Nbs 5.3 Oil Leak .

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bugmenot

bugmenot

Enthusiast

• 47 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

Had oil leaking by the starter . GM dealer replaced the oil pan gasket under warranty . Anyone else have this problem ? Just me ?

#2 GMAnimal

GMAnimal

Enthusiast

• 292 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:25 PM

I've seen a few posts about it so it must not be unheard of but I don't think it was widespread. Stuff happens to all makes.

#3 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

My 02 leaked at the oil pan as well. It was leaking just above the oil filter where the oil passages come through to the filter. They also fixed mine under warranty and it is dry as a powder house now.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#4 VMax2007

VMax2007

I'm not always RIGHT, but I am never WRONG!

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

Had oil leaking by the starter . GM dealer replaced the oil pan gasket under warranty . Anyone else have this problem ? Just me ?

Call them tomorrow to set up another appt. If you had oil near your starter (like on the boltheads), it was NOT the oil pan, but the Crank Position Sensor seal. Trust me, I had this problem and my dealer tried the oil pan first, then the rear main, and on the 3rd try finally got it.

Do a search here, I had a thread about this in 2007, as have several others. It is a common problem.

Edit: What year truck? By "nbs" I assume it's a 2007+ GMT900, right?

Edited by VMax2007, 04 March 2009 - 09:30 PM.

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

#5 C & A s Dad

C & A s Dad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,888 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

Jeff, there is a really good chance you are right about this, especially since it is a NBS truck. However, on my 02, I had oil on my starter bolts and some coming out of the bell housing weep hole. The oil leaking from the pan gasket would be pulled into the bell housing by the spinning flywheel. The flywheel then distributed the oil all around including making it come out above the starter and run down and off the bolts. I have only heard of this one time on a NBS. Typically a leak on a NBS is the CPS like you said or possibly the rear main.

Hopefully they have fixed his.
'02 Yukon XL 5.3 4.10 Gear
True Flow CAI, Red Taylor 8.2 PowerVolt Wires, Amsoil Fluids front to rear, RA300 Filter Mag, AirLift Air Springs, PML Finned Alum. High Capacity Diff. Cover, Putnam XDR Class V Receiver, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Hypertech Max Energy Tuner

'71 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe SWB
350/4bbl, PS, AT, AC 100% Original, Even the Paint
100% American Iron

May the products and/or services that you provide not become incorrectly perceived as inferior to similar products and/or services offered by foreign companies as has happened with the Automotive Manufacturing Industry.
Be American, Buy American !!!

#6 ujtruck

ujtruck

Enthusiast

• 534 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Drives:2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD duramax 6.6 diesel turbo

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:40 PM

I knew Vmax going to asnswer this, yep do what Jeff said here, yes same thing happend to me, thats how I got fixed mine.

Thank you Jeff :cheers:

gr_chug.gif

#7 bugmenot

bugmenot

Enthusiast

• 47 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

Thanks! VMax2007 for you input on this. I will keep a sharp eye on the area for leaking oil and return to the dealer with you info. Truck is 2007 NBS 5.3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users