Installing a brake controller in 99 Silverado -

Hi

I'm new here and look forward to visiting often.

I'm going to be putting a electric brake controller in my 99 Silverado. It has the trailer towing package so I have the harness, but I don't have any specific instructions for installation. Anybody have any?

Help is greatly appreciated... You can email me at [email protected]

Thanks

Arnie

You should have the plug that plugs in the center under the dash on the drivers side! The wires out of that plug connect to your brake controller! I didnt have a sheet either, but using the instructions from my controller I could figure out how they connect! Most of them might have been the same colors!! My truck didnt come with the HD towing package, so I got it free from my dealer when I bought it, but had to do all the work myself, maybe that work payed off in understanding how to wire the controller up! If you want I can go out and check to see if I can tell what wires connect to the controller wire!

The brake controller is on its way. I ordered it two days ago.

The question that I'm having is my truck came with the HD towing package so they also gave me a wiring harness for a brake controller (if I happen to get one).

The electrical harness that came with the truck has a connection that goes into the fuse box and also has a fuse for it.

I'm looking for the instructions on where it goes in the fuse box. I don't want to mess anything up (ie... I had to take my truck into the dealer because I had to have my computer programmed when I installed factory fog lamps myself....go figure!)

So I'm looking for instructions on the wiring harness from GM for adding the controller.

Sorry for any confusion.

Arnie from Green Bay....GO PACK GO!!!

I believe if you look on the cover that goes over that area it should have a diagram of what all the plugs are for.  If memory serves me the plug can only be plugged into on of them(top left, I think). :cool:  Oh and the fuse goes in the electrical center under the hood. I'm not sure which one it plugs into though.

The wire colors matched up exactly when I installed the brake controller on my truck. The big 40 amp fuse goes under the hood, and provides power to the always on 12 volt feed in the trailer connector plug.

Todd

On the harness (between the controller and your fuse box) the wires are as follows.

Dk blue-->Trailer Brake Controller Switched Output

Red     --> Fused Trailer Brake Controller Battery feed (power)

Lt Blue --> Vehicle Stop Lamp Switch to Brake Controller input

Black   --> Brake controller ground

Brown  --> Bralke Controller Illumination

For vehicles without the factory auxillary battery option, plug the 40 amp fuse in the stud #1 location of the under hood electical center.

For vehicles with the factory auxillary battery option, the 40 amp fuse is not needed.  Do not use it.

Archived