2000 Sierra, Starts Then Dies - Code 1631

2000 GMC sierra

This morning my truck started right up then died immediatly, horn honked for a 1/4 second as well. tried it a few more times the same thing kept happening, only sometimes with the horn.

i unplugged the maf, no different. listened to the fuel pump and it was still going after the truck died.

hooked up a scanner and got code p01631, theft deternt is activating or something.

any idea's on whats wrong? key doesn't appear to have a chip in it but when i took the key out, wiped it off and put it in upside down the truck started and it runs fine. may be a fluke, or maybe the key is bad??? like i said, i dont see a resistor in it like you see in mid 90's gm's.

If there's a way to completely disable theft deternt ill do that too.

No chip in the key on the GMT800's, you can see it on the key. Clean both battery cables and this will while unhooked reset the security system. The security system on your truck has the chip & reader in the ign lock tumbler.

2000 GMC sierra

This morning my truck started right up then died immediatly, horn honked for a 1/4 second as well. tried it a few more times the same thing kept happening, only sometimes with the horn.

i unplugged the maf, no different. listened to the fuel pump and it was still going after the truck died.

hooked up a scanner and got code p01631, theft deternt is activating or something.

any idea's on whats wrong? key doesn't appear to have a chip in it but when i took the key out, wiped it off and put it in upside down the truck started and it runs fine. may be a fluke, or maybe the key is bad??? like i said, i dont see a resistor in it like you see in mid 90's gm's.

If there's a way to completely disable theft deternt ill do that too.

The passlock 2 system in the key lock can do this as mentioned above. The system will reset itself if you turn the key on and leave it on for 15 minutes or so. If the vehicle does not start at this point you may need a new passlock or a bypass unit.

The horn honk tells us you are having trouble with the passlock system. Security system.

Do a search of solutions on the market, some guys in the forums have creative ways to fix this issue.

Your system is looking for an exact match in an OHM reading, if it does not get the match the computer thinks someone is hot wireing your truck. Mine reads 15.5 OHMS between the passlock yellow wire and the passlock ground, but it varies on each vehicle.

thanks, found detailed instructions on re-learning the passkey

1998-2000+ PCM’s will always require an antitheft ‘relearn’ procedure as follows:

(1). Attempt to start vehicle. You MUST rotate the ignition key enough to try to start the vehicle. Vehicle will briefly start and quit. LEAVE KEY ON !!

(2). Observe “Security Light”. The Security light may initially flash, but will remain on steady for a period of 10 minutes, provided you left the key in the ON position. Some earlier trucks will flash between 'security' and 'battery' in the information center. The battery light will be the only remaining indicator if this applies to your vehicle, and will not flash 'security' after 10 minutes. When the security light goes out (10 minutes have expired), turn the KEY OFF—and wait 5 seconds.

(3). Repeat steps (1) through (2) EXACTLY AS STATED an additional 2 more times for a total of 3 relearn attempts. Remember to turn the key off between each of the 3 total relearn attempts as stated in step (2).

(4). Truck or car should start on the 4th attempt, provided you didn’t make a mistake in one of the 3 prior relearn sequences. This is a simple procedure, but often done incorrectly.

If i continue to have issues i will look into bypassing/replacing it. good excuse to get a copy of the key made too.

I bumped into this issue while installing a Bulldog Security Remote Start system in my 2002 Tahoe. It would re learn in one try for me. I never had to go 3 times through. Mine had to relearn because I interupted the signal while installing the Remote Start system. You may have an issue with your signal failing that comes back and bites you again. I hope not but this is a possibility.

If your fix only lasts a couple weeks and comes back you will have your answer.

• 9 months later...
I bumped into this issue while installing a Bulldog Security Remote Start system in my 2002 Tahoe. It would re learn in one try for me. I never had to go 3 times through. Mine had to relearn because I interupted the signal while installing the Remote Start system. You may have an issue with your signal failing that comes back and bites you again. I hope not but this is a possibility.

If your fix only lasts a couple weeks and comes back you will have your answer.

My security light came back on, what are the part numbers for the ignition lock passport? Is it possible to bypass the security stuff?

Archived