1998 Gas Gauge Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bronco2454

bronco2454

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

In my 1998 the gas gauge vibrates back and forth. It still works going from f to e but it like sits there and twitches a little bit back and forth constantly. Is there a fix for this? I know I have read about it on here before but I cannot find it for the life of me know. If some can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
1998 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Z71 Extended Cab Short Box 5.7l Vortec

#2 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,080 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

In my 1998 the gas gauge vibrates back and forth. It still works going from f to e but it like sits there and twitches a little bit back and forth constantly. Is there a fix for this? I know I have read about it on here before but I cannot find it for the life of me know. If some can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Those trucks have a mylar film circuit board assy behind the instrument cluster. They have a tendency of corroding over time. Pull the instrument cluster and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. Might just solve the connection issue. If not... you may be headed for a sending unit replacement.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#3 bronco2454

bronco2454

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

Is the gas gauge suppose to drop down past full when the truck is shut off?

#4 DofD

DofD

Attack bunnies on duty

• 2,651 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

Mine stays relatively close to the actual fuel level when turned off.
Posted Image
Now: 2009 Tahoe LTZ, 4x4, 5.3L - Yes there are PICS
Then: 1997 Tahoe LT, 4x4, 5.7L
Before Then: 1990 Silverado RC Sport Side, 4x4, 5.7L
Member of the Red Truck Club

#5 bronco2454

bronco2454

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:06 PM

Interesting do you think this is diagnosticly relavant of anything that mine drops way down?

#6 Failanater

Failanater

Hiding from the Clown! AAARRGGHH!

• Banned
  • 8,207 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

My 99 twitches like that but its not something that I worry about... The worst thing is that my Low Fuel light doesnt come on...I am expecting to replace the fuel pump at some point! Its getting loud... They were loud fuel pumps to begin with!
Posted Image

You dont have a gf do you??? :lol:

may be on to something. :lol:

#7 jeffslegacy

jeffslegacy

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

I posted this in the tech section today but then came across this thread....so:

I have a '99 Chevy Suburban K1500. We bought it in January and the guage has not read accurately since we bought it. It vibrates like mad and jumps from full to 1/2 to empty. My BIL suggested changing the fuel pump assembly.
I changed it today and it seems to be reading accurately but.it.still.vibrates. What could possibly be causing this?
The original owner told me that the guage had not read accurately a couple of years prior and so he took it to the dealer and had it fixed. He said it had just recently started bouncing around again and he was just done with it. I did not clarify with him if the gauge had been vibrating the entire time. The vibrating is really annoying and I want to fix it if possible.

any ideas?

#8 Failanater

Failanater

Hiding from the Clown! AAARRGGHH!

• Banned
  • 8,207 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

Those trucks have a mylar film circuit board assy behind the instrument cluster. They have a tendency of corroding over time. Pull the instrument cluster and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. Might just solve the connection issue. If not... you may be headed for a sending unit replacement.

I posted this in the tech section today but then came across this thread....so:

I have a '99 Chevy Suburban K1500. We bought it in January and the guage has not read accurately since we bought it. It vibrates like mad and jumps from full to 1/2 to empty. My BIL suggested changing the fuel pump assembly.
I changed it today and it seems to be reading accurately but.it.still.vibrates. What could possibly be causing this?
The original owner told me that the guage had not read accurately a couple of years prior and so he took it to the dealer and had it fixed. He said it had just recently started bouncing around again and he was just done with it. I did not clarify with him if the gauge had been vibrating the entire time. The vibrating is really annoying and I want to fix it if possible.

any ideas?

Read all above!
Posted Image

You dont have a gf do you??? :lol:

may be on to something. :lol:

#9 jeffslegacy

jeffslegacy

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

lol..... got it. thanks. =)

#10 jeffslegacy

jeffslegacy

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

Funny, I just totally missed that reply when I was reading through the thread.

#11 bronco2454

bronco2454

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

Got any more information how to clean this circuit board?

#12 udderchaos

udderchaos

Enthusiast

• 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:41 PM

Got any more information how to clean this circuit board?

I was looking for this. My 98 Suburban has the same ailment

#13 K1500 Cheyenne

K1500 Cheyenne

Vortec not VTEC

• 767 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

The gauge in my '98 K1500 does the same thing. It reads correctly, but it vibrates and goes crazy when I switch the ignition on or off. That being said, I've never worried about it. I got the impression that's just how the gauges were.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users