When To Use 4hi

This is my first 4x4 so be kind.

Went up to Big bear (local mountain resort) and towards the higher elevations 8K there was a mix of slush, snow, and some wet roads headed up. So I stopped my truck, put her into 4hi and continued up. Once I got to dry road I stopped again and put her back into 2hi.

My question:

Could I just have left here in 4hi all the way (even on dry roads)? The reason I put her back in 2hi was because I didn't want to mess anything up.

One a side note, even with the cheap stock goodyear LS tires I never had any problems, she handled great.

I think the only time I would have used 4HI was if the roads were completely snow covered (freshly fallen, hard-pack, or ice). As long as the road surface was visible in the conditions you saw, 2WD should have been fine. If you had felt some slippage at the rear wheels, then going into 4HI could be a help.

For clear pavement (wet or dry) 2WD is all you need. 4HI might too hard on the front driveline on dry pavement.

You should not have to stop or slow down to shift between 2WD and 4HI with either the manual transfer case or with the electronic transfer

case. Check your owner's manual for operation of the 4WD transfer case.

My 08 has the auto transfer case so when there is snow on the ground, I'll switch to "Auto" and let the system decide between 2WD and 4HI.

Our roads are snow covered right now, and so I am using 4hi when I need to get around. On roads that are plowed, I switch to Auto and let the system work for me. I read up on changing to 4lo should I need to, but I cannot see where it would be necessary. The owners manual does have a paragraph in it about when 4X4 is recommended, and snow and ice conditions are definetly one of the conditions. And going from 2X4 to 4hi, there is no speed restriction when changing to and from. Only going to 4lo requires a stopped vehicle or extremely slow moving vehicle.

This is my first 4x4 so be kind.

Went up to Big bear (local mountain resort) and towards the higher elevations 8K there was a mix of slush, snow, and some wet roads headed up. So I stopped my truck, put her into 4hi and continued up. Once I got to dry road I stopped again and put her back into 2hi.

My question:

Could I just have left here in 4hi all the way (even on dry roads)? The reason I put her back in 2hi was because I didn't want to mess anything up.

One a side note, even with the cheap stock goodyear LS tires I never had any problems, she handled great.

Don't you have AutoTrac?

gnet, it was a good choice to throw it back into 2wd on the dry pavement. Leaving it in 4hi will wear the front driveline quicker and give you worse fuel economy.

I only use 4hi in deeper snow-covered roads, or when it is extremely icy and I am trying to accelerate from stop lights or merge into traffic from a stand-still.

Other than that, I leave it in 2wd so I can have a bit of fun in the snow :D

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I do have autotrac and the electronic transfer case. Is there anything special I need to do to get my truck into 4Low? I tried it yesterday in the snow but it would just blink? I know about going under 25 mph in 4Low, but I was stopped and tried to engage it but it would just blink? I just wanted to try is since everything's new.

***Never mind**** I just read the onwers manual and it says your suppose to engage 4Low while the truck is rolloing (3 mph or less) and have it in N. And I was at a stop.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I do have autotrac. Is there anything special I need to do to get my truck into 4Low? I tried it yesterday in the snow but it would just blink? I know about going under 25 mph in 4Low, but I was stopped and tried to engage it but it would just blink? I just wanted to try is since everything's new.

The proper procedure for shifting into 4LO with the Auto transfer case is on pages 2-47 and 2-48 in the owner's manual. The whole procedure is there.

Basically, you should be moving forward at 1-2MPH and shift into Neutral. Then move the dial to 4LO and wait for the indicator light to stop flashing before shifting into gear.

Going back to 4HI, Auto or 2WD, do the opposite, vehicle ar 1-2 MPH, shift into neutral, move the dial, wait for the indicator to stop flashing then shift into gear.

We just had a snow fall and the plows haven't gotten everything off the streets and parking lots yet. I am using 4HI almost everywhere I go because while there's little loose snow left, everything's been polished into ice and slick hard-pack snow at every intersection. I laugh at the 2WD suckers as I launch from intersections on the green.

As soon as I see bare pavement that's not gleaming, I go into 2WD or AUTO. I also switch when I need to make a U-turn so I'm not stressing the front drivetrain.

Try to avoid switching between 4-Hi and Auto and 2WD as much as possible. If your driving will include parts that are dry and parts that are snowy/icy/wet, leave it in Auto until the road conditions improve and then put it back into 2WD. I've found that the Transfer Case on our trucks is much like the Transmission, very sucky and weak and easy to break.

Lots of snow here roads have not been clear for weeks. I drive mostly in AUTO 4x4 and only use 4HI when I need it such as climbing a steep slippery hill. I rarely drive down the road in 4HI because it can be hard to pull out of a spin with the front wheels locked in, been there on that.

I have owned a 4x4 trucks since 1975 + plus I drove a 4x4 'burban at work (Survey crew Leader).

If you are sliding they you are driving to fast for conditions. If I drive down my snow covered street and turn the corner at 25 mph I will slide but when I slow down to 10 mph I do not.

btw - I had the similar color short box 4x4 as in the photo above, it was a 92 and was my plow truck. I sold it a few years back.

20050116-6.jpg

Archived