Mud Guards & Rear Wheel Well Liners

music

Anyone who's added the GM front/rear molded mud guards, what's your opinion? Do they help with gravels and the like? They stick out far enough so that they should help, but actual experience with 'em is appreciated.

Also, anyone have the rear wheel-well liners?

I added rear wheel well liners along with the GMC logo molded mudguards. The liners really finish off the look of the truck IMO. The GMT900 looks unfinished without them with the metal inner wheel well showing. Not to mention it keeps the paint in there from getting torn up and rusting. They were my first mod. I also really like the looks and fitment of the GM molded mud guards. They protect the side and rear very well from mud, rocks etc.. I drive alot of dirt, gravel roads in the summer going to camp every weekend and I have not one mark or nick on the side or rear panels of the truck. I also like how the rears have the embedded red GMC logo. Matches my truck nicely.

I can get you some pics tomorrow.

I added rear wheel well liners along with the GMC logo molded mudguards. The liners really finish off the look of the truck IMO. The GMT900 looks unfinished without them with the metal inner wheel well showing. Not to mention it keeps the paint in there from getting torn up and rusting. They were my first mod. I also really like the looks and fitment of the GM molded mud guards. They protect the side and rear very well from mud, rocks etc.. I drive alot of dirt, gravel roads in the summer going to camp every weekend and I have not one mark or nick on the side or rear panels of the truck. I also like how the rears have the embedded red GMC logo. Matches my truck nicely.

I can get you some pics tomorrow.

Thanks Ryan, pictures would be appreciated if you have a chance. I've already had a few gravel parties, and have been lucky with only minor paint nicks. I'd rather put a stop to it and these looked like very worthwhile additions.

My '08 has strobe hideaways in the back up lights and I blew them within 1/2 hour plowing the first storm. Turns out the lack of wheel well liners in the new models allow any road debris to be thrown directly against the tail light assembly, which is where the wires and connectors are located. DUH! I have wheel well liners and mud flaps now, after that experience.

Turns out the lack of wheel well liners in the new models allow any road debris to be thrown directly against the tail light assembly...

Never thought of that! FWIW, other trucks seem to be the about same (stock open wheel well). I'm convinced of the need.

I am thinking of adding the wheel well liners. Can this be done as a "DIY" job without removing the rear wheels during installation?

I already have Weather Tech mud flaps.

Thanks

Kenny

It probably can be done with the wheels on.But I think its easier just taking them off. You have to drill some holes and you just don't have any room to get a regular drill in there for the mud flaps on the rear.

i have both, glad i did it. my 2001 started rusting from inside the rear fenders, and didn't have liners. also, one of the mud guards fell off of the rear on that truck, and that side got pretty chipped up. since i bought my new truck in the fall before the snow and salt, the first item i bought was the mud guards, followed by a 12,000lb hitch and Prodigy brake controller, and before the first snow i had the fender liners put in.

i think it's worth it, and would do it again.

I have the splash guards in front and back and I like them a lot. I only wish that I would have gotten them sooner. I am going to do the 3M rubberized spray inside the rear wheels wells come spring. I think that it will give a better protection than just the GM liners. That way nothing can get underneath the liners and start rusting without me noticing.

I am thinking of adding the wheel well liners. Can this be done as a "DIY" job without removing the rear wheels during installation?

I already have Weather Tech mud flaps.

Thanks

Kenny

It probably can be done with the wheels on.But I think its easier just taking them off. You have to drill some holes and you just don't have any room to get a regular drill in there for the mud flaps on the rear.

Thanks Bubba33

That's what I thought - looks like a trip to AutoZone for some jack stands. My dealer wants $30 to install.

Kenny

Archived