Tow/haul Switch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gmcjohn

gmcjohn

Enthusiast

• 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra Z71 and the tow/haul switch no longer works . It appears that the steering wheel has to come off to replace it {which worries me cause of the air bag}.I am pretty handy with automotive work and i should have all the tools to do the job,I just need to know how.--Is IT really needed ?when it did work I didnt notice much difference.Any info will be greatly appreciated.

#2 Tex-Mex

Tex-Mex

El Vato mas Loco

• 2,092 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

It does help hold the gears longer. All you really need to do for the airbag is unhook the battery and wait about 15 minutes for it to "discharge" its energy and you will be good.
Posted Image
2006 Sierra 5.3L
Current mods-accessories:Flowmaster 40-series SI-DO/K&N drop-in filter/Rhino Liner/35%Tint

Planned mods-accessories:True duals/Air-Raid MIT Intake Tube/'Vette Servo/Blackbear Tune/Lowering Kit/Bed Cover of some sort/Antenna Delete
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nobody can make you feel nferior without your permission--Eleanor Roosevelt

#3 pwall

pwall

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,884 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

Check the wires in the steering column for the tow/haul switch by removing the rubber boot at the end of the gear handle. It could just be the wire is broken. Common problem.
Hence, may not be a need to remove the air bag.
Patrick.
Posted Image
Black Truck Member # ?? DMax Club Member # ??
RV Forum: http://rv-forums.org

#4 markw8

markw8

Enthusiast

• 874 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:15 AM

Also if you remove the airbag, when everything is reinstalled and your ready to turn the ignition on, reach in from behind the wheel the first time. This was told to me by a dealer tech when I had the bag out of my Jeep.

Mark

#5 Fyrcaptain

Fyrcaptain

Enthusiast

• 314 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

Your's have the button in the end of the shifter?
I just replaced mine (2006) replaced the whole shifter stalk w/switch and it was a pita.....needed 4 more fingers the size of stringbeans......didn't remove the airbag though.
Had to remove the steering column "clamshell" plastic parts that surround the column (that was a pain), locate where on the opposite side of the column the wite connects to (spaghetti patch), plus it has 2 wire securing plastic gizmoes that had to be pried loose from their mooring points.......T27 bit to get the shifter handle out........that sucker was TIGHT....thought I was going to strip the bit.

Edited by Fyrcaptain, 11 March 2009 - 08:54 AM.

2006 Yukon Denali XL Sport Red / Gray

#6 silveradobobby

silveradobobby

Enthusiast

• 140 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

Check the wires in the steering column for the tow/haul switch by removing the rubber boot at the end of the gear handle. It could just be the wire is broken. Common problem.
Hence, may not be a need to remove the air bag.

Correct I 2nd that!! I see it all the time breaks right at the shifter handle! If you dont want to replace it can trim back alittle and repair the wires with some butt connector to correct the issue its the cheap fix FREE!
ASE Master Tech 15+ years, Mechanical Engineer 10+ Years, HVAC Enigneer and Master Tech 10+ Years
2008 Silverado LS SB SC, Victory Red 4.8L, CAI Open Element, Dumped Flowmaster, DIC Upgrade, Gm Fog Light Upgrade, Color Matched Handles and Mirrors, 2" Lowering Shackles. Coming Soon Banks Headers, Diablo Tuner and G80.

#7 dickey

dickey

Enthusiast

• 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

i have the same problem with my silverado. when in drive i can move shifter up and down just a bit while hitting the button and tow haul will come on everytime

#8 Stevens11

Stevens11

Senior Enthusiast

• 8,153 posts
  • Drives:2011 GMC Sierra Crewcab 6.2L

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

Orange wire... thats whats wrong, it's broken or semi-broken and why it works sometimes.

Steven

Posted Image

Storm Gray TRUCK CLUB: Member #1
2011 GMC Sierra SLT Crewcab 6.2L with NHT and 3.73 gears

Visit My Website

Current truck:
Denali Grill, 2" RC Leveling kit, Boss MT100 20x8.5 wheels w/ 305/50r20 Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tires, Blackbear tuned, Extang Full Tilt Bed cover, GMC Bedrug, 15% Tint, and Custom Dynamics light bar.

Previous trucks:
2007 Sierra 6.0 Vmax crewcab 4x4, 275/55r20's Cooper Zeon LTZ tires, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Denali Grill, Bedrug, Extang Full Tilt Tonneau Cover, Blackbear performance Custom tune
2003 Silverado 5.3L extended cab 4x4, 6" Skyjacker lift, 315/75r16 BFG tires, Goodmark Cowl hood, Billet grill, K&N 77-Series intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Wait4me PCM tune
2001 S10 Crewcab 4.3L 4x4; 3" body lift, 31" BFG K/O tires, Flowmaster 50-series exhaust, K&N 63-series intake, relocated IAT sensor, E-fans, TB Spacer, Jet stage 2 chip with B&M shift improver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users