Replacing A Speaker In The Driver's Door

I have a 2002 extended cab and the speaker in the drivers door is blown.

The truck just has the standard factory stereo.

What size speakers go in the door?

How do I get the door apart to replace the speaker?

Do I need any special tools?

Thanks.

Great directions!!!

Do I need 2-way or 3-way speakers?

Personally I don't think it matters that much...just buy a decent set of speakers $40-$50 +. Match the impedance. Look at the old ones when you take them out and find a replacement one with similar same specs.

I put a $40 set of pioneers in mine. I'd replace both doors at the same time. You'd be suprised at how different two speakers sound.

I have an nbs 2007. I lost alot of lower end muddy sound replacing the stock speakers but got a lot more clarity. I put a sub in so the loss of low end in the doors was a non issue.

I just replaced my speakers on my 2002 a few months ago. Here are a couple of pointers:

1. Snap off the trim pieces that you can, like the plastic piece right behind the exterior mirror and the piece right behind the interior door handle.

2. There are THREE screws holding it in place - there is one on the very bottom of the door panel - like on the bottom side of the door. There is one close to the door handle that will be exposed when you pop that plastic piece off. There is one somewhere else too I just can't think where right now.

3. Before you lift the door panel up and off snap off the plastic unit where the lock and window switches are and disconnect the harnesses. Easy.

4. Lift door panel off. CAREFULL - the light on the door panel that comes on with the dome lights is still attached. Detach it and set the door panel aside.

5. There are two speakers in there - a 6.5 and a little tweeter. Cut the wire to the tweeter and tape the wire off - you don' t need it.

6. Replace the 6.5 with a good 3-way speaker - they sound better. I got mine (Boston Accustics) at Best Buy for around $100. You will have to cut the wire off the old 6.5 and rig a way to attach it to the new one - just make sure to get the positive and negative correct (you should be able to tell based on how it was hooked up to the old speaker. You also might have to re-drill new holes for your new speaker - it is easy to do.

7. Also - you might have to pull back the clear plastic sheet that keeps water out of the door. If you do they go buy yourself some water-proof duck tape to re-seal it with. It is there for a reason - you don't want water getting into your door.

8. TEST THE SPEAKER to make sure it works!

9. Reverse everything. Tip: the door panel goes on much easier if you pop out the plastic "lock position" switch. This is the part that you would use to manually lock or unlock your door. Pop it out of the door panel; reattach the door panel, then line up that manual lock switch with the metal rod in there and snap it back in place.

10: Also, don't forget to reattach the dome light and don't forget to stick the window and lock harnesses back through the hole before you put the panel on.

11. The panel slides right back on - you will see where there are these big white plastic hooks that fit in the door holes. Just line them up and cuss at it a bit and it will go back in.

12. Put screws back in, reattach plastic pieces, and you are don.

This whole project will probably take you no more than 2 hours for both doors.

Good luck!

Make sure that you replace BOTH door speakers, not just the driver's side.

and three way will give you more high then a two

it adds and extra tweeter

FALSE! Most "three-way," "four-way," "five-way," etc. speakers are nothing but cheap marketing gimmicks. The extra tweeters do NOTHING to improve the sound quality.

I think you can even take it up to 6 3/4"
6-3/4" is actually the correct size, but 6-1/2" will fit with a little modification.

Make sure that you replace BOTH door speakers, not just the driver's side.

and three way will give you more high then a two

it adds and extra tweeter

FALSE! Most "three-way," "four-way," "five-way," etc. speakers are nothing but cheap marketing gimmicks. The extra tweeters do NOTHING to improve the sound quality.

I think you can even take it up to 6 3/4"
6-3/4" is actually the correct size, but 6-1/2" will fit with a little modification.

I put the 6.5" Boston's in my truck door and the mounting ring barely made it to the edge of the opening. I had to put the screws in at an angle. Try to get a real 6.75" speaker.

Archived