4wd Problems

drive strate line then stop and put it on reverse drive in reverse for 20-40 yards and it will disengage

i have been told to do this exact procedure every time i take it out of 4wd to make sure it disengages, stop take it out of 4wd, put it in reverse, go back a few feet and it seems to work every time for me so far :rolleyes:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 years later...

I'm digging up an old three as I just had the same problem occur. While checking to make sure my 4wd worked properly, I switched it to 4wd auto and the the 4wd service light came on. It would not switch back to 2hi nor could I hear it trying to.

From the sounds of this thread, the issues could 1) dash switch 2) encoder motor/senor 3) TCCM.

I was able to get it to switch back into 2hi (i never heard it actually switch though) by unhooking negative terminal, waiting 5 mins, hooking back up, starting truck and immediately pulling the fuse. The service light did not come back on. Drove a few times around the block and it seems to be fine. When I restarted the truck, the service 4wd light came back on, but at least it is still in 2wd. The lights on the dash switch are still off, which I assume have to do with the fuse being pulled.

Do any of these additional facts help narrow down the problem?

Thanks!

Thank you for your help. When I had the code pulled, the ATC fuse was pulled. If I put the fuse back, it switches back to 4wd. Could the lack of fuse be the reason for the code? Should I have the code pulled while the fuse is in?

Thanks again!

I'm seeing a similar situation w/my truck except every so often, the DIC would throw a "Service 4-Wheel Drive" alert, and then nothing. I haven't switched it to 4WDin well over a year, though.

see post #35

Archived