Why Caint I Get A Damn Door Key Made!

NX BRAD

I am just trying to get a spare door key made and it seems that, I just keep coming up with more questions than keys. My brother-in-law bought a 2008 HD just like mine and the other day he locked his keys in it. So he called ONSTAR and they said they could not open the doors and didn't give a reason . He had to wait until his wife showed up with the extra set. We know how long that can be! So I stopped by wall-mart to just get a door key made and they scaned it and said they couldnt becuse it has a chip in it. So I stopped by a small mom and pop hardware store, and he didnt even have a key that came close. So my question is will a GM dealership just make a door key or am i stuck having to buy a chipped key, and just what is the cost of that? Im getting tired of all the new gidgits that take away from my old way of life. :drool::lol:

I went thru the same thing with my wife's car, I lost my set and was told by walmart it had a chip and they could not make one, Dealer claimed they had to program the key to the tune of $125, I'll hot wire it before I pay that much for a key, but I found a locksmith who not only cut a new key but program the key and the cost was $50. The dealer told me only they had the program for the key but they are wrong.

when i worked at the depot , we made keys all the time that had chips in them.... only thing is the duplicate will not work the ignition. Try a locksmith , or if they dont even have the blank, buy the blank off ebay and have as locksmith cut it

but I found a locksmith who not only cut a new key but program the key and the cost was $50. The dealer told me only they had the program for the key but they are wrong.

This is good to know. I paid $125 for a key to my Buick.

Here you go. This is where I got 3 for mine. Programmed them myself with his instructions. Had to get a local hardware locksmith to cut them for a whopping $ 1.50 each......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-G...71165QQtcZphoto

Now, quit whinin' :drool:

Woops, that was a GMC key. Here is the Chevy ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-08-CHE...40935QQtcZphoto

C

In case somebody else is looking for a replacement "transponder"

GM key and don't wanna pay dealer price:

http://www.ikeyless.com/chevrolet/silverad.../silverado/keys

NOTE: IF your key has this cross in the circle (at the top of the

Shank under the plastic head) then you have a transponder key:

gm_key_750.jpg

Easy to program the new key to your truck without going to the

dealer or playing with the Tech 2 machine!

Insert the first programmed key into the ignition and turn it to the RUN position (do not start the engine), wait for the security light to go out, remove key.

Insert the NEW key into the ignition, turn it to RUN (engine off), wait for the security light to go out.

When the light goes out the key is programmed. This should work for all GMC, Pontiac, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, Saturn and Hummer vehicles. This should be a time saver for people who would like to purchase these chip keys online.

To have these keys cut, any local Locksmith in your area should be able to do it for you at a very minimal charge.

http://www.cheapfobs.com/blog/key-programming/gm-mazda-ford/

I am just trying to get a spare door key made and it seems that, I just keep coming up with more questions than keys. My brother-in-law bought a 2008 HD just like mine and the other day he locked his keys in it. So he called ONSTAR and they said they could not open the doors and didn't give a reason . He had to wait until his wife showed up with the extra set. We know how long that can be! So I stopped by wall-mart to just get a door key made and they scaned it and said they couldnt becuse it has a chip in it. So I stopped by a small mom and pop hardware store, and he didnt even have a key that came close. So my question is will a GM dealership just make a door key or am i stuck having to buy a chipped key, and just what is the cost of that? Im getting tired of all the new gidgits that take away from my old way of life. :sigh::fume:

The dealer charged me about $44 for a new transponder key and they programmed it (IIRC programming it consists of starting the truck with an existing key and then starting it with the new key within 30 seconds).

Archived