Photo
- - - - -

Seriously... Where Is The Onstar Module In My Truck?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Paul58

Paul58

Enthusiast

• 733 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:25 AM

Before you say it, I tried search, and the last guy who posted this question was run through the wringer and never did get his question answered!

All I need to know is where is the OnStar Module located in a 2007 GMC Sierra SLT Ext Cab (GMT900) with the non-NAV Bose System, Captain Chairs?

I have purchased the CoStar BlueSTAR hands-free BlueTooth kit and I've heard it may be located behind the glove box and it may be under the center console, but before I tear the truck apart locating it, I thought I'd ask the experts!

So, have fun with me, but please help in the process! Thanks...
Paul... :)
SOLD: 2007 GMC Sierra SLT, Extended Cab, Standard Bed
Mods: 255/75-17 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, OEM Mud Flaps, EGR Bug Deflector, Line-X Over-Rail, Cargo Management System, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Prodigy Brake Controller, CoSTAR BlueSTAR integrated Bluetooth, GMPP CAI w/AEM DryFlow Filter, 3K lbs SuperSprings, Mag HyTec High Capacity Rear Differential Cover, and Back-up Camera...

2009 Itasca Suncruiser, 35P, W24 Workhorse Chassis, 8.1L Vortec, Allison 2350 6-Speed Tranny! Trak Bars and Sway Bars Front and Rear, Safe-T-Steer up front and CrossFire Air Management System on Rear Duals...
Posted Image
Get Cash Rebates on your On-Line Purchases!

#2 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:28 AM

The Onstar module is located in the center panel on the dash, under the radio. You have to remove the lower dash trim panel on the driver's side to remove the lower dash trim panel in the center.

This piece here where the ash tray is located.

If you are at all curious, the part that is behind the glove compartment is the XM module.

Edited by brims, 27 March 2009 - 09:53 AM.

Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#3 Paul58

Paul58

Enthusiast

• 733 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the help... Any other tips on removing these panels so I don't screw up anything? I don't think I have the ashtray, of if so never noticed it... Also, that appears to be the SLE Dash, not the SLT dash, are they in the same location regardless of the dash you have? I have the SLT Dash... Thanks...

Edited by Paul58, 27 March 2009 - 10:56 AM.

Paul... :)
SOLD: 2007 GMC Sierra SLT, Extended Cab, Standard Bed
Mods: 255/75-17 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, OEM Mud Flaps, EGR Bug Deflector, Line-X Over-Rail, Cargo Management System, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Prodigy Brake Controller, CoSTAR BlueSTAR integrated Bluetooth, GMPP CAI w/AEM DryFlow Filter, 3K lbs SuperSprings, Mag HyTec High Capacity Rear Differential Cover, and Back-up Camera...

2009 Itasca Suncruiser, 35P, W24 Workhorse Chassis, 8.1L Vortec, Allison 2350 6-Speed Tranny! Trak Bars and Sway Bars Front and Rear, Safe-T-Steer up front and CrossFire Air Management System on Rear Duals...
Posted Image
Get Cash Rebates on your On-Line Purchases!

#4 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:38 PM

Oh dang, the SLT dash is different you have to remove that face plate from around the radio if I remember correctly. Then I believe you have to remove the A/C controls. I don't have my Helm manual with me so I can't look it up. I have the Chevy equivelant of the SLE dash. When I get home I'll look it up if no one else has chimed in.
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau

#5 VMax2007

VMax2007

I'm not always RIGHT, but I am never WRONG!

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:41 PM

It's under the tinfoil hat....oh wait, that's optional. :mad:

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

#6 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Ok, here it is, remove the trim plate, it just pops into place. Then you need to remove the HVAC control module which you need to remove the accessory switch assembly first which has 2 screws. The HVAC controls looks like it has 2 screws holding it in. Then you have to remove the radio which has 4 screws. Then 2 tabs you push to release the OnStar module.
Posted Image

#7 tshamburger

tshamburger

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

Ok, here it is, remove the trim plate, it just pops into place. Then you need to remove the HVAC control module which you need to remove the accessory switch assembly first which has 2 screws. The HVAC controls looks like it has 2 screws holding it in. Then you have to remove the radio which has 4 screws. Then 2 tabs you push to release the OnStar module.

Do you have this information for a 2006 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab with the cd/tape radio?

#8 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:48 PM

Sorry, I only have the service manual for the 2008, which is the same as the 07 and mostly the same for the 09. Someone else will have to direct you to it's location.
Posted Image

#9 Jerman2000

Jerman2000

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

Did you happen to take any pictures while installing the Bluestar unit? I just purchased one and am dreading the install. Any suggestions when installing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

#10 HawkeyeOC

HawkeyeOC

4 wrenches & 1 loose nut

• 1,904 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:53 AM

The Onstar module is located in the center panel on the dash, under the radio. You have to remove the lower dash trim panel on the driver's side to remove the lower dash trim panel in the center.

This piece here where the ash tray is located.

If you are at all curious, the part that is behind the glove compartment is the XM module.

Many thanks for pointing the OnStar location out. I had to run a wire from that module to the OEM nav system I was installing. This saved me a lot of guesswork when I ran across this thread :thumbs:
2007 GMC Sierra SLE-2 Crew Cab
5.3L Summit White/ebony cloth interior with the "lint attracting seats" option, a 5 pack of 3M lint rollers behind the backseat, and 1 crooked Z71 sticker
Mods:Line-X, A.R.E. cap, Front air dam removed, Scosche Bluefusion bluetooth interface, OEM Nav system (had tons of fun ripping out 1/2 my interior for that...lol
Other rides:
1998 Toyota Rav4 SOLD (family grew out of the clown car)
2008 Toyota Rav4 (Seats 7 midgets in perfect comfort)
1965 Ford Mustang GT
An electric lawnmower to make the greenies happy
Posted Image

#11 gene1988

gene1988

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:18 AM

i have chevy 2500 2008 model,it was missing the radio nd onstar box,iv replacd radio but the onstar box is expensive,does it hav to b installed for onstar to track vehicle .

#12 cottagecottage

cottagecottage

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

[quote name='gene1988' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:18 AM' post='951031']
i have chevy 2500 2008 model,it was missing the radio nd onstar box,iv replacd radio but the onstar box is expensive,does it hav to b installed for onstar to track vehicle .

OK I am in the same boat....I have a 2011 GMC Sierra ext cab 4X4 and I would like to install the bluestar also....So I need to know where the onstar module is......Thanks for any help

Rob

Edited by cottagecottage, 29 October 2011 - 08:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here