1998 Gas Gauge Problems

In my 1998 the gas gauge vibrates back and forth. It still works going from f to e but it like sits there and twitches a little bit back and forth constantly. Is there a fix for this? I know I have read about it on here before but I cannot find it for the life of me know. If some can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

In my 1998 the gas gauge vibrates back and forth. It still works going from f to e but it like sits there and twitches a little bit back and forth constantly. Is there a fix for this? I know I have read about it on here before but I cannot find it for the life of me know. If some can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Those trucks have a mylar film circuit board assy behind the instrument cluster. They have a tendency of corroding over time. Pull the instrument cluster and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. Might just solve the connection issue. If not... you may be headed for a sending unit replacement.

I posted this in the tech section today but then came across this thread....so:

I have a '99 Chevy Suburban K1500. We bought it in January and the guage has not read accurately since we bought it. It vibrates like mad and jumps from full to 1/2 to empty. My BIL suggested changing the fuel pump assembly.

I changed it today and it seems to be reading accurately but.it.still.vibrates. What could possibly be causing this?

The original owner told me that the guage had not read accurately a couple of years prior and so he took it to the dealer and had it fixed. He said it had just recently started bouncing around again and he was just done with it. I did not clarify with him if the gauge had been vibrating the entire time. The vibrating is really annoying and I want to fix it if possible.

any ideas?

Those trucks have a mylar film circuit board assy behind the instrument cluster. They have a tendency of corroding over time. Pull the instrument cluster and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. Might just solve the connection issue. If not... you may be headed for a sending unit replacement.

I posted this in the tech section today but then came across this thread....so:

I have a '99 Chevy Suburban K1500. We bought it in January and the guage has not read accurately since we bought it. It vibrates like mad and jumps from full to 1/2 to empty. My BIL suggested changing the fuel pump assembly.

I changed it today and it seems to be reading accurately but.it.still.vibrates. What could possibly be causing this?

The original owner told me that the guage had not read accurately a couple of years prior and so he took it to the dealer and had it fixed. He said it had just recently started bouncing around again and he was just done with it. I did not clarify with him if the gauge had been vibrating the entire time. The vibrating is really annoying and I want to fix it if possible.

any ideas?

Read all above!

The gauge in my '98 K1500 does the same thing. It reads correctly, but it vibrates and goes crazy when I switch the ignition on or off. That being said, I've never worried about it. I got the impression that's just how the gauges were.

Archived