2002 Z71 Transmission Issues

superz

Question

Driving home from work tonight, pulled out in fast moving traffic and got on the gas pretty good. All of a sudden, the truck felt like it went into neutral, engine revved up, i let off the gas and then it went back into gear with a hard slam. I continued to drive 5 miles home at a slower rate. Now i don't have overdrive, no reverse and maybe no second gear (not sure, from a stop the rpm's rev really high then it shifts into the next gear, assuming third). I did a brief search on this site and saw a similar problem and it was caused by a broken sun gear??? Then the owner only had first and third gear, which i think i have?? What the heck is a sun gear??? The truck is a 2002, (bought in Aug 2001), Chevy 1500 Z71 Extended Cab, short bed, 5.3 L engine, with 155,000 miles & original everything. I am very particular with preventive maintenance and change oil and filters like clock work. Every time i change the oil (5,000 with Mobil 1) miles, i also pull the plug on the trans and drain and replace approx 3 qts of oil. I change the trans filter every 50,000 miles (using oem Delco parts) and just changed its about a month ago. Its mostly a highway driver, to and from work or sports. Not much towing (small boat and motorcycle trailer) and don't use 4x4 very much here in Texas (a couple times a year). I'm pretty sure i need to take it to the shop for a tranny rebuild but would like to know if my assessment is correct and if there are any other options i have. I plan on keeping the truck for several more years and don't want to jeopardize the quality of cheap rebuild with longevity. I don't race and don't need a shift kit or other performance item, just a good transmission and/or rebuild. Would it be worth my while to get some Vaseline and head to the dealer for a fix ($$$$ ouch, my A$$ hurts already just thinking about it) Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 answers to this question

Driving home from work tonight, pulled out in fast moving traffic and got on the gas pretty good. All of a sudden, the truck felt like it went into neutral, engine revved up, i let off the gas and then it went back into gear with a hard slam. I continued to drive 5 miles home at a slower rate. Now i don't have overdrive, no reverse and maybe no second gear (not sure, from a stop the rpm's rev really high then it shifts into the next gear, assuming third). I did a brief search on this site and saw a similar problem and it was caused by a broken sun gear??? Then the owner only had first and third gear, which i think i have?? What the heck is a sun gear??? The truck is a 2002, (bought in Aug 2001), Chevy 1500 Z71 Extended Cab, short bed, 5.3 L engine, with 155,000 miles & original everything. I am very particular with preventive maintenance and change oil and filters like clock work. Every time i change the oil (5,000 with Mobil 1) miles, i also pull the plug on the trans and drain and replace approx 3 qts of oil. I change the trans filter every 50,000 miles (using oem Delco parts) and just changed its about a month ago. Its mostly a highway driver, to and from work or sports. Not much towing (small boat and motorcycle trailer) and don't use 4x4 very much here in Texas (a couple times a year). I'm pretty sure i need to take it to the shop for a tranny rebuild but would like to know if my assessment is correct and if there are any other options i have. I plan on keeping the truck for several more years and don't want to jeopardize the quality of cheap rebuild with longevity. I don't race and don't need a shift kit or other performance item, just a good transmission and/or rebuild. Would it be worth my while to get some Vaseline and head to the dealer for a fix ($$$$ ouch, my A$$ hurts already just thinking about it) Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to the 4l60e world! Sounds like your typlical sun gear. You need a total rebuild its toast now, with that many miles theres really no way to just repair but to rebuild too much has been overheated due to this issue hopefully it didnt eat too much hard parts. The best route is a creat tranny from GM come with 3 year 36k mile warranty most tranny shops cant beat that! Plus its about the same price as a rebuild with a few hard parts.

Archived