Z71 Option In 2007...what Is It?

I am looking at a 2007 Silverado, but it has the Z71 package. I have read different statements as to what Z71 entails.

My biggest question is what does it do for the ride? This truck will be on the highway most of its life so I want a nice smooth, quiet ride. Will the Z71 help or hurt the ride???

Thanks!!!

It's a street/handling suspension set-up.

I thought it was actually for "off road" handling. Bilstein shocks and skid pans.

Has anyone put any significant seat time in both a Z51 and standard?

I thought it was actually for "off road" handling. Bilstein shocks and skid pans.

It is Z71, not Z51.

It is Z71, not Z51.

Shoot, sorry! Got the vette on the brain. HA!

According to the '09 Silverado website, Z71 includes this:

Z71 Suspension Package, Off-Road, includes 1.81" (46 mm) shocks, off-road jounce bumpers, 34mm front stabilizer bar, Skid Plate Package, air cleaner and Z71 decals on rear quarters.

The Z71 package costs $275.00 but when you select Z71 on the Build Your Own page on the Silverado website, it says that the "Skid Plate Package" is required when you order Z71 and is an extra $150.00

My 08 LTZ has the Z71 option and the window sticker shows "Off Road Suspension Package for $275 and the line under that says "Off Road Skid Plates but doesn't show any additional price :lol:

As for the ride in the Z71... I only have about 5k on my 08 but most of them have been high way. A few trips from FT Knox to home (Dayton, OH) and a few trips from Knox to Evansville, IN. It rides great on the high ways. The only difference the dealer told me when I bought it was that the Z71 has the off road skid plates and a "off road" suspension. I can tell you I enjoy it on every road but the wife drove it back to Ohio when I left and she said it was the best thing she has driven on the high way. However, she drives a Furd Mustang.

I like the ride of my Z71 on the highway. Nice and smooth. Maybe a tad rough on washboard pavement but its not too bad. Definately smoother than my 02 Camaro SS. As to the Offroad skidplates, they are adequate protection for a glancing blow at slow speeds. They will not hold up under real offroad conditions. They are thin compared to the 1/4" armor on my TJ. You get the radiator/engine skid and TC skid.

As to the Bilstein shocks, my cheapo 03 Trailblazer LS came with them stock. Too bad my $34K Sierra did not.

Would Bilsteins improve the ride of just make it firmer? Also, does somebody offer thicker, stronger skid plates for these trucks? I agree that the OEM skid plates look a bit flimsy to be of any practical use off road.

Archived