'99 5.3 Freeze Plug(s)..

Instructions say-to remove left-rear freeze-plug,install heater there..

Under-the-truck,discovered only a brass(?) threaded(?) plug/insert,with a hex indentation (for removal?)..

Did-NOT see any-other 'typical' freeze-plugs,either-side of lower block..

Apparently,things-have-changed since i last did my '93 FoMoCo 460ci; THIS engine is a way-different horse-to-ride!

Truck is on-the-ramps/coolant drained,i'm a-foot till this gets figured-out..probably simple but,i'm still-learning on this unit.LOTS-of-things ain't-the-way-they-were! (grin!)

Any ideas?

Instructions say-to remove left-rear freeze-plug,install heater there..

Under-the-truck,discovered only a brass(?) threaded(?) plug/insert,with a hex indentation (for removal?)..

Did-NOT see any-other 'typical' freeze-plugs,either-side of lower block..

Apparently,things-have-changed since i last did my '93 FoMoCo 460ci; THIS engine is a way-different horse-to-ride!

Truck is on-the-ramps/coolant drained,i'm a-foot till this gets figured-out..probably simple but,i'm still-learning on this unit.LOTS-of-things ain't-the-way-they-were! (grin!)

Any ideas?

"I think? If i remember correctly?"

I'm assuming those words referred-to the tool-size needed..noticing the # of 'wrenches'/posts you've accumulated,i'm gonna take your word for it. I'm gonna-fix another pot of joe,head-out the door,see-what i can tear-up..

Thank you for your knowledge..

Dale is right. It is 17MM.

Unbolting the driveshaft at the front, moving it out of the way, and using an impact wrench (or 1/2 inch ratchet) with an extension and a 17MM hex socket makes it an easy 10 minute job.

I originally tried a 17MM hex key with my arm up in there and I could not get enough torque on that sucker to break it loose.

Archived