Led Bulbs In Drls?

YZINGERR

Question

GM says not to use common 3156 and 3157 LED bulbs for the 4114 Day-time running lights (DRLs).. why not?

I am trying to understand why you cannot use 3156 or 3157 bulbs for DRLS.

I have seen 4114 DRL specific LEDs for sale, but they are $50 a pair as opposed to the 3156 LEDs that are $15 a pair.

Thanks!

post-47763-1227914630_thumb.jpg

0 answers to this question

OK, that's a starting point. Now what is the power rating for the 4114 bulb; I should of asked this simultaneously with the previous reply.

Without knowing the answer, one can hypothesize, that if the operating range of the 3156 & 3157 are within the operating range of the 4114, then they would be worthy of an experimental try out.

As long as the 3156 / 3157 have equal, or lower power ratings to that of the 4114, then they should work.

I cannot find the 4114 output rating, but I read on a Cadillac CTS fortum that they were having the same problem/question.

I guess a 4114 is the same as a 3156, but it can handle a higher wattage(?) as the early Caddys/GM vehicles HAD the 3156 bulbs that were only rated for 14 watts(?) and the DRL would spike to upwards of 15-16 watts(?) and the 3156 bulbs would blow.

It was a common occurrence and the fix was the 4114 bulb.

I should say that the reason that i am asking this question in the first place is because i have had 3156 LED white bulbs in the truck for about a year now, and both of them have problems now.

The right DRL LED is "strobing" on some of the LEDs, while some of the other LEDs on the same tower cluster appear to have burned out.

The left DRL LED has about half of the LEDs on the tower burned out, and it flickers once in a while now.

I read that the LEDs can handle the occasional power surge, but not for a prolongued time. I wish i had saved the link i had found on the caddy forum....

<br />
OK, that's a starting point. Now what is the power rating for the 4114 bulb; I should of asked this simultaneously with the previous reply.<br /><br />Without knowing the answer, one can hypothesize, that if the operating range of the 3156 & 3157 are within the operating range of the 4114, then they would be worthy of an experimental try out. <br /><br />As long as the 3156 / 3157 have equal, or lower power ratings to that of the 4114, then they should work.
<br /><br />I cannot find the 4114 output rating, but I read on a Cadillac CTS fortum that they were having the same problem/question. <br />I guess a 4114 is the same as a 3156, but it can handle a higher wattage(?) as the early Caddys/GM vehicles HAD the 3156 bulbs that were only rated for 14 watts(?) and the DRL would spike to upwards of 15-16 watts(?) and the 3156 bulbs would blow.<br />It was a common occurrence and the fix was the 4114 bulb.<br /><br />I should say that the reason that i am asking this question in the first place is because i have had 3156 LED white bulbs in the truck for about a year now, and both of them have problems now.<br />The right DRL LED is "strobing" on some of the LEDs, while some of the other LEDs on the same tower cluster appear to have burned out.<br />The left DRL LED has about half of the LEDs on the tower burned out, and it flickers once in a while now.<br /><br />I read that the LEDs can handle the occasional power surge, but not for a prolongued time. I wish i had saved the link i had found on the caddy forum....<br />

Based on this, one would need to put a 12 vdc voltage regulator circuit just before (in proximity of it) the lamp socket, thereby enabeling the use of lower power rated bulbs.

thank you, I read that the guy did that as well in the caddy forum.

OK, that's a starting point. Now what is the power rating for the 4114 bulb; I should of asked this simultaneously with the previous reply.

Without knowing the answer, one can hypothesize, that if the operating range of the 3156 & 3157 are within the operating range of the 4114, then they would be worthy of an experimental try out.

As long as the 3156 / 3157 have equal, or lower power ratings to that of the 4114, then they should work.

GM says not to use common 3156 and 3157 LED bulbs for the 4114 Day-time running lights (DRLs).. why not?

I have seen 4114 DRL specific LEDs for sale, but they are $50 a pair as opposed to the 3156 LEDs that are $15 a pair.

Thanks!

Whats the power rating, number of watts, for the 3156 and 3157 bulbs?

Thanks!

Whats the power rating, number of watts, for the 3156 and 3157 bulbs?

unfortunately i dont have those numbers, they dont say on the package.

a website that i found had these figures though:

3156 white 25 LEDs(single filament replacement): :

Operating: 9~14.8 volts DC,

Draw: 52Ma @12V

3157 white 25 LEDs (dual filament replacement):

Operating: 9~14.8 volts DC,

Draw: 20/54 Ma (Hi/Low) @12V

Im interested in their single 3 watt 3156 replacement that is:

Operating: 9~14.8 Volts DC

Draw: 65Ma @12 Volts

(These bulbs use an active driver that keeps the current draw constant over the entire operating voltage range)

<br />
OK, that's a starting point. Now what is the power rating for the 4114 bulb; I should of asked this simultaneously with the previous reply.<br /><br />Without knowing the answer, one can hypothesize, that if the operating range of the 3156 & 3157 are within the operating range of the 4114, then they would be worthy of an experimental try out. <br /><br />As long as the 3156 / 3157 have equal, or lower power ratings to that of the 4114, then they should work.
<br /><br />I cannot find the 4114 output rating, but I read on a Cadillac CTS fortum that they were having the same problem/question. <br />I guess a 4114 is the same as a 3156, but it can handle a higher wattage(?) as the early Caddys/GM vehicles HAD the 3156 bulbs that were only rated for 14 watts(?) and the DRL would spike to upwards of 15-16 watts(?) and the 3156 bulbs would blow.<br />It was a common occurrence and the fix was the 4114 bulb.<br /><br />I should say that the reason that i am asking this question in the first place is because i have had 3156 LED white bulbs in the truck for about a year now, and both of them have problems now.<br />The right DRL LED is "strobing" on some of the LEDs, while some of the other LEDs on the same tower cluster appear to have burned out.<br />The left DRL LED has about half of the LEDs on the tower burned out, and it flickers once in a while now.<br /><br />I read that the LEDs can handle the occasional power surge, but not for a prolongued time. I wish i had saved the link i had found on the caddy forum....<br />

Based on this, one would need to put a 12 vdc voltage regulator circuit just before (in proximity of it) the lamp socket, thereby enabeling the use of lower power rated bulbs.

Archived