Building An Audio Pipe For My Atv

Audio Pipe Paint  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright i am going to get the pipe tonight, and start the wiring and getting it cut to the right size and a good way to mount it.

i found a place on the Internet to get that same amp for $37 shipped, so i think i will order that as soon as i find speakers for it.

and recommendation on the speakers? at work i can get CHEAP speakers like from powerbass, panasonic and cheap brands but you said it had to have a 6 3/4" opening.

Thanks for the write up too i will def be using this along the way.

i found a pair of JVC Speakers at work for $26 for the pair and are not paper so should hold up for a little while at least and are cheap enough to replace about 10x lol....

i am thinking about maybe seeing what kind of fittings are there as well, cause i think i am really only going to be using this at bon fires at my house, or to show off, or sometimes we go camping on the 4 wheelers and if it lasts 4 hours that would be awesome its just nice to have music in the background.. i dont plan on actually riding around listening to this since thats why i bought a exhaust for it and its quite a bit louder than the stock exhaust so i doubt id even hear it..

also do you have your ipod hooked up to that then? i have that same cable rca to 3.5mm in my truck for my ipod.. just wondering.

i am thinking about maybe seeing what kind of fittings are there as well, cause i think i am really only going to be using this at bon fires at my house, or to show off, or sometimes we go camping on the 4 wheelers and if it lasts 4 hours that would be awesome its just nice to have music in the background.. i dont plan on actually riding around listening to this since thats why i bought a exhaust for it and its quite a bit louder than the stock exhaust so i doubt id even hear it..
Yeah, I've left mine on for at least four hours straight before and it didn't drain the battery at all.

My friend just finished building a pipe for his a Suzuki 550?? with an FMF exhaust and he tells me it's loud enough to hear over the exhaust.

also do you have your ipod hooked up to that then? i have that same cable rca to 3.5mm in my truck for my ipod.. just wondering.
Not an iPod, just an old Creative Zen Nano+ that I need to replace. Same cable though.

• 8 months later...

Yo this thing is so bad ass! I want to build one, but I don't have a four wheeler or anything to put it on... :D

There has to be a mechanical/plumbing supply store near you that professional contractors use. 6" PVC is a pretty common thing in nonresidential construction.

I am in the process of building one for myself. I would call around to local plumbing supply houses for the elbows - I got my 6" Schedule 40 PVC 90 degree elbows at a local plumbing supply for $17.50 each. ACE hardware only carried the SCHEDULE 35 pipe and elbows and the SCHEDULE 35 is much thinner. I bought 12 foot of 6" Schedule 40 pipe off of Craigslist for cheap. Anybody need any, I would be willing to cut and ship for a reasonable cost.

I have ordered the same Pyramid PB440X Amp, Pyle speakers and a Jensen Jport (http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/32289.html ) for the MP3 connection. Instead of cigarette lighter, I am going to use the battery tender pigtail for power. I have a spare pigtail that will plug into the existing one.

I am waiting on the electronics to arrive mid-week, so in the meantime, I have cut and fitted the PVC and painted it with a base coat of KRYLON FUSION black (the plastic paint) to act as a primer and then topcoated with the Duplicolor Spray in Bedliner from Wally World.

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

Instead of the el cheapo speakers, save up and get marine speakers right away instead of having to replace the el cheapo speakers every few months if you do a lot of mudding on the atv.

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of the el cheapo speakers, save up and get marine speakers right away instead of having to replace the el cheapo speakers every few months if you do a lot of mudding on the atv.
It's been almost a year since I built my pipe and my cheap Pioneer TS-G's have held up fine to everything, including being directly hosed down with a garden hose.

• 4 months later...

Greetings Guyz,

some Killer directions for the Audio Pipe, I was going to buy one, but after reading this thread I'm going to just build myself one! :rollin:

Glide-FNG

PS: is their any Freemason's on the board?

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, been a long time since I updated this thread. About a year ago, I had to rebuild my audio pipe because the cheapo Pyramid amp crapped out (surprise, surprise). The best alternative amp I've been able to find so far that fits in 6" pipe is the Sure 2x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board from Parts Express. It's considerably louder than the Pyramid, and so far has been reliable. Since it's not enclosed, you have to be a little careful when it comes to mounting it. I made a wooden platform using scrap plywood and a small 2x4, then screwed the board down to the plywood. I used several rubber grommets on the screws as spacers to keep it off the plywood and hopefully somewhat dampen any shock or bumps the amp might receive.

Here's a few things I've learned since building the first pipe:

- The Pyramid amp is junk. My buddy received two defective ones before getting a good one for his pipe, and within six months, the third one died. Mine lasted for over a year-and-a-half before the left channel went.

- SDR-35 pipe will work. Yes it is thinner, but it works fine, is easier to find, and is cheaper. Plus it also fits 6-1/2" speakers better because the outside diameter is slightly smaller than schedule 40.

- Don't glue both sides, glue one side and use a set screw to hold the other.

- Non-marine speakers will handle a little water, but not a lot.

- Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner works great, it will not flake off if you prep before you paint. It does create a lot of overspray though.

Archived