Torsion Bar Adjustment For Plow

The plow guys would be the ones to ask,

http://www.plowsite.com/

I think it depends more on how much your frontend drips when you lift the blade than if your bottoming out. Sometimes you just need to lift the blade a bit just watch your temp. gauge, you don't want to block the radiator with the plow. Angle the plow to the right too, that allows more air flow.

I cranked mine on my old 88 when I added my Fisher plow.

debaged008Small.jpg

I have the Western Ultramount on my '05 E/C also. My torsion is turned up quite a bit because I am running 285 tires and I still bottom out often because of how low these mounts are on the GM's. Even with the 285's those plow receivers only sit about a foot off the ground. I never leave the receivers installed when I am not plowing because of this. It's only 2 pins and I leave them sitting with the plow until needed.

For those unfamiliar with the Western Ultramount set-up, they actually sit BELOW the front airdam on my GMC and then hang down about 8 inches, plus stick out the front about 8 inches.

i installed a 8' boss on a 02 cc lb D-max and the torsion bars were cranked a lil allready but i also installed a timbren kit up front. Timbren is the company, and what they are is a hard rubber bout 3"tall that replaces the factory foam bumpstops. raised the front bout an inch over all. and only cost bout $200

I cranked the torsion bars on my 01 to level the stance of my truck, and it did help out with the bottoming out of the plow. i raised mine about 2 inches.. but remember to have the alignment checked afterwards because I didn't and it chewed up the front tires pretty quickly

gallery_17391_146_6603.jpg

Sometimes you have to turn up the torsion bars.. the plow mount is supposed to be a minimum of 15" off the ground on the GMT-900's for "The Boss" plows..

and when you put the mount on and even if you jam it all the way up as far as it will go its still an inch too low..

I have a 2003 2500HD, just had plow put on,7-1/2 pro plow ultramount, should i have the torsion bars turned up to help out seems to bottem pretty easy, going up driveway, is this commen??? and how do i go about adjusting if i do? how much do i go

I've got an 04 with an 8' Fisher HD plow, and I turned my bars about 1.5 turns. Just jack up the truck to take pressure off the torsions, I like to spray the bolts down good with a lubricant and let it soak for a couple minutes, then just take your time and crank them. Just keep track of how much you turn each one, and you may have to turn one bar more or less than the other to make sure the truck is level when you're done. Once you crank them and let the truck down, bounce on the front end or go for a drive, then take a measurement of each side to make sure they are the same. If not, adjust as needed. If you keep it under two turns, you shouldn't have to worry about the alignment. Come spring, you'll want to get the alignment checked anyway as having 700+ lbs. hanging on the front of the truck can affect it. On my old truck, a 94 1500, it really threw the alignment off every year. On the HD, it doesn't seem to affect it as much.

On my 04, I bought a set of timbrens, but never installed them as the truck handles the plow so well without them I didn't see the need. I got them for a screaming deal on ebay, so I sold them and made a few bucks on the deal. In retrospect, I should have just installed them as they do make a huge difference on how the truck handles the plow and they don't really affect the ride much at all. I had to install a set of timbrens on the 94, and it was a night and day difference. The install on the newer HD trucks is pretty easy, should only take maybe 15 minutes/side, and you might be able to do it without removing the wheels.

Mark the T-bar bolt head and crossmember and turn each bolt a equal

amount of turns. In the summer turn them back down.

Those guys are correct about jacking up the front of the truck before

you turn the bolts as it makes them easier to turn...................

Remember turn clockwise to raise/counterclockwise to lower

So true these GMT-800 and 900s are lo-riders with the new plows and

will bottom out on anything!

For real help on anything snowplow check out: http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums

Avoid the clueless and children on plowsite!

Archived