Installing Brake Control.

Hi! this is my first post. Im installing a brake control for a trailer. my problem is, what wires do i hook up to my fuse box under the hood. I see one red wire. where is this other wire I hook up? i've searched the web and cant find anything bout it. the truck is a 2001 silverado Z71 4x4. also at the rear of the truck I only have 6 wires not seven. where is my black wire. is there one? thanks.

When I put a controller in my old 2000 GMC Sierra there was no wire to hook up under the hood if I remember correctly. Just plug in the harness into the BCM(?) and connect it to your controler harnis. The fuse was in the main fuse box under the hood, Stud 1 or 2 i believe.

The 2001 will have a connector that plugs into a 'wiring box' (don't recall the official name) that is located under the dash, in the upper left corner on the drivers' side.

Check with your dealership to get a wireharness. Much easier to install the brake controller that way. :uhoh:

You'll still have to install a fuse in the fuse box to activate the charging circuit in the wire hardness for the trailer (if required).

TrailerFuse.jpg

I did buy the harness under the dash. its all wired up to the controller.

I need to make the connection at the fuse box under the hood. I need to know what wire I need to hook to stud#1 and stud#2. i believe that the red wire goes to stud#2. what wire do I hook up at stud#1

so here is the solution. for anybody that has a 01 silverado with out a tow package.

find the red wire under the master cycliner and place it on stud #2 on fuse box under hood.

the blue wire is under the master cylinder also. it has a plug on it.(see pic above) this wire will have to be ran to the back of the truck to the trailer plug at the bumper.

you also will need to install the brake control.

Archived