Rear Main Seal Leaking

desmolift

Question

:thumbs: I have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali. At about 5,000 miles the rear main seal started leaking. Many say, whats the issue it is under warranty. So I return the truck for service and have the rear main seal replaced. 1 month later, leaking again. I return the truck for the 2nd time, this time they tell me its the oil filter, but they are wrong. Its leaking again. I return the truck for the 3rd time, they tell me its the rear main seal, duh. They repair it again. I just returned the truck for the 4th time and they are replacing the rear main seal again! :D This is the most rediculious thing I have ever delt with. I have contacted GMC, and I am in the middle of negotiations on getting them to purchase the truck back. This "new" vehicle has now had the transmission removed three times! I would never buy a GMC again. Too bad because it is a nice vehicle for hauling the family around in. There must be either a manufacturing defect or a seriuous design problem with these trucks. Modern day vehicles should not leak any fluids!

0 answers to this question

Mike has given you some great info here. I am willing to bet my farm that the RMS has not been the issue from the begining. It is either the Crank Pos Sensor, the Oil Pres Switch or it could possibly be the oil pan gasket leaking around the two ports just above the oil filter. The oil pan has Oil flowing through it at pressure just above the filter. When it leaks here, the oil is pulled into the bell housing by the rotation of the flywheel. It then runs out of the weep hole giving the appearance of a RMS leak. My '02 leaked here and the fix was very quick and easy and was taken care under my extended warranty.

I will add, I had to self diagnose my issue because my Dealer was leaning towards the RMS leaking. Info on this forum and another similar forum helped me gather the info to diagnose my issue.

Good luck and let us know.

Good luck with the buyback. I think there is a Tundra out there with your name on it. Good luck with that also. :flag:

Funny you should mention that..... I have a 2003 Tundra sitting out there, not a single issue since purchased new! Best truck I have ever owned. :D

I have to head off to the dealer and pick up my GMC for the fourth time! :) Cheers.

Enjoy the weekend.

Then why in the hell did you buy a GMC? :thumbs::fart:

Then why in the hell did you buy a GMC? :thumbs::D

The Yukon has family room.

Wow, I knew they were big, but a Family room? Does it have a gas or wood fireplace? Big screen TV? Bar? Pool Table?

:)

Dammit Jeff.. you KNOW that would be a den. :flag:

:thumbs: I have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali. At about 5,000 miles the rear main seal started leaking. Many say, whats the issue it is under warranty. So I return the truck for service and have the rear main seal replaced. 1 month later, leaking again. I return the truck for the 2nd time, this time they tell me its the oil filter, but they are wrong. Its leaking again. I return the truck for the 3rd time, they tell me its the rear main seal, duh. They repair it again. I just returned the truck for the 4th time and they are replacing the rear main seal again! :D This is the most rediculious thing I have ever delt with. I have contacted GMC, and I am in the middle of negotiations on getting them to purchase the truck back. This "new" vehicle has now had the transmission removed three times! I would never buy a GMC again. Too bad because is a nice vehicle for hauling the family around in. There most be either a manufacturing defect or a seriuous design problem with these trucks. Modern day vehicles should not leak any fliuds!

You can kill the whole herd because one cow has a broken leg if you like... but it doesn't make much sense.

I find this rather unusual... and not altogether believable. Rear main seals can and do leak on occasion on all makes of cars, but I've never seen one that wasn't easily solved by a proper replacement. It's too bad that you have a distaste for anything GMC over this - especially when it is highly unusual and apparently not being taken care of correctly. The rear main seal issue has been seen over at Ford, Nissan and Toyota. Don't believe it? Go read the TSBs... All manufacturers have problems. If they didn't, the service departments would all be closed. The issue here should be with the service department that hasn't SOLVED your issue... not GMC.

My GMC doesn't leak. Neither does my Dad's Suburban. The problem with yours is not indicative of ALL GMC products.

My GMC doesn't leak. Neither does my Dad's Suburban. The problem with yours is not indicative of ALL GMC products.

You may be correct, but, I have owned many vehicles in my years, and have never had a rear main seal oil leak. As a matter of fact, I don't believe any new car I have owned has had an oil leak during the period of time I have owned it. It may be that this is a "one off" problem, but I don't think so. I have been reading and researching, and this appears to be a common problem. You and your Dad should feel lucky its not you going to the dealer time after time for this repair.

You and your Dad should feel lucky its not you going to the dealer time after time for this repair.

Believe what you want. If your mind is made up, why are you here?

I've had over 20 new GM trucks and never had a rear main seal leaking. I understand why you are pissed. I would be too. Stuff happens to all makes. The dealership should have solved this and it should not be an issue for you now. I would not be happy at all.

I've owned new vehicles of many brands and had similar results. Only one Ford explorer (transmission), a Subaru (clutch & brakes), and one Mazda (oil leaks and fuel injection) really ever had any issues. Otherwise I have had good luck with all of them... regardless of brand. Out of the several million 5.3 V8 GM engines there have been almost NO issues. It is possible the supplier of a certain batch of rear main seals provided a defective product. This is where this type of problem originates.

I'd be pissed at the dealership for not getting it right.

Good luck.

I'm going to stay out of the hate or debate and just say if you do a search on oil leaks you will find a bulliten about OPS leaks that looks like a rear main. Yes it is GM's fault it leaked in the first place and perhaps one repair could still be GM's fault if there was something like a mismachined crank, but on the second repair the tech should be making a case and taking some precise measurements and following it up with adding oil dye and driving the hell out of it to make sure there were no leaks.

I am not under the truck I don't know what is leaking but it is a pretty well known fact that on that motor many of RMS have been replaced wrongly because a OPS was leaking. GM even put it out in a video for us because it is a big problem for them that we were fixing the wrong thing. Bottom line if the OPS is the problem then GM has done their job to make the problem known to us and the dealer flat ignored it. If it is the RMS there is one of two problems, 1 something is faulty in the seal or the sealing surface, that would be GM's fault. 2 the seal is being improperly installed, that would be the technicians fault. If there was a problem with the sealing surface then fault is shared with GM not having a good surface and the tech not measuring correctly.

Do what you must with the buy back, I don't want a customer that is spring loaded to the unhappy position so if it were in my hands I would just buy it back to make you go away. IMO buy back isn't your best option. The best option is to give the truck to the dealer, tell them fix it and don't give it back till alot of miles have been put on after repair to make sure it isn't leaking again. Then try and enjoy the vehicle. It doesn't sound to me like that would be something you would do though. Good luck to you.

:thumbs: I have a 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali. At about 5,000 miles the rear main seal started leaking. Many say, whats the issue it is under warranty. So I return the truck for service and have the rear main seal replaced. 1 month later, leaking again. I return the truck for the 2nd time, this time they tell me its the oil filter, but they are wrong. Its leaking again. I return the truck for the 3rd time, they tell me its the rear main seal, duh. They repair it again. I just returned the truck for the 4th time and they are replacing the rear main seal again! :D This is the most rediculious thing I have ever delt with. I have contacted GMC, and I am in the middle of negotiations on getting them to purchase the truck back. This "new" vehicle has now had the transmission removed three times! I would never buy a GMC again. Too bad because it is a nice vehicle for hauling the family around in. There most be either a manufacturing defect or a seriuous design problem with these trucks. Modern day vehicles should not leak any fliuds!

V A L I U M. :)

My 2007 Sierra had a rear main seal leak, went into the shop, came out fixed and has never had a leak since. That's the story for most guys with RMS leaks on these trucks. Your service department is either misdiagnosing the problem or is incapable of fixing it due to there incompetency. Try a different dealer.

It'll be okay, seriously. You may have RMS issues with this truck but you'll have POS issues with a Ford or Toyota. :flag:

Relax and enjoy. It'll get fixed. :fart:

You and your Dad should feel lucky its not you going to the dealer time after time for this repair.

Believe what you want. If your mind is made up, why are you here?

Two reasons,

1. To see if others have had this problem to supply information for my business case reguarding the California State Lemon Law.

2. To inform others of this issue. As a consumer, its the only way to effect change. I like to believe if enough people complained about their new car ownership issues, then manufacturers like GM might listen and apply corrective action. But maybe this is overly optimistic on my part.

As for the dealership being at fault...I have to beg to differ. I would not be in this position in the first place if the automobile didnt leak oil to begin with. This is not the dealerships issue, its GM's. Yes maybe this issue would have blown over if the dealership fixed it the first time. But that would be shame on me for not expecting a higher standard of quality from GM. GM has to be held accountable for this, not the dealer.

Sounds like we agree to disagree.

Archived