P0332 Knock Sensor 2002 Sierra..help !

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine were 40 dollars each from advanced and came with a lifetime warranty. If you order them online you will get free shipping and use coupon code BIG30 save 30%. Torque value is key on the project, so go to harbor freigh and get you a torque wrench that does inch pounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered all the parts I needed....

Harness and 2 knock sensors form Ebay for $94 US Free Shipping.

Intake and Throttle Body Gaskets from Rock Auto for $45 US Shipped.

• 4 months later...

Thanks, Nice helpful pics and write up. My Knock recently started kicking a code, I wish I had changed them earlier, I have noticed a drop in MPG and Power in the past year or more but it ran great so I did not correct the issue till now as I am getting the PO332 code.

Just change both sensors, wiring harness, and use black RTV to seal the cups to the valley cover. I have done it on the 4.8 and I'm waiting for the 6.0 the have the issue. Its a common problem. There's a TSB out for it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

• 5 months later...

I own a 2003 Avalanche 1500 4x4 that sounds like has this issue.

Last week during a heavy rain on my way to work I ended up entering an intersection where the water was over 18" deep at about 30-35 mph. I didn't see it due to the heavy rain and it was dark out. I have never seen so much water in this intersection before so it was a big surprise. It was deep enough to put water up over my hood when I hit it so I am guessing it was atleast at the bumper level.

So anyhow, I notice the next day when I was going home from work that I was posting a code and so I hooked up my computer and it gave me a CO332. I reset the code and it came back almost immediately. (Using a laptop with a ODBII scanner and the free software it came with.)

The day prior I had my AC recharged. The AC started loosing its cool in June and was totally gone by the time July got here. I noticed the truck was idling rough after the recharge and almost dies. It ran pretty smooth prior to this time. Prior to reading this thread I wondered if the shop did something when they recharged the AC to trip this code. I am suspecting that the shop may be less than honorable. This thread leads me into a direction that this is a common issue and not my shops fault. Especially after hitting the puddle like I did.

So I am guessing at this point that I will pull the intake and find a "mess" under there. Because this is my only vehicle and I have limited funds I am looking at doing this myself. I am trying to get a parts list together of likely things to change.

This truck has about 215,000 miles on it but I believe they were mostly highway miles since the interior looks better than trucks with 30,000 miles on them. I bought the truck 2 years ago and have put about 30,000 miles on it and it has been a pretty good truck so far. This being my first real repair since I bought the truck.

For tools it looks like I need regular socket sets.. Assuming Metric across the board. I have fuel release tools so I am guessing this will save me from needing the o-rings. Other than that I just need a 22mm socket with an extension, flat screw driver and pliers?

So I need intake gaskets, TB gaskets, both knock sensors, harness, silicon, brake cleaner and lots of rags. Am I missing anything?

Anything else that hooks to this intake that would be a good idea to also replace while I am there? PCV valve perhaps? Anything else I need to be careful of when I do this?

Thanks!

Throttle body doesnt have to be removed. Just intake gaskets

Sent from my Samsung GS4 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Thanks, but if I want to clean the TB I should probably get a gasket for it I assume although this is really not related.

Looking at rock auto it looks like I can get everything so I guess I should do a listing of what parts I see to see if I am missing anything and maybe this can help out someone else...

All rock auto parts...

VICTOR REINZ Part # MIS16340 - Master Set - Contains intake and valve cover gaskets and all misc gaskets and seals needed for intake installation. (Shows what appears to be the o-rings for the injectors too.. Don't have leaky valve covers so could do that on another day. But looks to be better quality than Fel-Pro? ) $63.79

DELPHI Part # AS10017 - Knock sensor $32.79

(AC Delco part is $41.99. Does it matter? Both should be GM parts right?)

Need 2

DORMAN Part # 917033 - Knock sensor harness $25.89

VICTOR REINZ Part # G31617 - TB Gasket - $3.91 (Optional but will likely clean up as well.)

You dont pill the valve covers so you just need the intake and TB gasket. I cleaned my tb on the manifold

Sent from my Samsung GS4 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all, first post here, and thank you to all contributors.

Same here - we bought truck a couple weeks ago, was doing a little cleanup as it was fairly dirty, gave engine a hose down, next time I drove it within 5-10 minutes the SES light came on and I started noticing pinging under acceleration.... I really want to rant about this design fail, but I am sure you all feel the same way. :)

So now I have read this thread, am getting ready to order all my parts etc..

The question I have is due to some having issues with new knock sensors being bad, I am wondering if these can be successfully tested without actually running them in the truck. I know I can test the resistance/ohms "Resistance should be 3300-4500 ohms" with it not installed, but as far as the voltage "The "good sensor" was very consistent and gave good readings from .0025 to .0100 (approx) volts AC... the bad sensor had the correct resistance, but only put out about half the voltage". Can this be tested before installing? I'm guessing these are piezoelectric ? (makes it own power from movement) since they only have one wire going to them, then, if so, theoretically I could test it just by holding the sensor against another running engine and measure its voltage. I could compare between the two new ones as I plan on doing both at the same time.

I just do not want to get it all back together and find out one of the new ones is bad, and have to redo it.

Thoughts? Anyone else try this?

Thanks for the input.

After completing this job, I have a couple thoughts/notes.

For sure get all new parts including harness, probably a good idea to get OEM/AC Delco. The connectors on my harness completely shattered when I tried to unplug them. The material they use clearly does not age well in that application.

I was able to test the AC Volts on the new knock sensors before installing via just hooking up the DMM and lightly tapping each one with my finger. I also tested again after installed with the wire harness connected, but before putting the intake back on, just to be sure it was all good and there was a proper connection through the harness/ground.

As I mentioned before we bought this truck used with around 215k miles. When I got it apart to do the repair I discovered that it had been done before, possibly by a dealer or at least someone that followed the service bulletin procedure with putting the little U shaped dam of silicon around the hole. IMHO this is a complete joke, the rear knock sensor hole was over half full of water, the rubber plug for that hole was loose and would wiggle in the hole. So the only way I see a half decent fix (like quite a few others) is to silicon the actual plug where it fits into the hole, and also around where the wire goes through the plug. Unless the plugs shrink drastically or the silicon goes bad, this should theoretically provide a decent seal for a while. (I hope)

• 1 year later...

3/4 socket will not not fit on 5.3L knock sensor. The closest is 7/8 or a 22mm deep socket. Just found that out today when doing my sensors. Anyone know the size of the fuel disconnect tool. I think its 5/16" but not too sure?

here's a good video with the specific fuel line disconnect. However, in video they didn't seal new sensor nor replace intake gasket!

Archived