Brake Controller Harness Location

I need to hook up a brake controller to my 2006 GMC 1500 4x4 pickup and I need to know where under the dash to look for the factory brake controller harness and any tricks as to how to get to it would be appreciated. I looked in owners manual, but could find nothing on this subject. I also looked under the dash, but it was not obvious where this harness was hiding. Thanks.

On an 06, it's actually a plug-in type of deal, it's located under the cover just beyond the parking brake release if I remember right.

Thats it!!!!! remove the plastic cover, plug in, check the fuse under the hood and your pretty much done.

• 1 month later...
Next time search first, ask second...You'd be surprised what you can find with a simple google search.

I have a 2001 Silverado. I bought it used and it has the towing hitch and 7 pin connector at the back but I am not sure if this is factory or installed later. I need to install brake controller....how do I tell if I have the factory towing package that should let me just plpug in the adaptor to the fuse box or if I need to connect wires under the hood and run the two wires to teh back? I am a bit confused.

How do you tell if you have the factory package? I tried calling a dealer and he couldn't tell me?

thanks for the help.

Next time search first, ask second...You'd be surprised what you can find with a simple google search.

I disagree with your statement. By asking questions it prompts thoughts for other people who may or may not thought of this, or something related to the topic. By asking it invokes conversation, such as it may be on a forum. No such thing as a dopey question, so I encourage to ask away.

I've been searching for a couple of hours, on-line and under the dash, trying to find the connector on my 2008 Sierra with the factory tow option. The trailer connector is wired, but I can't find the connector under the dash.

I've probably tried 35 or 40 different links and no joy. I've got the Tekonsha Prodigy with the specific model adapter.

Well, I just went out and looked again. I found the wires stuck inside a loom so that they looked like they were connected. My truck came with the towing package, but no controller socket under the dash. Wasn't that supposed to be wired with the tow package?

No, my '08 Yukon has the same setup as your Sierra. I hooked up my Prodigy with no problems. Be sure that you make the connections under the hood too. You'll need to connect the hot wire for the brakes and the battery charging circuit. There are two wires under the hood that need to be connected to the two studs at the front of the fuse block. If you search on this forum you should find the TSB that explains where to find the wires and how to make the connections.

I've been searching for a couple of hours, on-line and under the dash, trying to find the connector on my 2008 Sierra with the factory tow option. The trailer connector is wired, but I can't find the connector under the dash.

I've probably tried 35 or 40 different links and no joy. I've got the Tekonsha Prodigy with the specific model adapter.

Well, I just went out and looked again. I found the wires stuck inside a loom so that they looked like they were connected. My truck came with the towing package, but no controller socket under the dash. Wasn't that supposed to be wired with the tow package?

There is no plug / socket on an '08. There is a set of blunt cut wires under the dash that you need to connect to the controller. Then you need to hook up the wire that in under the master cylinder to the fuse block for trailer 12V, and the wire between the fender and the fuse block for the controller power. I can post instructions if you need them.

On a side note I have a Tekonsha 3015-P wire harness that has never been used for sale if anyone is in the need for one. Looks like it fits 03-07 Gm trucks.
Thanks bunches for the feedback, guys. I'd seen that video but thought my truck was supposed to have the connector and disregarded it until I found the wire ends.

If someone buys Crepitus' harness connector, and there's someone else who needs one, I'm in the same situation. I've got the 3015-P, also.

• 1 month later...
I have the factory tow package on my2005 Seirra. My ? is, where does the 40 amp fuse go??

I also have the factory tow package on my 2006 Sierra and when I added my trailer brake controller I just needed to plug in the supplied harness into the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side. The fuse box has a black cover over it that has to be removed to plug in the cable and there are fuses located there as well, although I did not need to add any fuses for my brake controller to work.

Archived