Why In The World Do Our Trucks Still Come With Drums In The Rear?

I edited this initial topic starter to make us focus on a real question that could be backed up by concrete, rational data in lieu of us speculating the reasoning behind the decision to not include rear disc brakes as standard OEM equipment in all GM trucks

It is true that if one should choose a larger engine than the 5.3L, opt for the accessory package that better enables your truck for towing, or purchase a GMC Sierra Denali, your truck will come equipped with rear disc brakes instead of rear drum brakes

But heres a very good and interesting question:

Step 1: Take two PERFECTLY identical GM Nnbs trucks, who are not hauling or towing a load, have the same amount of gas in the tank, have drivers who are of identical weight, and have nothing inside, outside, attached to, or mounted on that would not be present when the truck rolls out of the factory

Step 2: Outfit truck A with the GM oem rear drums and outfit truck B with the GM oem rear discs.

Step 3: Would there be a measurable difference in 60 - 0 mph stopping distance? YES or NO

Mine has discs. :D

You have a 6.0, Lucky. I would have a 6.0 if this paint on my truck didn't sell me.

I have nothing against drums :thumbs:

I just hate how they look...in a world of trucks with 4 wheel discs, it just looks like a cheap way out to meet a price point or something. To me it's not enough attention to detail

I thought if you had stability trac... and the max trailer package (NHT), you got disk, otherwise you get drums.

Also, GM had issues with the rear disks and the parking brakes.

I thought if you had stability trac... and the max trailer package (NHT), you got disk, otherwise you get drums.

Also, GM had issues with the rear disks and the parking brakes.

Yeah, they did. But my parking brake works great in my 07. It sucked in my 2000. So, they can fix the parking brake but instead of addressing the issues they had with the discs, they go back to drums? Gee, I am sure glad they didn't have any issues with their fuel injectors, otherwise maybe we would all have carburetors again. :throwup:

:throwup::dunno::puke::puke::lol:

:D

Fixed. :D

But I do love this topic. I always find it amusing how people defend this BS to feel better about their truck. The bottom line is drums have no business in today's vehicles, especially trucks. Hell, even the Honda Pantyline has 4 wheel discs. :lol:

GM blew it here, plain and simple.

Yes...and no,You do get rear discs with the 6.0 engine,Stabilitrak and Max Trailering Pkg.,But you don't have to have the Max Trailer Pkg. to get them.

Both mine and Jeff's truck DO NOT have the Max Trailering Pkg.,However we both have the Stabilitrak and the 6.0,so therefore our trucks have the rear discs.

:throwup::dunno::puke::puke::lol:

:D

Fixed. :D

But I do love this topic. I always find it amusing how people defend this BS to feel better about their truck. The bottom line is drums have no business in today's vehicles, especially trucks. Hell, even the Honda Pantyline has 4 wheel discs. :D

GM blew it here, plain and simple.

I agree. I don't like it but as much as I'd like to have discs, I really don't care because my truck stops great.

If the appearance of my brakes was really that important I'd have a set of Baer's on there because the stockers aren't really all that impressive looking anyway. :lol:

Archived