Cleaning Mass Airflow Sensor

Hey guys,

Last night I decided I would attempt to clean my mass airflow sensor on my truck. Everything went fairly well with the clean but I had to figure it out by myself. I will share with you what I did because I couldnt find a very useful topic on here.

1) disconnect battery

2) remove intake tubes/airbox

3) cleaned MAF

4) replaced tubes and airbox

5) re-connected the battery

I used q-tips to gently clean the small wires on the MAFS and the screen. I used Walters Parts Cleaner that claims to have no residue which is good for accurate readings. I actually cleaned quite a bit of dirt off of it. The small wires were even dirty and I noticed dirt come off them. It seemed to be fine re-installed. I made sure everything sounded normal and the idle was consistent. I then took it out and noticed a slight increase in throttle response and overall pick-up. Hope some of this information will help somebody clean theirs.

* This is based on my personal experience/vehicle other applications may change and be different.

Cheers,

BlackOut V8

I am glad this worked well for you but I would stongly suggest you not use parts cleaner on your MAF Sensor again. Being in the Auto Parts Industry we see a good many MAF's destroyed due to parts cleaner, brake cleaner, starting fluid etc being used.

CRC makes a product specifically designed for this. The part # is 05110 and it is not expensive.

They recommend removing the MAF, spray it sparingly and allow it to dry completely. I would go so far as to say you really should not touch the wires with anything. Simply let the cleaner remove the dirt and grime if there is any there.

There are several brands of Air Intake Cleaners out there. My favorite is one offered by 3M. I have also used Seafoam's Deep Creep and it does a good job.

I have never removed mine to clean it. I simply remove the intake hose and use the cleaner and some good clean rags to wipe it out. Our Seafoam rep uses a cheap electric toothbrush with Deep Creep to clean his. He said it allows him to reach a little further into the bore.

You will be surprised at the black goo that you will get out there if it has been awhile since it was cleaned.

Archived