Dismount Spare Tire

I bought a 2005 GMC 1500 Sierra cash and I didnt get a manual with the truck. How can I obtain a manual?

Secondly, how do I get this spare tire down from under-neath the truck?

Do I need tools? Or am I suppose to muscle it out with my bare hands, sos somebody.

Why cant things be simple like they used to be back in the day.

To get the spare down, you need the jack rods...The square end goes into the hole in your bumper and winds down the winch, which should release the tire.

I just found out, that for the confirmation.

Looking inside the whole its a straight shot. Once a welder always a welder. im just going to make my own.

There should be a vinyl bag (behind the seat on a std cab or under the rear seat on the passenger side for an extended cab) that will contain the 3 rods that you need to lower the spare. These rods also serve to operate the jack.

The only reason there are three separate rods is so that the bag can be stowed in a fairly small space.

It was not mentioned that one needs the ignition key to unlock the small door covering the hole on the bumper so the rod can be inserted. The spare tire lock is optional but most trucks come with a keyed lock.

Thanks, I looked everywhere, just to be sure I went as far as to uncover some carpet & sound deadening carpet to be sure I tossed the cab completely. No plastic bag or key for the tow compartment. I went ahead & saw zawed off the plastic tube behind the bumber, pulled off the rest of the plastic housing.

Using a series of socket extensions, a couple diff. socket adapters, I then used 1/2 inch. multi (series of notches)hexed socket. then lowered the tire. I was even able to use my small impact drill to reverse it in no time. Its a work truck, so I dont think any ladies will notice.

My old nissan truck didnt have all this plastic housing or anything like that, it was alot easier to get to a spare tire than this one, But I can understand why GMC went through this much effort.

Watching those MacGyver shows in the 80s payed off. :)

My old nissan truck didnt have all this plastic housing or anything like that, it was alot easier to get to a spare tire than this one, But I can understand why GMC went through this much effort.

+1. My '95 Nissan SE V6 4x4 king cab was a great truck. :)

Thanks, I looked everywhere, just to be sure I went as far as to uncover some carpet & sound deadening carpet to be sure I tossed the cab completely. No plastic bag or key for the tow compartment. I went ahead & saw zawed off the plastic tube behind the bumber, pulled off the rest of the plastic housing.

Using a series of socket extensions, a couple diff. socket adapters, I then used 1/2 inch. multi (series of notches)hexed socket. then lowered the tire. I was even able to use my small impact drill to reverse it in no time. Its a work truck, so I dont think any ladies will notice.

Watching those MacGyver shows in the 80s payed off. :sigh:

Did you attempt to open the spare tire lock w/ the ignition key? I think you destroyed it for no reason. :)

Depending on where your located and the kind of driving you do, you may wish to relocate your spare to the bed of your truck. There is nothing worse then

-20C and finding that that fun little setup under your truck is iced up when you need your spare.

The Ignition Key was not needed anywhere. The Spare lock has no key entry. I just opened the cover with my pinky, the 2 or 3 piece spare tire lowering rod I'm suppose to use to lower the tire. I got a quote for $80 for such a bar. I dont see the logic in spending $80 for a long bar with a socket in the end.

I plan on getting a shell or a tool box for my truck, so I can put my 2 1/2 ton hydrolic jack in there along with my personal saftey equipment in case I have a break down.

I live in Az & I drive like an old man, being 29 I just take it easy on the road. I actually plan on buying a small compact car for descent gas milage sometime.

I want to say, Thanks Again, I didnt know GMC made the rods into a multi funcional tool.

I dont have a manual so, its a good thing I already have a hydrolic jack and now, I already have a tool to lower the spare tire. I'll just have to be a bit more insightful when I buy my next car used from someone.

pm26, I had a 97 Nissan 4cyl. King Cab. I miss that truck. I hated working on it, because the room was tight in the engine, I managed, but It was a dependible work truck with over 200k miles.

I live in Az & I drive like an old man, being 29 I just take it easy on the road. I actually plan on buying a small compact car for descent gas milage sometime.

I want to say, Thanks Again, I didnt know GMC made the rods into a multi funcional tool.

I dont have a manual so, its a good thing I already have a hydrolic jack and now, I already have a tool to lower the spare tire. I'll just have to be a bit more insightful when I buy my next car used from someone.

pm26, I had a 97 Nissan 4cyl. King Cab. I miss that truck. I hated working on it, because the room was tight in the engine, I managed, but It was a dependible work truck with over 200k miles.

You can sign up on www.mygmlink.com and download an electronic copy of your owners manual for free.

Depending on where your located and the kind of driving you do, you may wish to relocate your spare to the bed of your truck. There is nothing worse then

-20C and finding that that fun little setup under your truck is iced up when you need your spare.

True. But there's nothing worse than coming out to your truck and finding that someone has "borrowed" your spare.

:lol:

I've had 5 flats in the last year, a couple during the bad winter, and haven't had anything freeze yet. Now piles of snow in the bed, yes :-) Finally got some better tires this year. The Good Year tires that came with the truck didn't give me much luck.

IMHO I like Chevy's design. I think the jack and tools are easily located in the truck and the tire drops down fairly easy. I know a lot of people complain about the manufacture's jack, but Chevy's seems to work really good. JMO. I would have borrowed someone's tools from another truck before I cut into things underneath.

Archived