Battery Life Expectancy

I have the original Delco battery in my truck. No problems so far, but now it is three years old and

batteries frequently die a sudden death here in Florida due to high heat and humidity. Should I get a new battery before this one fails? I hate to get stranded. Also, I had batteries go dead without warning in less than three years on other vehicles. This Delco battery is actually better than I expected.

I have the original Delco battery in my truck. No problems so far, but now it is three years old and

batteries frequently die a sudden death here in Florida due to high heat and humidity. Should I get a new battery before this one fails? I hate to get stranded. Also, I had batteries go dead without warning in less than three years on other vehicles. This Delco battery is actually better than I expected.

Yes get a new one

I've had great luck with AC Delco batteries here in the "Land of extremes" when it comes to weather.

I replaced the battery in my 2000 in fall of 2006 (7 years old), only because I thought I "should", it was still working fine, but I didn't want to attempt getting through a 7th winter with it.

The battery in my wife's 2004 Impala (now 4.5 years old) is original and works fine. I will replace it next fall though regardless.

I wouldn't worry about a working battery until it's 5 years old.

Edit: I should add that my vehicles are garaged year-round. Not heated, but insulated and attached.

I haven't kept a truck long enough for its battery to die, but I have an Optima red top laying around I've used on 3-4 different vehicles for the last 3 years, and it's still kicking despite being deeply discharged and even fell off the battery tray and hit a running fan...

Yeah, those suckers can take a beating (at least in my case)...Only reason I haven't put it in my truck is it's a little too beat up for my taste and I don't have the adapter pucks to bolt it down to the tray.

Looking at replacing my battery. My '07 has a AC-Delco 7641, and it say's it's replacement model is 48-6YR. Not only does Group 48 seem to be a under served group, it's a really tight place under the hood in the '07s for the battery. Anyone swap one? Does anything else need to be removed to get the old one out and the new one in?

Currently looking at:

Diehard Platinum

Optima Red Top or Yellow Top

Odyssey PC1500

Finding battery's in the group 48 size certainly is going to limit choice.

Archived