Mud Guards & Rear Wheel Well Liners

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Punmax

Punmax

Punmax

• 2,277 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

Dirt can get trapped behind the rear wheel well liners, so it's a no for me. And I think the mudflaps ruin the look of the truck, so no again. :lol:
Posted Image
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS RWD 3.6L

2007 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.2L Vortec
24" Dub Dirty Dogs (summer wheels) | 22" Boss 313 (winter wheels) | OEM Headrest DVD Screens | GMPP Cold Air Intake
2007 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 4x4 6.0L VortecMax - SOLD
Magnaflow Dual Exhaust | 8000k HID's (lows/fogs) | Debadged Tailgate | Jason Tonneau Cover | 20% Tint | WeatherTech Floorliner

#17 bubba33

bubba33

Enthusiast

• 617 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

Dirt can get trapped behind the rear wheel well liners, so it's a no for me. And I think the mudflaps ruin the look of the truck, so no again. :lol:

Anyone who's added the GM front/rear molded mud guards, what's your opinion? Do they help with gravels and the like? They stick out far enough so that they should help, but actual experience with 'em is appreciated.

Also, anyone have the rear wheel-well liners?
No one asked you because you don't have them j/k :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#18 Bmart

Bmart

Enthusiast

• 275 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

i had the factory gmc molded mud guards on the truck when i bought it. after i took the truck home and looked a little more at them i noticed i could see some paint chipping off underneath. sooo i took them off, and see that i have a LOT of paint missing where the back flaps had touched the paint. the front ones left a mark outlining where they touched the truck, no paint peeling, but missing paint none the less... never again will i have mud flaps on anything.

another annoyance was how snow and ice would build up in them..
Brian
Ontario, Canada
Posted Image
2001 | GMC | Sierra | 4.3l V6

#19 BuckFeverZ

BuckFeverZ

My Truck's Made With Wrenches Not Chopsticks

• 4,162 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

No experience with the liners, but I say +1 on the splash guards.

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

6.0 / Flowmaster Super 44 / 33" Goodyear Duratrac's

#20 MarkPMB

MarkPMB

Enthusiast

• 183 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Very happy with the liners, but don't have the flaps.
I put my liners on without taking off the 22" wheels.
I did have to jack up the frame for maximum clearance though.

#21 Outbacker

Outbacker

Enthusiast

• 626 posts
  • Drives:2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

I installed Husky molded mud flaps on the rear wells on my truck, and so far I like them. I am going to get the front ones as well someday, but I wanted to see how I liked these ones. Easy to install, the only thing I did different for the install was I sprayed some tremclad where I drilled the holes to help prevent rust in the future. But they do cut down the crap that the rear tires will throw up, and it is especially important when towing a trailer.
Bob
Victoria, BC
Canada

2008 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab, 5.3 L Iron block, 3.73 rear ratio, Katzkin leather interior, Putco vent visors, Westin step bars, Prodigy brake controller
Posted Image

#22 music

music

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,518 posts
  • Name:Robert
  • Drives:08 Sierra 4wd Crew

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

i had the factory gmc molded mud guards on the truck when i bought it. after i took the truck home and looked a little more at them i noticed i could see some paint chipping off underneath. sooo i took them off, and see that i have a LOT of paint missing where the back flaps had touched the paint. the front ones left a mark outlining where they touched the truck, no paint peeling, but missing paint none the less... never again will i have mud flaps on anything.

Isn't there a 3M tape that's recommended to go between the guard and the paint, to prevent chipping?

DSC03060.JPG

2008 GMC Sierra CC Z71 4wd

#23 trav_automotive

trav_automotive

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,626 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:51 AM

I am thinking of adding the wheel well liners. Can this be done as a "DIY" job without removing the rear wheels during installation?

I already have Weather Tech mud flaps.

Thanks
Kenny

It probably can be done with the wheels on.But I think its easier just taking them off. You have to drill some holes and you just don't have any room to get a regular drill in there for the mud flaps on the rear.

Thanks Bubba33

That's what I thought - looks like a trip to AutoZone for some jack stands. My dealer wants $30 to install.

Kenny

You can install them with the wheels on....its very simple to do...just have to angle them in there just right....I also didn't drill into the truck and add all the hardware they gave me...I popped the liners in there, and only put the 3 Push Pin Retainers in and that is all that I did....they have been in there for over a year and I have had no issues!

15' Sierra Denali HD Duramax

#24 bubba33

bubba33

Enthusiast

• 617 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

I am thinking of adding the wheel well liners. Can this be done as a "DIY" job without removing the rear wheels during installation?

I already have Weather Tech mud flaps.

Thanks
Kenny

It probably can be done with the wheels on.But I think its easier just taking them off. You have to drill some holes and you just don't have any room to get a regular drill in there for the mud flaps on the rear.

Thanks Bubba33

That's what I thought - looks like a trip to AutoZone for some jack stands. My dealer wants $30 to install.

Kenny

You can install them with the wheels on....its very simple to do...just have to angle them in there just right....I also didn't drill into the truck and add all the hardware they gave me...I popped the liners in there, and only put the 3 Push Pin Retainers in and that is all that I did....they have been in there for over a year and I have had no issues!

How did you attach the mud flaps?

#25 slomo007

slomo007

Enthusiast

• 872 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

I wouldn't have mud guards unless I lived on a gravel road and actually needed them for protection. Even then I would consider 3m adhesive along with the rocker panel instead of mudguards.

If I lived up north or did not have a black truck I wouldn't waste the money on the fender liners....just spray them with rubberized undercoating and save yourself some money.
2007 Silverado LT1 Z71~Blackbear Tuned~RC Leveling Kit~3M Protective Film on Hood and Bumper Corners~Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau~Raptor Step Bars~Mamba M3 Wheels~265/70/18 Revos~PIAA H11 Headlights~GMPP Performance Exhaust~Painted Front Bowtie~Removed Rear Bowtie~LED Interior Lights~GM Stainless Door Sill Covers~CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

#26 Bmart

Bmart

Enthusiast

• 275 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:19 AM

Isn't there a 3M tape that's recommended to go between the guard and the paint, to prevent chipping?

i didn't install them.. if the tape is recomended, it was absent on my truck.
Brian
Ontario, Canada
Posted Image
2001 | GMC | Sierra | 4.3l V6

#27 jake1530

jake1530

Enthusiast

• 233 posts
  • Name:Jim Leahy
  • Drives:2005 GMC Sierra

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for bringing up the discussion; I put the factory (splash guards) on my 2005. I say splash guards because I guy I work with has a 2500, and put Mud flaps on his truck. He likes to remind me I have splash guards not real mud flaps all the time. Having said all that, I do like them a lot, functionality good, LOOKS I like a lot more. I have a question. Have any of you guys heard of putting a clear tape on the paint before you install the guards? Supposed to keep the paint from chipping where the guard touches the pain. Thanks in advance, Jake.
When the wolf arrives at your door..... Pull him in and eat him!

#28 JNP07CC

JNP07CC

Enthusiast

• 646 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

+1 on the GM molded Mud Flaps - for me - it keeps the rockers clean of spray up etc ..
2007 GMT900 1500 CrewCab - Z71 - 5.3 Alum with AFM
Rancho Lift w/1" ReadyLift Spacer, FilterMag, Tool box, Nerf Bar, Warn Transformer - Hitch & Brush Guard,
GYear LT285-MTR's , H&R 40mm Spacers (rear), SE Custom DiamondBack Cover

Dims :
44" wheel Well
22" Floor to Rocker Pan
el

#29 music

music

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,518 posts
  • Name:Robert
  • Drives:08 Sierra 4wd Crew

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:13 PM

I just did the following Google search on the site and had a few hits, including one with a good picture. Should have thought of that before. The "search" feature on the site doesn't seem to work very well, but Google does the trick. I see mention of 3M tape a lot, but not sure about the specific part#.

Google search: http://www.google.co...amp;safe=images

Post 81551: http://www.gm-trucks...showtopic=81551

DSC03060.JPG

2008 GMC Sierra CC Z71 4wd

#30 JDHARMZY

JDHARMZY

Enthusiast

• 95 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

I have both that GM molded mud guards and the GM wheel well liners. I have to say that I have no complaints with either kit. I have to contend with salt and a lot of rock roads so both were a necessity.

I went with the liners rather than the rubberized undercoating because the liners actually cover the frame and the gaps between the frame and the bed. The plastic wheel well liners are also MUCH easier to clean than the other solutions IMO. Another good way to keep rocks off the rockers is to get a set of side steps. That has saved me tons of time with touch up paint.
'08 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Z71 5.3L FF w/ AFM - SOLD
'11 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab - 5.3L FF w/ AFM - 2" BL, 2" Leveling Kit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users