K&n Filter Vs. K47 High Cap Air Cleaner

I have the high capacity air cleaner and would like to add a K&N filter. Is it the same size as the standard air filter or do I need something oddball size for this RPO? Will I notice any advantage going with the K&N over the high capacity cleaner? I read down the board the HC air cleaner just means it can trap more dirt, not that it's necessarily more efficient or a better performer.

Thanks!

Hence the words high capacity. It depends on how you feel about K&N, some folks just love and think they do wonders. I bought one to replace my 400 series' high capacity Donaldson filter and I didn't notice any difference. In fact it seemed that the stock filter let the truck make more power. Just my .02

That's interesting, I've heard mixed feelings about the filters themselves. The FIPK seems to be a great way to add power but I'm just looking for some fuel economy; 310 hp and 335 ft-lbs tq stock is enough power for my needs. The question is, if I buy a $60 K&N filter how long will it take for me to realize $60 in gas savings? :rolleyes:

That's interesting, I've heard mixed feelings about the filters themselves. The FIPK seems to be a great way to add power but I'm just looking for some fuel economy; 310 hp and 335 ft-lbs tq stock is enough power for my needs. The question is, if I buy a $60 K&N filter how long will it take for me to realize $60 in gas savings? :P

You will wear your truck out long before you see a penny back in gas savings. There is none :lol: You could make your money back with the money you would spend buying paper filters if you go through them frequently :lol: You could then lose all that and more if your engine starts sucking the oil out of the filters :rolleyes:

IMHO, K&N filters are a huge rip-off.

Common sense tells me that more flow = less filtration. Spicer's test proves this. I'd much rather have less dirt scratching up my cylinder walls rather than a possible few extra ponies. But if you feel the tradeoff is worth it, go for it.

I see a lot of people saying that they've "run them for weeks/months/years with no problems." You probably won't have any problems for a very very long time! But several years and thousands of miles down the road when and if you rebuild your engine, you might not be too happy with what you find. How many of you folks "with no problems" actually had an oil analysis done?

Then there's the aurgement of K&N filters being more cost efficient than paper filters. Okay then, lets see. A K&N filter costs about $50 for my truck while a decent paper filter is only about $5. My last paper filter lasted over 12k miles, more than a year's worth of driving for me. It would take over ten years for me to break even, and that's not including K&N Recharger kits! By then I would probably have new truck to buy another K&N for! I realize that many people drive way more often than I do, so a K&N might be a more economic choice for them.

I don't like the cleaning process either. Wash it, wait for it to dry, then oil it. It's much easier for me to run into town and pick up a new filter. Plus I don't have to deal with the downtime while waiting for the filter to dry.

Here's something intresting I found on K&N's Website:

22. Can I use compressed air to dry the filter faster?

No, this can blow the filter material right out of the wire mesh and ruin the filter. Pick a nice day to clean the filter and let it dry naturally.

That statement alone would be enough for me to NEVER run a K&N on anything I own. If the filter can be blow apart like that, imagine what a large-displacement engine could do to it! I remember reading a post regarding the pleats in a clogged paper filter being flattened because the engine couldn't get enough air. Someone else retorted with something like "then your engine would've ate a flimsy-ass K&N!"

• 1 year later...

i did the k&n fipk and i love it. i doubt i made the money back but ive cleaned it twice had it on almost 2 years saw 3 mpg's better. put 20,000 on the truck since ive done it. if someone could provide me with a formula on how to do it ill tell u what ive saved

That's interesting, I've heard mixed feelings about the filters themselves. The FIPK seems to be a great way to add power but I'm just looking for some fuel economy; 310 hp and 335 ft-lbs tq stock is enough power for my needs. The question is, if I buy a $60 K&N filter how long will it take for me to realize $60 in gas savings? :P

You never will. Changing the air filter is not going to give you better mileage, that's just a lot of nonsense not based in fact. Don't believe, read what K&N has to say on the subject..

Anyone who claims they got better mileage changing to a K&N has to be making it up because K&N does not say it will.

There is a relationship between air filter restriction and mileage. The theory behind this is simple, the harder an engine has to work to suck air through the intake tubes and air filter, the more gas gets wasted in the process. Many K&N users report an increase in their fuel economy after beginning to use our air filters, as noted on our testimonial page. However, these experiences do not mean you will also experience a change in your mileage. We certainly understand why it is theoretically possible for a consumer to experience a mileage increase after installing a K&N air filter or intake system, however, we do not go so far as to make a general claim that our air filters and intake systems will provide an increase in mileage.

It is virtually impossible to make sweeping and general claims about mileage. Even the EPA fuel rating numbers for new cars are often not representative of the mileage you actually experience. There are many variables that affect mileage such as: tire inflation, the type of fuel, weather, elevation, the speed at which you drive, the gear in which you drive, the speed with which you accelerate, engine maintenance, excessive idling, cruise control, the grade of motor oil you use, and of course, the condition of your air filter. In short, mileage is complicated.

K&N filters are less restrictive than disposable paper or synthetic air filters and K&N Intake Systems are less restrictive than the factory installed air path. So K&N filter technology could be an important tool, when combined with other elements, to help keep mileage as high as possible.

Oh yeah, there's one more limitation imposed by science. If you take advantage of added power by driving more aggressively, you will reduce mileage. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

theoretically - Restricted to theory; not practical

well my milage improvred so call me a damn liar. im not the only one it has on. my friends 4.8 did too when he did the exhaust and fipk. it wasnt a large gain but it helped

Archived