2001 Gmc Sierra Fires But Wont Stay Runnin? I Need Help Asap Please

1lyndon2

Question

we just recently built a 2001 gmc from frame up everything works lights computer lots of spark lots of fuel changed all sencers new wireing harnesses everything. but the truck will not run it will start and fire run for a second then die?? but i noticed when we try to start it the truck roles forward a lil bit i think i might have something to do with out transmission? or a sencer on the transmission? i need help real bad been trying to figure this out for days any idea anyone please???

0 answers to this question

Do you have a security light on or blinking? Sounds like a paslock issue. Did you change any of these components= PCM,Steering column or ign lock, BCM?

ya we changed everything but i think ur right the security light is blinking but i have been hearing that the computer might need to be re programed or de coded? lol ive tryed everything to bad i cant decode it myself

Fuel pump? Those pumps were known to have a short life. It might be getting enough fuel to start but not continue running. It doesn't take much fuel to just fire up the engine.

its not that either open the bleed off velve and it shoots fuel like crazy and we know there is lots of spark too. something is telling the motor not to run. its gotta be the computer but we have changed it out 3 times already. were still stummped changed all sensors i was just out there trying it again 5 min ago but still nothing?

(1). Attempt to start vehicle. You MUST rotate the ignition key enough to try to start the vehicle. Vehicle will briefly start and quit. LEAVE KEY ON !!

(2). Observe “Security Light”. The Security light may initially flash, but will remain on steady for a period of 10 minutes, provided you left the key in the ON position. Some earlier trucks will flash between 'security' and 'battery' in the information center. The battery light will be the only remaining indicator if this applies to your vehicle, and will not flash 'security' after 10 minutes. When the security light goes out (10 minutes have expired), turn the KEY OFF—and wait 5 seconds.

(3). Repeat steps (1) through (2) an additional 2 more times for a total of 3 relearn attempts. Remember to turn the key off between each of the 3 total relearn attempts as stated in step (2).

(4). Truck or car should start on the 4th attempt, provided you didn’t make a mistake in one of the 3 prior relearn sequences. This is a simple procedure, but often done incorrectly.

Other than that...Like felix stated...need a tech2.

Try the passlock relearn.

The following procedure allows for anyone to reprogram the EVO/Passlock™ module learned data code with any tools, other than the scan tool, when any of the following parts are replaced:

- The EVO/Passlock™ module

- The passlock™ sensor

- The VCM/PCM

The following is the Auto Learn Procedure:

1) Insure the ignition key is in the ON position.

2) Clear all EVO/passlock™ module and VCM/PCM DTCs. Record and refer any VCM/PCM DTCs to:

- For 5.0/5.7L engines, refer to Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check in Engine Controls - 5.0/5.7L

3) Momentarily rotate the ignition key to the CRANK position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the RUN position (Do NOT key OFF in the process).

4) Wait 10 minutes. Observe the SECURITY indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses:

- If the passlock™ sensor was replaced the SECURITY indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration.

- If the EVO/passlock™ module was replaced, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration.

- If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary.

- If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the SECURITY indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain ON for the 10 minutes duration.

5) The SECURITY indicator will transition from flashing to ON briefly to OFF after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition ON position.

6) Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and wait for 10 seconds.

Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the Passlock sensor, EVO/Passlock module and VCM/PCM.

7) The new password is learned on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from OFF to CRANK to ON (start attempt).

Archived