2000 Silverado Power Lock Actuators

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 4wd 5.3L. My power locks on the passanger side stopped working and wouldnt even allow the manual locks to work. I took everything apart and found that the actuator was bad. The problem I have now is that noone seems to have a direct replacement. I found numerous sites that carry what they claim is a direct replacement but none of them come with the 2 sensors on it that mine has. I was able to remove both of the sensors from the old actuator and attach one to the new unit with super glue and that works fine but the other sensor has 2 small prongs that go into the face of the unit. It was held on the old unit by melted plastic of some kind. I think the sensor is for the theft deterrant feature (since it no longer works with the new part installed). Trying to attach a sample pic of new part and old part.

post-59931-1234733730_thumb.jpg

post-59931-1234734695_thumb.jpg

Well I finally found the part #. I had to buy the whole lock assembaly. This is considered the first design with illumination (to turn on lights when you lift the exterior handle). asdelco part # 16637320.

Im getting ready to have to do the same thing. How did you get the actuator out of the door to replace it?

Well I finally found the part #. I had to buy the whole lock assembaly. This is considered the first design with illumination (to turn on lights when you lift the exterior handle). asdelco part # 16637320.

Im getting ready to have to do the same thing. How did you get the actuator out of the door to replace it?

I already have the new part, but can't figure out how to remove/replace it. Do you have to remove the entire mechanism by removing the three screws on the door jam? Any help appreciated.

I already have the new part, but can't figure out how to remove/replace it. Do you have to remove the entire mechanism by removing the three screws on the door jam? Any help appreciated.

Im still thinking also but Im having to wait on the weather to warm up.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasnt too bad but i suggest wearing some mechaics gloves to do it since space is a bit snug.

1. Remove door panel by removing switch panel and removing screws (2-4 depending on year and model)

2. Disconnect and remove door handle (may be able to skip this step but i found it easier to remove)

3. Peel back plastic from door.

4. Disconnect the 3 linkage rods. (Trickiest one is the one from the external key cylinder since it fits into a threaded connector at the bottom.

5. Remove the 3 screws on door jamb. (May be easier to loosen these a bit to help get linkage rods off (depends on how large your hands are and how much room you have).

6. Reverse steps to install new parts.

If you have trouble finding the right part the difference is apparently whether or not it has the sensors for the illuminated entry. The pictures of the new part I posted are of one without the sensor. If you need with the sensor you have to replace the whole assembaly (probably easier to do that anyway but more expensive.)

Dealers ita wanted $238 at one or $188 at the other. I ordered it online at acdirect.com for $95 for the ACDelco part.

• 2 weeks later...
It wasnt too bad but i suggest wearing some mechaics gloves to do it since space is a bit snug.

1. Remove door panel by removing switch panel and removing screws (2-4 depending on year and model)

2. Disconnect and remove door handle (may be able to skip this step but i found it easier to remove)

3. Peel back plastic from door.

4. Disconnect the 3 linkage rods. (Trickiest one is the one from the external key cylinder since it fits into a threaded connector at the bottom.

5. Remove the 3 screws on door jamb. (May be easier to loosen these a bit to help get linkage rods off (depends on how large your hands are and how much room you have).

6. Reverse steps to install new parts.

If you have trouble finding the right part the difference is apparently whether or not it has the sensors for the illuminated entry. The pictures of the new part I posted are of one without the sensor. If you need with the sensor you have to replace the whole assembaly (probably easier to do that anyway but more expensive.)

Dealers ita wanted $238 at one or $188 at the other. I ordered it online at acdirect.com for $95 for the ACDelco part.

Thanks for the update, Jeff! I will try to do mine as it gets a little warmer. Is it difficult to remove the three torx screws from the jamb? I can't figure out what holds the actuator fixed to the latch. Could you explain that? Thanks again.........

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have the same problem with my '01 Sierra. I can't lock the passenger side door at all... power or manual. Are you saying the power actuator was the problem that stopped the door from locking manually?

I have the door panel off but I'm having a hard time seeing how that entire mechanism comes out of there. I'll keep trying to get the linkage off but I don't want to break something and make it worse.

• 2 years later...

I am getting ready to do the same thing. It really stumped the parts guys at the local dealership. From reading this, I see that this part can be purchased online, but I that website must have changed.

The dealership here wants over $200 per door for the actuator and the lock part. Where can I get these cheaper than these dealer? I am going to do both doors.

Archived