Silverado Alternator Charging Wire Upgrade

I have a 2004 Silverado and I just upgraded the alternator to a 210 amp high output for my sound system in the truck. I need to upgrade the charging cable that runs from the back of the alternator to the power block near the battery. Checked the local auto parts stores but no one has a large enough connector that will fit the size of the bolt at the power block.

Any ideas where I can get an upgraded charging cable, 4 gauge or so that will fit the Silverado?

I have a 2004 Silverado and I just upgraded the alternator to a 210 amp high output for my sound system in the truck. I need to upgrade the charging cable that runs from the back of the alternator to the power block near the battery. Checked the local auto parts stores but no one has a large enough connector that will fit the size of the bolt at the power block.

Any ideas where I can get an upgraded charging cable, 4 gauge or so that will fit the Silverado?

Are you talking about replacing the fusible link w/ 4ga wire? If so I would advise against it....

I left the small gauge wire that goes to the junction block (covered by red plastic), and ran a 4 gauge wire directly to the battery. Works great, no voltage drop anymore.

So what's the use in having the fusible link in place now? Might as well do away with it too and cross your fingers....

• 2 months later...

I know the the thread is older but here's some relevant info. NAPA carries a 4G copper lug that perfectly fits the bolt on the back of the alt and has enough room to drill out the lug for a bigger bolt Part#785906. I'm currently installing a 250amp alternator on my 2500HD with 4G wire and let me assure you guys that it's not a good idea to eliminate the fusible link whether it's a smaller gauge wire or an actual fuse.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't change the existing wire, just add another one. As if you are doing the big three, which if you have any sort of electrical issue with your amperage and battery with your sound system, is the first thing that should be done.

So don't change, the exisiting wiring, add too it. Be sure that you add a fuseable link with the new wiring as well. If something goes wrong you don't want to have a battery melt down.

The fuseable link should be no more than what the wire can handle.

I'm using 2 gauge so I grabbed a 200amp breaker.

I believe 1/0 can handle 250amps.

Not much info on the web about this.

This is a late reply to the original post but might help some of you out. After speaking with some pro-installers. If you can't find a 250 amp fusable link for 1/0 wire or any for the 2 and 4, here's something else to consider. I'm running 1/0 to my alternator, within 6 inches is an ANL 250 amp fuse & fuse holder. As everyone else has suggested, I've also kept the original power wire with fusible link in place. Nice, safe setup.

• 7 months later...

Archived