Anyone Tried Tire Chains?

The owner's manual says tire chains should not be used with the 265/65/18 setup, but it seems ridiculous to produce a truck that can't use chains. Has anyone tried a "class s" limited clearance tire chain or cable chain product? Possibly the SCC Z series of cable chains?

That is one of my annoyances with the new Tahoe's wheels/tires (275/55R20). Especially when I go skiing and need to at least carry chains to go up and down the mountain. So for winter I'm getting 265/70R17 tires and wheels.

The owner's manual does say to not use chains. The factory Goodyear's are not snow tires, they are just an all season. And from all reports not a good all season at that. I've got the Bridgestone H/L's on right now and will be putting on BFG T/A KO's. Of course none of these are snow tires but the BFG's come close enough without being actual snow tires.

Do you even have to worry about snow gnet?? :ughdance:

Funny guy, I'm hoping I don't when I head up to Big bear this weekend. Our local mountain range if full of snow :rollin:

I'm going to buy a set just in case and return it if I don't use them.

What's considered a snow tire? The CHP is telling everyone that you need either

Chains

**or**

A 4x4 with snow tires?

Do you even have to worry about snow gnet?? :D

Funny guy, I'm hoping I don't when I head up to Big bear this weekend. Our local mountain range if full of snow :D

I'm going to buy a set just in case and return it if I don't use them.

What's considered a snow tire? The CHP is telling everyone that you need either

Chains

**or**

A 4x4 with snow tires?

A tire meant for snow :ughdance::rollin::lol:

Sorry. :D

Used chains last year on my 07 and put them on 285's and they chewed the sh** out of lower part of the rear wheel well's where the mud flap should go. The fronts where fine. I don't know if the chains weren't tight enough (they seemd to be) or the from truck bed bouncing up and down and hitting the chains, I just don't know. The bottom of the wheel wells ares now are rusting and bent up. I haven't had the chance to get them fixed since I've been unemployed for sometime and can't afford it.

I had to have the chains for the areas I was in but if I did it again, I would get a lift or put on smaller tires so theirs plenty of room in the wheel wells. The cable type probably would have worked fine if I was sticking to the main roads. Something to consider next time.

I just read the owners manual and then called the stealership. They say that we should not ever put chains on, and it's been that way for 8 years for Silverado's. They are worried that the chains might tear off the ABS line and sensors. I find it hard to believe that a 30+k 4X4 truck cannot have chains put on it. I just bought chains 2 days ago and I called the tire shop and he said that he has sold 70 pairs of chains for Silverado's just this week. He has been in the business for 25 years and never once heard of that for a truck and he runs chains on his 07.

That I believe is one of the issues behind using chains, is the clearance issues with the fenders as there isn't a lot of clearance. Now a lot depends on the type of chains, the tires you have, the over all size of tire. If you use a cable chain, I would think you would fair better than using a chain tire chain since cable chains are smaller.

My chains are quick fit diamond chains. You know how they list multiple tire sizes for each set of chains, my tires are the largest ones for these particular chains. So the chains for my tires are as tight as they come. I still find it difficult to believe that you cannot put chains on a truck. I know I don't live in a high snow area, but we go to the mountains a lot and if we have to take my Toyota to go play in the snow the wife is going to kill me.

OK, I am the GMT900 tire chain expert.

I run chains on all four wheels ALOT.

I have 17 inch wheels, so I cannot speak for 18's or 20's.

Alloys= just be carefull when putting the chains on and you will be fine.

I have a leveling kit (rough country) and BFG AT's. So under normal snow driving on public roads I do not need chains. But I go up alot of logging/mining roads into some very remote areas, and with chains on all four I can easily get around in some very deep snow.

I had 285/70/17 BFG's, but the chains on the front wheels rubbed real bad on sharp switchbacks, even with the level kit. Cable chains would have been fine, but I am using the real-deal heavy duty Grade 70 hardened steel chains. I switched back to 265/70/17 and with the level my chains have plenty of clearence. I do not think they would work on the front without the level. (cables would be fine)

It sounds like you guys are talking about chains on public roads, cable chains actually work very well for that. I carry a set of cables, and two sets of real chains. The cables are for roads.

Note: while I love my GMT900, my 2004 F150 had plenty of wheelwell room for 285/70/17 BFG's plus tire chains with no level needed. Because I use chains so much, had I realized just how small the wheel wells are on Chevy/GMC's, I probably would have stayed with my Ford. (Sorry, I realize I will get flamed for saying that, but it is true. Why does GM have such tight clearence for tires ? It seems mostly a styling issue.)

Archived