4.3 V6 A Good Engine?

I am on my 4th one.

I had three 1999 models and now a 2006 model.

Two of the 1999's were driven by my workers. One was driven by me. One had 150,000 on it when I sold it. Never any issues with it. Still ran great. Used no oil.

Second one had 200,000 on it when I sold it. Never any issues with it. Still ran great. Used no oil.

Third one, driven by me, had 250,000 on it when I sold it. Never any issues with it. Still ran great. Used no oil. If it hadn't of caught on fire when my garage burned, I would probably still be driving it. It was that good.

About the only things I can think of that were ever done to it...in six years of driving it...one alternator and a couple of batteries. It still had the original plugs and wires on it. If it ain't broke ..don't fix it. :D

The current one, a 2006 has almost 55,000. Not a single problem with it yet. I am hoping it will be as good as the last one.

So, I would say "YES" as to the reliability of them.

great engine, not terrible on power........I have pulled off a little under 24 mpg on the expressway at about 56mph on cruise fairly flat in a silverado, and that was with about 400 lbs of patio pavers........pretty solid, change the oil, and dont run it at 4000 rpm constantly, the ones we have had at work have done 200k+ and use little to no oil

If you are talking about the 4.3 L V6 I would say stay away from it, I work in a GM dealership and every Truck/SUV that comes in with this engine has an issue with missing, This is caused by worn/wearing camshaft and distributer gears.

This is my experience with the 4.3L V6.

While the 4.3L V6 might not be the fastest, smoothest, or the most fuel efficient engine, it is a great workhorse, Being a 350 with 2 cylinders loped off, its reliable as dirt.

+1

The 4.3 will last forever if maintained. Great reliability and good torque, but only about 200 HP in best trim.

While the 4.3L V6 might not be the fastest, smoothest, or the most fuel efficient engine, it is a great workhorse, Being a 350 with 2 cylinders loped off, its reliable as dirt.

+1

The 4.3 will last forever if maintained. Great reliability and good torque, but only about 200 HP in best trim.

+2

The 4.3 is a damn good reliable engine,I had two of them ('91 TBI,and a '94 CPI)

They're definitely pretty tough...My buddy has a Sierra 2500LD (1991 model) with a 4.3L and he tows and hauls like he has a big block haha...Not good on gas but his truck's been to hell and back again...His original motor lasted over 240,000 miles before it finally send a connecting rod through the block and out the oil pan (was giving it hell at the time too, we decided to go out with a bang- Went to our local mudhole and just sank the mofo everywhere...lasted to just about the exit of the trails).

I definitely wouldn't mind a 4.3L if it was just my DD and occasionally hauling a 4 wheeler or furniture, but I do a lot of HEAVY towing and hauling and it's much easier with a V8.

Archived