8.1 Liter Pcm Tuning

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 toored

toored

Enthusiast

• 43 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

Anyone have an 8.1 liter GM truck with a custom PCM tune? I am interested in one but would like to hear of testimonials of others as to power/fuel mileage gains and who has the best tune.

Thanks for any info!!
[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc289/toored2/021611_173022.jpg[/img]

"A known thief and murderer. A man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition." William Muney - Unforgiven

#2 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,765 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

There are many threads covering this subject. I love my tune on my 5.3l. Driveability is so much better. Mileage is about the same, no worse though.

Here are 2 search links:

http://www.gm-trucks...hlite=blackbear

http://www.gm-trucks...lite=black bear

edit: fixed links

Edited by txab, 23 February 2009 - 12:59 PM.

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#3 toored

toored

Enthusiast

• 43 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the reply txab. I tried the links in your message but I keep getting an error message saying that no item exists.

I understand that there have been many threads covering this subject, and I have read many of them; however, I have not read any that cover the 8.1 liter engine (mostly 5.3s and 6.0s). I actually posted a thread myself several months seeking this info but received no helpful replies specifically concerning the 8.1L.

From what I've gathered, some manufacturers tend to exaggerate claims for their program tunes/PCMs. And others have driveability issues (crank re-learn, etc). I would like to avoid these issues if possible.

I would like to hear from folks who have an 8.1 engine with a custom PCM tune. I don't care as much about horsepower gains as much as I do gas mileage.

Thanks again for any help!!

"A known thief and murderer. A man of notoriously vicious and intemperate disposition." William Muney - Unforgiven

#4 66nova

66nova

Black Bear Tuned

• 2,461 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

I can't answer anything specific about the 8.1 because I have the 6.0. But I would highly recommend emailing Justin. He is a straight shooter and he will tell you what he can and more importantly what he can't do. This is the reason he has became so popular on this board and many others. He does a great tune, but is it any better than Nelson, Wester's, etc...??? I don't know. What I do know is Justin has shot straight with me with everything he said the tune would/wouldn't be able to accomplish and it has. His customer service is second to none, thanks to him and his wife.

I have picked up around 1mph gallon (.5 to 1.5) WHEN I drive like I should. The tune is soooo much fun that I have a hard time doing that.

I am very interested in what he can do with your 8.1 also. I have heard that they are very inhibited from the factory, but I haven't driven one so I don't truly know.

Edited by 66nova, 23 February 2009 - 09:50 AM.

Robert3copy.jpg

rickordsanimalhospital.com

2007 Crew Cab Vmax GMT900 with a Blackbear Tune, Thorley Tri Y headers, Magnacharger TVS1900
1966 Nova 408 SBC 10.80s on the motor...9.40s on a 150 shot Exhaust Note Took Darkanion for a Ride With 150 NX Kit in and out of throttle Nova Build Thread

#5 Draenor

Draenor

I'm offsetting your carbon credits!!!!!

• 3,605 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

I don't care as much about horsepower gains as much as I do gas mileage.

If anything, the most you would get is 1MPG better. Dont expect much out of the 8.1, its not made for fuel savings.

2004 GMC 2500 Sierra Metallic Gray CC/SWB

#6 slomo007

slomo007

Enthusiast

• 872 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

Dont expect much out of the 8.1, its not made for fuel savings.

+ 1
2007 Silverado LT1 Z71~Blackbear Tuned~RC Leveling Kit~3M Protective Film on Hood and Bumper Corners~Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau~Raptor Step Bars~Mamba M3 Wheels~265/70/18 Revos~PIAA H11 Headlights~GMPP Performance Exhaust~Painted Front Bowtie~Removed Rear Bowtie~LED Interior Lights~GM Stainless Door Sill Covers~CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

#7 toored

toored

Enthusiast

• 43 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:46 AM

I can't answer anything specific about the 8.1 because I have the 6.0. But I would highly recommend emailing Justin. He is a straight shooter and he will tell you what he can and more importantly what he can't do. This is the reason he has became so popular on this board and many others. He does a great tune, but is it any better than Nelson, Wester's, etc...??? I don't know. What I do know is Justin has shot straight with me with everything he said the tune would/wouldn't be able to accomplish and it has. His customer service is second to none, thanks to him and his wife.

I have picked up around 1mph gallon (.5 to 1.5) WHEN I drive like I should. The tune is soooo much fun that I have a hard time doing that.

I am very interested in what he can do with your 8.1 also. I have heard that they are very inhibited from the factory, but I haven't driven one so I don't truly know.

Thanks for the reply Robert. Who's Justin?

#8 Tex-Mex

Tex-Mex

El Vato mas Loco

• 2,092 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the reply Robert. Who's Justin?

Justin in from Blackbear Tuning. From what I've heard, he is one of the best for tuning. He is also one of the supporting vendors on this site.
Posted Image
2006 Sierra 5.3L
Current mods-accessories:Flowmaster 40-series SI-DO/K&N drop-in filter/Rhino Liner/35%Tint

Planned mods-accessories:True duals/Air-Raid MIT Intake Tube/'Vette Servo/Blackbear Tune/Lowering Kit/Bed Cover of some sort/Antenna Delete
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nobody can make you feel nferior without your permission--Eleanor Roosevelt

#9 66nova

66nova

Black Bear Tuned

• 2,461 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:19 AM

www.blackbearperformance.com

[email protected]

Robert3copy.jpg

rickordsanimalhospital.com

2007 Crew Cab Vmax GMT900 with a Blackbear Tune, Thorley Tri Y headers, Magnacharger TVS1900
1966 Nova 408 SBC 10.80s on the motor...9.40s on a 150 shot Exhaust Note Took Darkanion for a Ride With 150 NX Kit in and out of throttle Nova Build Thread

#10 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,765 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the reply txab. I tried the links in your message but I keep getting an error message saying that no item exists.

I understand that there have been many threads covering this subject, and I have read many of them; however, I have not read any that cover the 8.1 liter engine (mostly 5.3s and 6.0s). I actually posted a thread myself several months seeking this info but received no helpful replies specifically concerning the 8.1L.

From what I've gathered, some manufacturers tend to exaggerate claims for their program tunes/PCMs. And others have driveability issues (crank re-learn, etc). I would like to avoid these issues if possible.

I would like to hear from folks who have an 8.1 engine with a custom PCM tune. I don't care as much about horsepower gains as much as I do gas mileage.

Thanks again for any help!!

Fixed links

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users