8.1 Liter Pcm Tuning

toored

Anyone have an 8.1 liter GM truck with a custom PCM tune? I am interested in one but would like to hear of testimonials of others as to power/fuel mileage gains and who has the best tune.

Thanks for any info!!

There are many threads covering this subject. I love my tune on my 5.3l. Driveability is so much better. Mileage is about the same, no worse though.

Here are 2 search links:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...hlite=blackbear

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...lite=black+bear

edit: fixed links

Thanks for the reply txab. I tried the links in your message but I keep getting an error message saying that no item exists.

I understand that there have been many threads covering this subject, and I have read many of them; however, I have not read any that cover the 8.1 liter engine (mostly 5.3s and 6.0s). I actually posted a thread myself several months seeking this info but received no helpful replies specifically concerning the 8.1L.

From what I've gathered, some manufacturers tend to exaggerate claims for their program tunes/PCMs. And others have driveability issues (crank re-learn, etc). I would like to avoid these issues if possible.

I would like to hear from folks who have an 8.1 engine with a custom PCM tune. I don't care as much about horsepower gains as much as I do gas mileage.

Thanks again for any help!!

I can't answer anything specific about the 8.1 because I have the 6.0. But I would highly recommend emailing Justin. He is a straight shooter and he will tell you what he can and more importantly what he can't do. This is the reason he has became so popular on this board and many others. He does a great tune, but is it any better than Nelson, Wester's, etc...??? I don't know. What I do know is Justin has shot straight with me with everything he said the tune would/wouldn't be able to accomplish and it has. His customer service is second to none, thanks to him and his wife.

I have picked up around 1mph gallon (.5 to 1.5) WHEN I drive like I should. The tune is soooo much fun that I have a hard time doing that.

I am very interested in what he can do with your 8.1 also. I have heard that they are very inhibited from the factory, but I haven't driven one so I don't truly know.

I can't answer anything specific about the 8.1 because I have the 6.0. But I would highly recommend emailing Justin. He is a straight shooter and he will tell you what he can and more importantly what he can't do. This is the reason he has became so popular on this board and many others. He does a great tune, but is it any better than Nelson, Wester's, etc...??? I don't know. What I do know is Justin has shot straight with me with everything he said the tune would/wouldn't be able to accomplish and it has. His customer service is second to none, thanks to him and his wife.

I have picked up around 1mph gallon (.5 to 1.5) WHEN I drive like I should. The tune is soooo much fun that I have a hard time doing that.

I am very interested in what he can do with your 8.1 also. I have heard that they are very inhibited from the factory, but I haven't driven one so I don't truly know.

Thanks for the reply Robert. Who's Justin?

Thanks for the reply Robert. Who's Justin?

Justin in from Blackbear Tuning. From what I've heard, he is one of the best for tuning. He is also one of the supporting vendors on this site.

Thanks for the reply txab. I tried the links in your message but I keep getting an error message saying that no item exists.

I understand that there have been many threads covering this subject, and I have read many of them; however, I have not read any that cover the 8.1 liter engine (mostly 5.3s and 6.0s). I actually posted a thread myself several months seeking this info but received no helpful replies specifically concerning the 8.1L.

From what I've gathered, some manufacturers tend to exaggerate claims for their program tunes/PCMs. And others have driveability issues (crank re-learn, etc). I would like to avoid these issues if possible.

I would like to hear from folks who have an 8.1 engine with a custom PCM tune. I don't care as much about horsepower gains as much as I do gas mileage.

Thanks again for any help!!

Fixed links

Archived