Impact Cut Off Switch For Fuel Pump?

obabika

Question

New to the Chev pickup scene. Was wondering if my 2007 Silverado 2500 HD truck would have an impact switch to cut off the flow of fuel to the engine in case of a vehicle crash (something similar Ford's )? If so, where is it located?

The reason I ask, I would like to insert a simple kill switch as an additional level of anti theft security by placing a toggle switch in the fuel pump circuit. If it doesn't have such a switch where would be an easy place to pick up the fuel pump circuit to insert a switch?

thanks and have a great day.

0 answers to this question

Ford is the only company I have seen that has an OEM impact switch. There may be others but I've never heard of one on a GM. I'd go for an ignition kill switch if I were you. Just as effective and readily available under the dash.

Hmmm...I always thought the PCM just cut off fuel when the airbags deployed. Guess I just made that up. :cool:

Possibly. I am not sure about the new trucks but I've seen technicians drive many wrecked GMT800s with deployed airbags into the body shop. The only vehicles that ever gave us any problems were the Fords.

Your truck has the VAT system and disables the vehicle when you take the key out of the Ign. If your truck is a GMT800 it has a chip & sensor in the key tumbler if its a GMT900 you have a chip on the key. You must have the correct key to start the vehicle.

I'd go for an ignition kill switch if I were you. Just as effective and readily available under the dash.

Reason for looking at the fuel shut off option was for simplicity on my part. I have not yet acquired a wiring diagram for the vehicle and the truck is equipped with remote start. Not sure if or how putting a switch in the ignition switch would impact remote starting...... i suspect it won't but not sure.

Thanks for answering my fuel switch question, and will have to get a Haynes manual when they become available.

cheers and have a great day.

Archived