Truck Will Not Start

97silveradoz71

Question

Hello I own a 1997 silverado z71 with the 5.7 liter v8. I had it scanned and it set the code for the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor. I replaced the crank position sensor but it did not help. I replaced the throttle position sensor and the fuel pump but nothing seems to help. The truck is firing and is getting gas but it will not even hit.

1.Would it still fire if the cam position sensor is bad?

2.The truck has 178000 miles on it so could this be cause by the timing chain?

Or does anybody have any ideas what it could be. All the fuses are good. The truck will turn over but not even attempt to start.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 answers to this question

We replaced the camshaft sensor and the gear on the bottom of the distributor is good. We did not check the timing chain. After we replaced the cam sensor we could spray it with starting fluid and it would start for a second. Before we replaced the cam sensor it wouldnt even do that. It has a new fuel pump in it from autozone. Could the fuel pump be the culprit or does any one have any other ideas.

Thanks in advance.

what's fuel pressure at?

We replaced the camshaft sensor and the gear on the bottom of the distributor is good. We did not check the timing chain. After we replaced the cam sensor we could spray it with starting fluid and it would start for a second. Before we replaced the cam sensor it wouldnt even do that. It has a new fuel pump in it from autozone. Could the fuel pump be the culprit or does any one have any other ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Hello I own a 1997 silverado z71 with the 5.7 liter v8. I had it scanned and it set the code for the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor. I replaced the crank position sensor but it did not help. I replaced the throttle position sensor and the fuel pump but nothing seems to help. The truck is firing and is getting gas but it will not even hit.

1.Would it still fire if the cam position sensor is bad?

2.The truck has 178000 miles on it so could this be cause by the timing chain?

Or does anybody have any ideas what it could be. All the fuses are good. The truck will turn over but not even attempt to start.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it will still turn over. Replace the cam sensor, and I'd be willing to bet it fires right up. I had the same problem. I changed the crank sensor first, 'cause it was the easier of the 2, but was not the fix. Good luck.

Oh, by the way, Welcome to the forum :thumbs:

Archived