Cb Radio Install

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Lankhimself

Lankhimself

Enthusiast

• 41 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

After what felt like a week using a Dremel, drill, razor knife, etc. I finally got my big honkin' Cobra 29LTD to sit in my center console. Although my hands are nicked and cut, I'm very happy with the install. There really isn't any other appealing spot for a radio this size.

Some pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
and the external speaker...used a stock screw in the lower dash to mount the bracket so I didn't have to drill. My leg doesn't hit it at all and I'm not a small dude, 6'5" tall.
Posted Image
2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT - 5.3L Vortec - Z71 package

#2 Draenor

Draenor

I'm offsetting your carbon credits!!!!!

• 3,605 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

Looks good... :mad:

Why does everyone use Cobra?

Galaxy FTW..... :D

2004 GMC 2500 Sierra Metallic Gray CC/SWB

#3 Kayaker

Kayaker

Enthusiast

• 227 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

Wow, good looking install. Looks like it fits pretty snug in there. Is it just an "interference" fit or do you actually have it screwed down in there somehow? I take it most of the cutting was in the "back" portion of the cubby?

I've got one of the cheap cobra radios (18 WX STII or something like that), in my truck now, use it mostly for the NOAA channels. I've been thinking about doing the cubby install on a scanner (been looking at the Uniden models) for a while now, just a bit queasy on cutting up the center console.
2007 LT2 Silverado Classic Ext, Oynx Black, 5.3L, Z71

Extras - On board air compressor & receiver tank, 1000W 12-to-120V inverter, dual battery system, Westin 'wheel to wheel' nerf bars, BakFlip G2 cover, CB w/ firestik, bunch of other stuff...

My Garage

#4 Silverado_Monkey

Silverado_Monkey

Enthusiast

• 399 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:23 PM

Nice job!

I did sort of teh same thing except I mounted a 7" fold out touchscreen LCD in that pocket on my truck and mounted my CB where your external speaker is.
Posted Image

#5 Lankhimself

Lankhimself

Enthusiast

• 41 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

Wow, good looking install. Looks like it fits pretty snug in there. Is it just an "interference" fit or do you actually have it screwed down in there somehow? I take it most of the cutting was in the "back" portion of the cubby?

I've got one of the cheap cobra radios (18 WX STII or something like that), in my truck now, use it mostly for the NOAA channels. I've been thinking about doing the cubby install on a scanner (been looking at the Uniden models) for a while now, just a bit queasy on cutting up the center console.

I was gonna put in a couple L-brackets, but space was tighter than I expected. It's snug in there and isn't going anywhere, though. The cutting took forever, and if you look behind that cubby piece that pops out you'll see all that needs to be gutted in order to make that huge radio fit in there.

#6 pwall

pwall

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,884 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

Nice install!

My radio is about the same size, but I can't figure out the best place to install it on the '07. :mad:
Patrick.
Posted Image
Black Truck Member # ?? DMax Club Member # ??
RV Forum: http://rv-forums.org

#7 Draenor

Draenor

I'm offsetting your carbon credits!!!!!

• 3,605 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

BTW your baggie of meth is in plain view. :mad:

2004 GMC 2500 Sierra Metallic Gray CC/SWB

#8 Lankhimself

Lankhimself

Enthusiast

• 41 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

BTW your baggie of meth is in plain view. :D

Haha that's actually a few unused screws from the mount I bought for my CB antenna. :mad:

#9 Droop911

Droop911

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:05 AM

wow that looks really good man!! i have the same CB and i have a single cab 08 sierra so i dont have a center console :)

Attached Files

#10 c4cruiser

c4cruiser

Enthusiast

• 847 posts
  • Name:George
  • Drives:08 Black Silverado Z71 6.0

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

wow that looks really good man!! i have the same CB and i have a single cab 08 sierra so i dont have a center console :)

How did you mount your antennas? From your pic, it looks like they are in the forward stake holes in the bed, right??
George

08 Black Silverado LTZ Z71 Ext. Cab VortecMax 6.0 StabiliTrak
87 Gold Vette Coupe
02 Electron Blue Vette coupe supercharged

#11 Lankhimself

Lankhimself

Enthusiast

• 41 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

How did you mount your antennas? From your pic, it looks like they are in the forward stake holes in the bed, right??

Yeah that looks like what it is

Edited by Lankhimself, 28 March 2009 - 10:30 AM.

#12 pj5454302

pj5454302

Enthusiast

• 276 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

I have an old midland 40 channle cb and a 9ft whip on the back bumper.
Posted Image
2000 GMC Jimmy 2 dr 4.3 4x4 Z85
No precat and straight pipe |4300k HID converted Kc Daylighters| 4, 9 inch HID spot lights on the roof |Locked lifted and ready for the trails.
For pics click link http://www.cardomain...de/3800174Check it out

#13 jcinga

jcinga

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:04 PM

You should be proud of that install! That's as clean as it gets! I have an '08 Sierra 2500 HD with no console and am looking to install a CB, but can't seem to find a suitable location that looks clean. I have a Cobra 29 LTD, but will get something smaller if it can be mounted and look good. Also, how/where do you mount the anteanna brackets? I had an '05 Silverado and mounted the dual brackets inside the front post holes in the bed. Had to do some spacing of the brackets, but it was a clean install. Can you post pictures of the anteanna mounts as well? Thanks and congrats on the good job in mountion your CB!

#14 pwall

pwall

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,884 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:01 AM

Old thread....but since it's been pushed to the top, I might as well put an update in.
Finally got my CB installed (mind you this was last summer). Good friend of mine made me a mounting base.
It works very well, and since it's only placed in the storage area of the concsole, it can be removed very easily if requierd.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Patrick.
Posted Image
Black Truck Member # ?? DMax Club Member # ??
RV Forum: http://rv-forums.org

#15 AzDragonLord

AzDragonLord

Enthusiast

• 418 posts
  • Drives:2009 GMC Sierra Extended Cab

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

Good lookin' install there pwall. :cheers:

If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users