Question About Keys

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nick2000Gmc

Nick2000Gmc

Enthusiast

• 81 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

hey everyone I have a 2007 classic silverado ext cab and was wondering if the key has a chip in it and also will older key fobes work or do I need one from an 07
2000 GMC Sierra ext cab 5.3l 4x4 power everything

#2 mr_bots

mr_bots

Enjoying sound of a small block...masked by the whine of E-fans

• 737 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

I don't think they put chips in the truck keys till the 900s. If there's a chip, they key should have a "+" on it. I'd also guess that any fob since they updated the electrical system in 03 would work.

Posted Image
Truck: 2008 GMC Sierra SLE|5.3L Vortec V8 "LY5"|3.73 G80 Rear End|2WD
Mods: Tinted Windows|Nerf Bars|DIC|Remote Start|Removed Air Dam|Texas Pinstripes|Black Bear Tune
Future Mods: GMPP CAI|Line-X Bed Liner
Me: Cold Beer|"Chevrolet Racing" Ball Cap|T-Shirt

Not a member to any "look how unoriginal my truck color is" clubs

#3 spurshot

spurshot

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,349 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

for the key fobs, go on ebay. You can find any config. I found them for my 08 GMT900 on there.

For the key, read your owners manual to see if it mentions a "Pass Key" system. If it has Pass Key, it is chipped.

Otherwise, go to HomeD and have them copy the key for a couple bucks and try it. My 99 does not have a chip in it.

If it has a chip in the key, you can also find brand new blanks on ebay. I bought 2 of them. Take them to your local key cutter and have them cut to match your original. Then follow the easy programming

DSC_7821_zpsacf5baa7.jpg

2014 Sierra SLT All Terrain 5.3 Crew 6 1/2 ft bed, 305/60-18 Cooper ST Maxx, 1 1/2" level, 5000k Morimoto HID, 4 Baja Designs SII LED lights, AMP Power Steps, Bushwacker flares, Foglights w/High Beams mod, Wilwood 14.25" 6 piston front brakes, Snugtop Hi-Liner Sport. 

2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Crew 4x4 LTZ, NHT

#4 redvett

redvett

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,503 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

All GMT800's have NO chip in the key, you can see it on the key. GMT800 trucks have the chip in the tumbler and a reader in the housing. Any key correctly cut will start the vehicle as long as the column, PCM & BCM relay the correct values.

#5 Dirty Chris

Dirty Chris

Enthusiast

• 34 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:43 AM

Just got a brand new factory remote and factory GMC key from these folks. Cheaper and faster than the dealer. Had the key cut at Ace today for $1. These folks have a couple different configurations for the remotes ; from just cleaned, buttons/case replaced or brand new factory pieces. I guess I'm OCD because I HAD to have the actual GM pieces and the eBay stores were cheap, but nearly everything I found was just recycled used remotes (read "Dirty", etc.) or brand X keys.

http://www.remotesan...com/default.asp

Edited by Dirty Chris, 04 February 2009 - 06:45 AM.

2006 Yukon XL Denali

#6 sonjaab

sonjaab

• 2,158 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:48 AM

If you have a new GM vehicle and your key looks like this:
Posted Image

If it has a cross in the circle (like pictured above) in the shank under the plastic head.
You have a "transponder" key.

Go here for full info:
http://www.gm-trucks...showtopic=88293

Edited by sonjaab, 04 February 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#7 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

All GMT800's have NO chip in the key, you can see it on the key. GMT800 trucks have the chip in the tumbler and a reader in the housing. Any key correctly cut will start the vehicle as long as the column, PCM & BCM relay the correct values.

:D
See this post.

Don

Edited by dlstewart01, 04 February 2009 - 12:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users