Cb Radio Install

After what felt like a week using a Dremel, drill, razor knife, etc. I finally got my big honkin' Cobra 29LTD to sit in my center console. Although my hands are nicked and cut, I'm very happy with the install. There really isn't any other appealing spot for a radio this size.

Some pics:

img0897u.jpg

img0898n.jpg

img0900n.jpg

and the external speaker...used a stock screw in the lower dash to mount the bracket so I didn't have to drill. My leg doesn't hit it at all and I'm not a small dude, 6'5" tall.

img0901z.jpg

Wow, good looking install. Looks like it fits pretty snug in there. Is it just an "interference" fit or do you actually have it screwed down in there somehow? I take it most of the cutting was in the "back" portion of the cubby?

I've got one of the cheap cobra radios (18 WX STII or something like that), in my truck now, use it mostly for the NOAA channels. I've been thinking about doing the cubby install on a scanner (been looking at the Uniden models) for a while now, just a bit queasy on cutting up the center console.

Wow, good looking install. Looks like it fits pretty snug in there. Is it just an "interference" fit or do you actually have it screwed down in there somehow? I take it most of the cutting was in the "back" portion of the cubby?

I've got one of the cheap cobra radios (18 WX STII or something like that), in my truck now, use it mostly for the NOAA channels. I've been thinking about doing the cubby install on a scanner (been looking at the Uniden models) for a while now, just a bit queasy on cutting up the center console.

I was gonna put in a couple L-brackets, but space was tighter than I expected. It's snug in there and isn't going anywhere, though. The cutting took forever, and if you look behind that cubby piece that pops out you'll see all that needs to be gutted in order to make that huge radio fit in there.

wow that looks really good man!! i have the same CB and i have a single cab 08 sierra so i dont have a center console :)

How did you mount your antennas? From your pic, it looks like they are in the forward stake holes in the bed, right??

wow that looks really good man!! i have the same CB and i have a single cab 08 sierra so i dont have a center console :)

How did you mount your antennas? From your pic, it looks like they are in the forward stake holes in the bed, right??

Yeah that looks like what it is

• 2 years later...

You should be proud of that install! That's as clean as it gets! I have an '08 Sierra 2500 HD with no console and am looking to install a CB, but can't seem to find a suitable location that looks clean. I have a Cobra 29 LTD, but will get something smaller if it can be mounted and look good. Also, how/where do you mount the anteanna brackets? I had an '05 Silverado and mounted the dual brackets inside the front post holes in the bed. Had to do some spacing of the brackets, but it was a clean install. Can you post pictures of the anteanna mounts as well? Thanks and congrats on the good job in mountion your CB!

Old thread....but since it's been pushed to the top, I might as well put an update in.

Finally got my CB installed (mind you this was last summer). Good friend of mine made me a mounting base.

It works very well, and since it's only placed in the storage area of the concsole, it can be removed very easily if requierd.

cb1.jpg

cb2.jpg

Archived