Camshaft Eating Distributor Gear

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kyphantom

kyphantom

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

I have a 1993 G.M.C. Yukon with a 5.7/ 350, i have just rebuilt the motor and made some upgrades, the upgrades that i have made are i bored the block .030 instaled a set of L98 heads a GM factory LT1 roller cam and a GM factory distributor gear that was susposed to work with the camshaft, the engine has less than 10,000 miles on it since the rebuild, i had to pull the distridutor to fix an oil leak and found that the distributor gear had been eaten by the camshaft. can anyone give me any ideas on how to stop this from happening again? none of the aftermarket companys make a bronze distributor gear for a small shaft GM Distributor. Thanks For Any Info

#2 chrisbmo2000

chrisbmo2000

Enthusiast

• 87 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:58 AM

I have a 1993 G.M.C. Yukon with a 5.7/ 350, i have just rebuilt the motor and made some upgrades, the upgrades that i have made are i bored the block .030 instaled a set of L98 heads a GM factory LT1 roller cam and a GM factory distributor gear that was susposed to work with the camshaft, the engine has less than 10,000 miles on it since the rebuild, i had to pull the distridutor to fix an oil leak and found that the distributor gear had been eaten by the camshaft. can anyone give me any ideas on how to stop this from happening again? none of the aftermarket companys make a bronze distributor gear for a small shaft GM Distributor. Thanks For Any Info

eaten how??? got any pics???? sounds like the gear was not the right one after all but pics will tell the story

Chris
Chris
1997 Chevrolet Suburban LT 2WD
5.7 L
4L60E Trans
207000 miles and counting
Power EVERYTHING
Descreened MAF

#3 66nova

66nova

Black Bear Tuned

• 2,428 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Did you go back with the factory intake? I have had aftermarket intakes that I had to shim or machine to make the distributor fit right. Sounds like the teeth are not meshing correctly. Even if you didn't change intakes you changed heads, fit could be a little different.

Because I don't know if the bronze gear is going to fix the problem by itself.

I would check distributor depth first, then if every thing looks good, I would look for an aftermarket distributor with a bronze gear.

Good luck, and lets see pics of that ride.

Robert3copy.jpg

rickordsanimalhospital.com

2007 Crew Cab Vmax GMT900 with a Blackbear Tune, Thorley Tri Y headers, Magnacharger TVS1900
1966 Nova 408 SBC 10.80s on the motor...9.40s on a 150 shot Exhaust Note Took Darkanion for a Ride With 150 NX Kit in and out of throttle Nova Build Thread

#4 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,174 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

Did you go back with the factory intake? I have had aftermarket intakes that I had to shim or machine to make the distributor fit right. Sounds like the teeth are not meshing correctly. Even if you didn't change intakes you changed heads, fit could be a little different.

Because I don't know if the bronze gear is going to fix the problem by itself.

I would check distributor depth first, then if every thing looks good, I would look for an aftermarket distributor with a bronze gear.

Good luck, and lets see pics of that ride.

+1

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#5 pennzoil29

pennzoil29

The life I live, the cards I play, the hand that I just dealt

• 5,893 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said. :lol:
Posted Image

#6 kyphantom

kyphantom

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

Still has the factory intake and distirbutor, distirbutor height is factory. the best way i can describe the the wear is the teeth on the distirbutor gear are tring to knife edge. tried to take pic of the gear but did not turn out well.

#7 66nova

66nova

Black Bear Tuned

• 2,428 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

Still has the factory intake and distirbutor, distirbutor height is factory. the best way i can describe the the wear is the teeth on the distirbutor gear are tring to knife edge. tried to take pic of the gear but did not turn out well.

Have you checked the cam gear to see if it messed up too?

Robert3copy.jpg

2007 Crew Cab Vmax GMT900 with a Blackbear Tune, Thorley Tri Y headers, Magnacharger TVS1900
1966 Nova 408 SBC 10.80s on the motor...9.40s on a 150 shot Exhaust Note Took Darkanion for a Ride With 150 NX Kit in and out of throttle Nova Build Thread

#8 kyphantom

kyphantom

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

Not yet, GM said the the cam was a billet with a cast iron distributor drive gear so the factory distributor gear would work, this cam is the one that comes stock in a 1996 Z-28 LT-1 Camaro,

#9 66nova

66nova

Black Bear Tuned

• 2,428 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

If I were you, I would start a post HERE

There is not a better engine site.

Robert3copy.jpg

#10 wheelsthatgrip

wheelsthatgrip

Enthusiast

• 45 posts
  • Name:Keith
  • Drives:2008 Silverado LT 4x4

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:01 AM

Could the oil pump input shaft be too long? This would cause the distributor to sit higher and also cause an oil leak as you have described. It would also lessen the gear tooth contact and subsequent wear. :lol:

Regards,

Keith

#11 Jo Nathan

Jo Nathan

Enthusiast

• 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

You probably need a cam button. I had the same problem with my '91 when I rebuilt it about 6 years ago. I converted it to a roller cam and the cam would "walk" forward on deceleration and grind on the distributor gear until it was razor sharp. Look into a cam button.
Posted Image

#12 66nova

66nova

Black Bear Tuned

• 2,428 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

You probably need a cam button. I had the same problem with my '91 when I rebuilt it about 6 years ago. I converted it to a roller cam and the cam would "walk" forward on deceleration and grind on the distributor gear until it was razor sharp. Look into a cam button.

Good thought.

Robert3copy.jpg

#13 kyphantom

kyphantom

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

The wear is from top to bottom on the teeth on the gear, and the block that i built was set up from the factory for a roller cam with a cam plate behind the timing gear and i went back with every thing from chevy. the cam, the cam retaining plate ,the roller lifters, and the lifter retaining plate. the oil leak was caused by a bad gasket.

Edited by kyphantom, 17 January 2009 - 06:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here