Tow/haul Switch

gmcjohn

Question

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra Z71 and the tow/haul switch no longer works . It appears that the steering wheel has to come off to replace it {which worries me cause of the air bag}.I am pretty handy with automotive work and i should have all the tools to do the job,I just need to know how.--Is IT really needed ?when it did work I didnt notice much difference.Any info will be greatly appreciated.

0 answers to this question

Check the wires in the steering column for the tow/haul switch by removing the rubber boot at the end of the gear handle. It could just be the wire is broken. Common problem.

Hence, may not be a need to remove the air bag.

Your's have the button in the end of the shifter?

I just replaced mine (2006) replaced the whole shifter stalk w/switch and it was a pita.....needed 4 more fingers the size of stringbeans......didn't remove the airbag though.

Had to remove the steering column "clamshell" plastic parts that surround the column (that was a pain), locate where on the opposite side of the column the wite connects to (spaghetti patch), plus it has 2 wire securing plastic gizmoes that had to be pried loose from their mooring points.......T27 bit to get the shifter handle out........that sucker was TIGHT....thought I was going to strip the bit.

Also if you remove the airbag, when everything is reinstalled and your ready to turn the ignition on, reach in from behind the wheel the first time. This was told to me by a dealer tech when I had the bag out of my Jeep.

Mark

Check the wires in the steering column for the tow/haul switch by removing the rubber boot at the end of the gear handle. It could just be the wire is broken. Common problem.

Hence, may not be a need to remove the air bag.

Correct I 2nd that!! I see it all the time breaks right at the shifter handle! If you dont want to replace it can trim back alittle and repair the wires with some butt connector to correct the issue its the cheap fix FREE!

Archived