Photo
- - - - -

Emission Code P0446

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 dly_2001

dly_2001

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

Truck Specs: 2005 GMC 1500 4WD with 5.3L V8 Engine. Fuel Injected with Automatic 4 speed transmission. 28,500 Miles.

Problem: Approximately 3 months ago I received the SES light with a P0445 Code (gross evap leakage) on my way home from camp (dirt roads). After I reset the code a few times it always came back before I eventually blew out the EVAP vent valve with compressed air. I got a pretty good amount of dirt to come out of it. I thought the problem was fixed. I also replaced the gas cap.
Now I'm getting P0446 code for circuitry trouble.

Before I go throwing parts at this thing, I'd rather get an honest opinion of what the problem could be. I'm mechanical inclined enough to replace the parts myself I'd just like to save a few trips to the dealer. I do usually fill the truck up with gas as full as I can get it - which leads me to believe that the EVAP canister is probably full of mud & gas.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Edited by dly_2001, 13 November 2008 - 01:55 PM.

#2 bobinvt

bobinvt

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:10 AM

Truck Specs: 2005 GMC 1500 4WD with 5.3L V8 Engine. Fuel Injected with Automatic 4 speed transmission. 28,500 Miles.

Problem: Approximately 3 months ago I received the SES light with a P0445 Code (gross evap leakage) on my way home from camp (dirt roads). After I reset the code a few times it always came back before I eventually blew out the EVAP vent valve with compressed air. I got a pretty good amount of dirt to come out of it. I thought the problem was fixed. I also replaced the gas cap.
Now I'm getting P0446 code for circuitry trouble.

Before I go throwing parts at this thing, I'd rather get an honest opinion of what the problem could be. I'm mechanical inclined enough to replace the parts myself I'd just like to save a few trips to the dealer. I do usually fill the truck up with gas as full as I can get it - which leads me to believe that the EVAP canister is probably full of mud & gas.

Any opinions? Thanks.

You might try blowing out the EVAP canister. It has worked for me.

#3 Super Stealth

Super Stealth

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,051 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:26 PM

How about a FREE fix??

Consult your warranty manual.

8yr / 80,000 mile emissions warranty. Use it.

There is an udated Evap Vent Valve Kit for thses trucks. Your truck qualifies.
2010 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
EXTENDED CAB,STANDARD BOX
LIFE IS GREAT WITH THE 4.8

#4 JA_Silverado_04

JA_Silverado_04

Enthusiast

• 30 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:14 AM

Just FYI, it is my understanding that only certain "Major Emissions Components" are covered for 8YR 80K miles. These include { Catalytic Converter, OBD Computer, ECU}. The rest of the emissions components are only covered for 2 years or 24K miles by the EPA warranty or longer by the bumper-to-bumper MFG warranty.

There is a TSB concerning P0446, you should be able to find a lot of information with a quick search.

Edited by JA_Silverado_04, 15 November 2008 - 11:18 AM.