Question About Keys

for the key fobs, go on ebay. You can find any config. I found them for my 08 GMT900 on there.

For the key, read your owners manual to see if it mentions a "Pass Key" system. If it has Pass Key, it is chipped.

Otherwise, go to HomeD and have them copy the key for a couple bucks and try it. My 99 does not have a chip in it.

If it has a chip in the key, you can also find brand new blanks on ebay. I bought 2 of them. Take them to your local key cutter and have them cut to match your original. Then follow the easy programming

All GMT800's have NO chip in the key, you can see it on the key. GMT800 trucks have the chip in the tumbler and a reader in the housing. Any key correctly cut will start the vehicle as long as the column, PCM & BCM relay the correct values.

Just got a brand new factory remote and factory GMC key from these folks. Cheaper and faster than the dealer. Had the key cut at Ace today for $1. These folks have a couple different configurations for the remotes ; from just cleaned, buttons/case replaced or brand new factory pieces. I guess I'm OCD because I HAD to have the actual GM pieces and the eBay stores were cheap, but nearly everything I found was just recycled used remotes (read "Dirty", etc.) or brand X keys.

http://www.remotesandkeys.com/default.asp

All GMT800's have NO chip in the key, you can see it on the key. GMT800 trucks have the chip in the tumbler and a reader in the housing. Any key correctly cut will start the vehicle as long as the column, PCM & BCM relay the correct values.

:D

See this post.

Don

Archived