Stick to your guns make never take the dealer's word for it...

Will do. It is frustrating when I had a 2000 Tahoe w/ 120,000 and never even looked at the tranny besides the routine fluid changes. Whats wrong w/ this picture?

Heading BACK to the dealership on Monday. Tranny leaking again from a different spot after the tranny was reinstalled.

What a friggin mess.

Damn, that is a mess. Leaking from a different place might be due to the technician not following the R&R procedures or just doing sloppy work. No excuse for that.

If you don't get everything fixed right this time, I would be telling the Service Manager that you intend to complain to the regional GM office.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Truck sat all weekend, went to start it up to take it back to the stealership and my low oil light comes on. Whats going on w/ this rig? Can't wait to hear what the service manager has to say.

What happened with the truck Max?

Truck sat all weekend, went to start it up to take it back to the stealership and my low oil light comes on. Whats going on w/ this rig? Can't wait to hear what the service manager has to say.

What happened with the truck Max?

They told me it was residual. I'd like to know what the new spot is on my driveway as I came home from work today then. Starting to look like a Ford parks here!

• 3 months later...

This thread has been dead for a few months, but I recently picked up a used 1500 Crew LTZ with the Vortec Max; overall I LOVE this truck - but searching through this forum, i've noticed that many people have had the same issues as I have:

1. Hard shifts from 1st to 2nd sometimes

2. "surge" while stopped at a light (or similar) with your foot on the brake, truck in drive

I read through this entire thread and this other one: Rough Idle on Cold start...

I haven't seen a definite solution for these two issues, so if anyone knows what it is, please elaborate!

The one thing I think I did get out of this is to get a custom tuning :)

This thread has been dead for a few months, but I recently picked up a used 1500 Crew LTZ with the Vortec Max; overall I LOVE this truck - but searching through this forum, i've noticed that many people have had the same issues as I have:

2. "surge" while stopped at a light (or similar) with your foot on the brake, truck in drive

I read through this entire thread and this other one: Rough Idle on Cold start...

I haven't seen a definite solution for these two issues, so if anyone knows what it is, please elaborate!

The one thing I think I did get out of this is to get a custom tuning :D

That is all you need to know. :)

The one thing I think I did get out of this is to get a custom tuning :D

That is all you need to know. :)

+1

No longer have any of those problems after Justin finished with it. It's a great truck!

• 1 year later...

The only thing I have to add to this thread is that the 4L70 trans is the same family as the 700R4-4l60-4l60E-4l65E-4l70. So in a way the first guys GM tech was kinda correct. The trans in your truck in not as close to being as strong as a 4L80 or the newer 6l80s or 6l90s. In stock form they will last a good while, but I would say they have been the major weak link in the GM trucks. They will last up to 100K+ in all of peoples trucks, but you can also find many people that have had issues with them. Basically I have seen friends with great trucks all around, but needed a new/rebuilt trans. Thats is also why back in 2001 I bought a 3/4ton Suburban, and in 2006 I bought a 3/4 gasser Silverado. They both had the 6.0L gasser and the 4l80 drivetrain. I hope all works out great for your truck.

Archived