1995 Keyless Entry Programming

1stgen7

Question

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and drive a 1995 GMC Suburban. A couple years ago I lost my keyless entry remote so I recently purchased a new on from ebay thinking it would be easy to program it to the truck. Well it got here and I went to program it using the directions:

1.Ground pin 4 to pin 8 of the data link connector (DLC). The receiver will respond by locking and unlocking the doors, and activating the liftgate window release (if equipped) within 2 seconds.

2.Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on the first transmitter to be programmed until the locks cycle (approximately 10 seconds).

3.Repeat step 2 for up to four total transmitters to be programmed (if available). The receiver will respond by locking and unlocking the doors and activating the liftgate window release (if equipped) within 2 seconds.

4.Remove the ground applied to the DLC.

5.Lock and unlock the doors in order to verify the transmitter operation.

6.Activate the rear window release in order to verify the transmitter operation.

But when I went to try it, I realized that I have a different style DLC connector. I don't have a camera, but it doesn't look like this:

dlc2.jpg

It is more square than that one and only has 7 pins going across.

Does anyone have any idea how to program a remote for this vehicle? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

0 answers to this question

OK update #2

I figured it out. For vehicles with the 12 pin connector like mine, use the same procedure as in my first post, but jump the top right and lower left pins in the picture from my second post instead of pins 4 and 8. I hope this helps someone who is having the same problems as I did.

It appears that you have a pre OBDII connector. The OBD II connector with 16 pins became standard in 96 with some 94 and 95 models having it. You'll need to contact the manufacturer of the key fobs to see how to program them with this connector.

Archived