'09 Oem Factory Brake Controller

My Dad just purchased an '09 2500hd with the factory brake controller. The trailer brakes are not functioning, and the "output" on the dash info screen reads "-----" when the brakes are applied. Am I missing something? brake, running, and turn signal lighting are all functional.

We have the 2 trailer brake leads taped up under the hood, are they supposed to be connected to the studs as you would if you had an aftermarket controller?

I can take it into the dealer, but I figured I ask as its sometimes easier to just correct an issue yourself....

TIA

Well, as far as I recall, one of them is for the battery charger lead in the 7 pin harness. (the second one may be for the slide-in camper harness, or for reverse lights) the _ _ _ is supposed to either mean a wiring problem or no trailer connected.

Just to be clear, have you recently used this trailer with a known working brake controller?

I haven't actually tried mine yet so I can't tell you for sure, but I didn't think anything needed to be connected just for the brakes to work.

PLEASE update this thread when you figure anything out.

-Jer

I have the same factory brake controller in my truck and I didn't have to do anything special to get the trailer brakes to work, just plug in the trailer. If you push the slide control over with no trailer attached the display will read something like "not connected", then when the trailer is connected it give an "output" reading.

I have towed ~2,000 miles with my trailer and the controller works great. I had a tanaska prodigy controller in my old truck and havn't noticed a difference.

My Dad just upgraded his travel trailers tow rig, the previous truck had a prodigy controller and it worked flawlessly.

One of the leads under the hood, the one between the fuse box and the drivers fender, is labeled "aftermarket brake control". I assume this does not need to be connected. But what about the other one? Its located at the harness that passes under the master cylinder. Both of these needed to be connected in my GMT900 for the prodigy to work, I wonder if the same applies to the factory unit?

Hass1500- Would you mind checking under the hood of your rig to see if these wires are connected?

My Dad just upgraded his travel trailers tow rig, the previous truck had a prodigy controller and it worked flawlessly.

One of the leads under the hood, the one between the fuse box and the drivers fender, is labeled "aftermarket brake control". I assume this does not need to be connected. But what about the other one? Its located at the harness that passes under the master cylinder. Both of these needed to be connected in my GMT900 for the prodigy to work, I wonder if the same applies to the factory unit?

Hass1500- Would you mind checking under the hood of your rig to see if these wires are connected?

I had the prodigy too, great controller, I'm hoping the factory built in works even better.

Did you see my question about whether you were confident the trailer wiring is working?

I know the last time I took my trailer out last season it had an issue, even though it had been fine the previous time I had it out, that's why I ask. You should get the message "trailer connected" on the instrument panel when you connect a trailer that has properly working trailer brakes.

Go to this pdf, http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/2007_BB...00_Elec_D3b.pdf

and go down to A58... it kind of supports what I said about the +12V supply (which would be a red wire)

The pages from A53 to A56 pertain only to vehicles withOUT the Integrated control.

-Jer

My Dad just purchased an '09 2500hd with the factory brake controller. The trailer brakes are not functioning, and the "output" on the dash info screen reads "-----" when the brakes are applied. Am I missing something? brake, running, and turn signal lighting are all functional.

We have the 2 trailer brake leads taped up under the hood, are they supposed to be connected to the studs as you would if you had an aftermarket controller?

I can take it into the dealer, but I figured I ask as its sometimes easier to just correct an issue yourself....

TIA

I dont have the brake controller, and I know this may be simplistic but often it is the easiest things we overlook. After years in the trucking business...The first thing to look at might be the pig tail..just spray a bit of WD-40 on it and plug it in...move it around maybe unplug and replug it and make sure its all the way in.. even though the lights are working one pin could have just enough of a film of whatever for it not to work. Just a thought...Good luck. M.R.

Yes, I'm sure the trailer brakes are functional, I hooked it up to my 1500 and it worked fine.

Griptruk- thanks for the link, when I plug the trailer into the 2500, I dont get the "trailer connected" message. Whats funny though, is that the running lights, brake lights, and turn signals are functional on the trailer.... just no brakes

I'll make sure the harness is in good order and play with that end to see if I can get the connection, if not, I'll be heading down to the dealer on monday

Yes, I'm sure the trailer brakes are functional, I hooked it up to my 1500 and it worked fine.

Griptruk- thanks for the link, when I plug the trailer into the 2500, I dont get the "trailer connected" message. Whats funny though, is that the running lights, brake lights, and turn signals are functional on the trailer.... just no brakes

I'll make sure the harness is in good order and play with that end to see if I can get the connection, if not, I'll be heading down to the dealer on monday

I'm gonna be able to hook up my trailer for the first time today so I can see if I have any issues. I'll let you know what happens.

I guess my next question would be, is there any way your trailer has a different pin configuration than the truck?

-Jer

I'm gonna be able to hook up my trailer for the first time today so I can see if I have any issues. I'll let you know what happens.

I guess my next question would be, is there any way your trailer has a different pin configuration than the truck?

-Jer

I doubt it, the 7 pin connector configuration has been an industry standard forever

I doubt it, the 7 pin connector configuration has been an industry standard forever

OK, I have some potentially bad news for you.

I just hooked up to my trailer and everything worked right away. I didn't even turn the truck off and it said "Trailer Connected" immediately, and it displayed that for maybe 15 - 20 seconds. I was then able to adjust the gain and and if I squeeze the manual brake control it will show a little bar graph type thing representing the output. If I pulled the cable out it said "Check trailer wiring" and sounded a chime.

I was almost hoping for your sake that I'd have the same results and we'd just have to add a fuse or something.

Can you tell me what color that other wire is that you said is not connected and I'll look to see if it's connected on my truck? If there's any fuses you'd like me to see if I have I'll be happy to do that as well.

-Jer

ok, I'm blushing a bit. :thumbs: . I did some maintainence to the 7 pin connector this afternoon, cleaned the spades with contact cleaner, and applied some dilectric grease....

plugged her in and the "trailer connected" message popped right up..... hit the brake peddle and the output graph worked (vertical lines showing output power)...

The pitail from the trailer seems to be pretty worn, I'm not happy with connection, it doesnt feel tight. I'm going to look into replacing that next....

thanks all for the comments/ info...

Glad to hear you figured out the problem. Don't feel bad I have spend countless hours troubleshooting something only to find out it is something I should have checked in the first place. Happy towing.

NOTE: GM changed the pin out arrangement after 03 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check your truck and trailers pin outs with a test light !

Found this out the HARD way trying to use my 01s factory supplied harness

with my 04 truck !

Archived