What Is The Difference Between Gmc And Chevrolet?

Like the title asks, what is the difference between the two. I am under the impression that the only difference is the name- you are paying for the name GMC. I was talking to a guy the other day when he asked me about my GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab. I told him that I wanted a Chevy but got the GMC because it was a great deal. He then tells me that I made the right choice because the GMC has a better frame and a better powertrain. I told him that's not true, I've had a half dozen trucks, and that they are the same nuts and bolts except for the design. He then tells me that he was told this by a "worker at GMC" and he kept swearing by it! I just ended the conversation then and said I'll bet ya lunch that I am right. So, what is the difference if any other than the design?

Thanks

Only difference between the two models is

Options availability in packages - I am guessing so that if you can't get what you want in a Chevrolet you may be able to find it in a GMC.

Different Body Panels

Taillights

Front Appearance

Dealer Network - however a Chevy dealer will work on a GMC and vise versa

Only difference between the two models is

Options availability in packages - I am guessing so that if you can't get what you want in a Chevrolet you may be able to find it in a GMC.

Different Body Panels

Taillights

Front Appearance

Dealer Network - however a Chevy dealer will work on a GMC and vise versa

Sounds logical to me. :lol:

GMC and Chevy cost exactly the same if you option them the same. The only differences are cosmetic and option package configuration. They also each have unique models such as the Avalanche and the Denali but the basic trucks are built on the same assembly lines.

Funny thing happened to the local GMC and a Chevy dealer 50 miles away. I know the GMC dealer and he came in one morning to find this new Chevy truck on his lot that was dropped off by the truck carrier overnight. No sooner had he noticed that when the phone rings and it the Chevy dealer calling, he's got his GMC truck on his lot. They were both the same color/style truck and the driver left them at the wrong place. Since they were dropped in error they had to notify the carrier to re-deliver them, the truck driver had to backtrack over 100 miles. Until the carrier delivers them to the correct dealer its still his responsibility for the vehicle. The truck was ordered by one of the techs dad.

I worked 30 yrs for a gov't agency. Most of our survey crew trucks where suburbans. There was time that GM decided we were getting the GMC version instead of the always Chevy nameplate. Back in 1981 we got one with GMC emblems/grill on the outside and Chevy emblems on the inside (horn button and dash).

Can't seem to kill the myth.

Nothing against sales people here, but I think some/few salesmen/women perpetuate this myth.

The dealer I ended up purchasing my 2008 GMC Sierra. This dealer was always a Chevrolet dealer and the GMC dealer was across town - for decades. I initially priced out a Chevrolet. After visiting a few/many dealers of both GMC and Chevrolet, I went back to this Chevrolet dealer - who had recently picked up the GMC franchise.

I ordered my truck.

I entered dealership and visited the sales manager and stated that I wanted the same truck (as the Chevrolet) but the GMC model. I had the printout of the Chevrolet provided by saleman from this dealership. He promplty stated that the GMC would probably price out more. In his mind for some reason he thought the GMC was more. Well, the same software and the same option codes - the truck price/cost was exactly the same.

Granted some option packages are different in some versions . I was only concerned with the Work Truck. Same. Same.

Archived