Photo
- - - - -

Why In The World Do Our Trucks Still Come With Drums In The Rear?

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#31 VMax2007

VMax2007

I'm not always RIGHT, but I am never WRONG!

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

+1

The brakes on my '08 feel and stop better than my '02 so I'm not bothered by the rear drums. Would I rather have 4 wheel disc? Sure, for aesthetic purposes. Are 4 wheel discs worth spending more money for? Nope, not for my needs. I don't feel the rotors on these new trucks are as good of quality as they were on the 800's. The rotor's on the '07 I had started warping (vibrating) just before I sold it at 12,000 miles and I've already had my front rotors turned on the '08 at around 6,500 miles. I rarely pull a trailer and never haul anything heavy. :throwup:

I do agree that the rotors (front and rear) on the GMT900's are cheap (Chinese crap). I haven't had any warping issues yet, but my right front rotor has some grooves in it already, but they have smoothed out and do not appear to be getting worse, so it may have been from material transfer when they were new. I plan on upgrading to some nicer rotors when these wear out. But upgrading to higher grade rotors is alot easier/cheaper when you don't have to convert drums to discs. :dunno:

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

#32 Zembonez

Zembonez

10 YEAR GMT MEMBER

• Truck of the Year
  • 18,080 posts
  • Name:Jim
  • Drives:GMC Sierra

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

Jeff knows I am just harassing him a little here. I'm sure the new disc systems are quite good.

As far as the brake systems go, it really does boil down to how well engineered and executed they are. My 90s trucks had great brakes. 01 Silverado had superb disc/disc brakes, My 05 Silverado... disc/drum and not so great. My 07 has excellent disc/drum brakes. I think quality of brake lines and master cylinders has a lot to do with it.

a3-15-20124-07-34PM_0043acopy_zpsd6a10ce

FOUNDER of the RED TRUCK CLUB .

#33 Kilo-9

Kilo-9

Dog Is My Copilot!

• 2,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

So why does my truck have drum brakes in the rear?? I don't understand. I have a 5.3L engine.

Does the 6.0 and 6.2 come with rear disc brakes?

Is there a towing package that comes with rear discs?

My only thought is that because of my smaller engine, and lack of HD towing accesories/package, they slapped me with stupid drums.... UGH .... it's like a gigantic Honda Civic. It's gonna look great with my new wheels....NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no.

:throwup:
2010 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ Black Granite Metallic
2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS M6

#34 Paul58

Paul58

Enthusiast

• 733 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

My 69 C10 had drums front and rear, so this is a great improvement over that! Quite honestly, from inside the truck I don't even realize it has rear drums... Besides, it matches my Honda Fit, it has rear drums as well!
Paul... :)
SOLD: 2007 GMC Sierra SLT, Extended Cab, Standard Bed
Mods: 255/75-17 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, OEM Mud Flaps, EGR Bug Deflector, Line-X Over-Rail, Cargo Management System, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Prodigy Brake Controller, CoSTAR BlueSTAR integrated Bluetooth, GMPP CAI w/AEM DryFlow Filter, 3K lbs SuperSprings, Mag HyTec High Capacity Rear Differential Cover, and Back-up Camera...

2009 Itasca Suncruiser, 35P, W24 Workhorse Chassis, 8.1L Vortec, Allison 2350 6-Speed Tranny! Trak Bars and Sway Bars Front and Rear, Safe-T-Steer up front and CrossFire Air Management System on Rear Duals...
Posted Image
Get Cash Rebates on your On-Line Purchases!

#35 Bowtie2Sierra

Bowtie2Sierra

Enthusiast

• 952 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

+1

The brakes on my '08 feel and stop better than my '02 so I'm not bothered by the rear drums. Would I rather have 4 wheel disc? Sure, for aesthetic purposes. Are 4 wheel discs worth spending more money for? Nope, not for my needs. I don't feel the rotors on these new trucks are as good of quality as they were on the 800's. The rotor's on the '07 I had started warping (vibrating) just before I sold it at 12,000 miles and I've already had my front rotors turned on the '08 at around 6,500 miles. I rarely pull a trailer and never haul anything heavy. :throwup:

I do agree that the rotors (front and rear) on the GMT900's are cheap (Chinese crap). I haven't had any warping issues yet, but my right front rotor has some grooves in it already, but they have smoothed out and do not appear to be getting worse, so it may have been from material transfer when they were new. I plan on upgrading to some nicer rotors when these wear out. But upgrading to higher grade rotors is alot easier/cheaper when you don't have to convert drums to discs. :puke:

Smarta$$

:dunno:
Posted Image

#36 geektoad

geektoad

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,614 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra SLT All Terrain

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

Sorry, I'm not gonna read the whole thread, I just came in to say:

Posted Image

gmcgrillsig.jpg

2014 Onyx Black GMC Sierra All Terrain

weathertech | access lorado

2008 Black Cherry Metallic Chevy Silverado LTZ

2000 Pewter Metallic Chevy Silverado LT

#37 stw08sierra

stw08sierra

The Force is strong with GMT!

• 4,113 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Well, go figure, rear disks are not std, but AFM is (well, pretty much so)... if hindsight were 20-20, GM should've spent the $$ on beefing up the brakes instead of very marginal mileage gains ... :throwup:

Posted Image

2008 Sierra Crew Cab SLT 2WD, 5.3L, 3.73, Deep Blue Metallic, Trailering Package, Sunroof, Cargo Mgt System, WeatherTech Floorliners, Endeavor Stainless Step Bars, Literider Bedcover, Line-X Inside the Rail, CORSA "Sport" Exhaust System w/Single Side Exit

Sig photo courtesy of Dan (DV2000NJ).

#38 thunderstruck

thunderstruck

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,228 posts
  • Name:Kyle
  • Drives:2006 Avalanche, 1995 Silverado

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

Attached File  jeez.jpg   42.28KB   18 downloads

I agree. I don't like it but as much as I'd like to have discs, I really don't care because my truck stops great.

If the appearance of my brakes was really that important I'd have a set of Baer's on there because the stockers aren't really all that impressive looking anyway. :throwup:

QFT

/thread

Edited by thunderstruck, 14 April 2009 - 09:31 PM.

#39 Black.is

Black.is

Enthusiast

• 189 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

So why does my truck have drum brakes in the rear?? I don't understand. I have a 5.3L engine.

Does the 6.0 and 6.2 come with rear disc brakes?

Is there a towing package that comes with rear discs?

My only thought is that because of my smaller engine, and lack of HD towing accesories/package, they slapped me with stupid drums.... UGH .... it's like a gigantic Honda Civic. It's gonna look great with my new wheels....NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no.

:throwup:

That was a typo... I know there is a towing package, what I meant to say is "do rear discs come with the available towing package" haha. I guess I sort of answered my own question, that seems to be a common trend with me though

2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ White Diamond
Tinted 20% All-Around and 5% Windshield Strip -- Completely De-Badged --
Extang Tuff Tonneau III -- Airaid Drop-In Filter --
Rough Country Leveled -- Rear Wheel House Liners -- White LED License Plate Lights --
Recon Smoked LED 3rd Brake Light -- Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights -- Contoured Mud Flaps -- Blackbear Performance 93 Octane Tune
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semper Fidelis. Always Faithful.

#40 Chris's 07

Chris's 07

Enthusiast

• 216 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:06 AM

I was told it was due to the price of doing rear disc brake jobs , customers where bitching
2007 Sierra NNBS extended cab regular bed Sle-2 in sliver birch,5.3L AFM flex fuel.Tri fold bed cover,Gm locking tailgate handle ,Gm 6 inch oval steps.Matching window tint up front.Kenwood 7 inch touch screen radio with navigation,rockford fosgate speaker.Rear wheel wells painted black to match the front, bed rug, de-baged, antenna deleted lower air dam removed , 60 inch fire and ice light bar , bed seal kit , RC leveling kit and nitto terra grapplers a/t 285/70r17 , magna flow cat back, airaid intake tube and air filter, corvette servo, 6k HID's in the headlight and foglights. Carriage work grille.

#41 Black.is

Black.is

Enthusiast

• 189 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

I was told it was due to the price of doing rear disc brake jobs , customers where bitching

Interesting... they should have kept their mouths shut! oh well....

2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ White Diamond
Tinted 20% All-Around and 5% Windshield Strip -- Completely De-Badged --
Extang Tuff Tonneau III -- Airaid Drop-In Filter --
Rough Country Leveled -- Rear Wheel House Liners -- White LED License Plate Lights --
Recon Smoked LED 3rd Brake Light -- Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights -- Contoured Mud Flaps -- Blackbear Performance 93 Octane Tune
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semper Fidelis. Always Faithful.

#42 svensk

svensk

Toyotas lead to sodomy

• 3,733 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:39 AM

Interesting... they should have kept their mouths shut! oh well....

lol

Forged LS2, Attitude cam, kooks LTs, 4" CAI, C6 fan,
RPM level 6, custom 2800 stall, magnaflow res, DJ's, KBEEs

Posted Image

#43 downsized

downsized

Enthusiast

• 472 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:35 AM

FWIW, my 2007 4WD Tahoe with 4 disks does not brake near as well as my 2009 Silverado RWD. Granted, the Tahoe is heavier. However the Silverado does have much better pedal feel too, so I'm just fine with rear drums, despite their appearance/lack of. The Tahoe did make it to 50K before neeeding a brake job, but will probably need front rotors @75...

Posted Image
5.3l 4l60 BB tuned, Magnaflowed, Belltech'd 2", Line-X'd gray, GM ovals and caps, Amp step'd, DIC'd, and clean (usually)

#44 AllBlkdOut07

AllBlkdOut07

All black or nothing...

• 2,331 posts
  • Name:Umberto

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

The hell with Disc brakes, or Drum brakes....

BigWheel Brake FTMFW!!!
Posted Image

Edited by AllBlkdOut07, 15 April 2009 - 06:52 AM.

Posted Image
4WD/4.88s/TrueTrac/EFI Live | Rancho 4" SL+ 3" BL | Custom SS Skidplate | 20" Ballistic Jesters | 35" Toyos
Fabricated One-Off Lightbar + Bed Tire Mount
| Copper Anodized KING Coilovers + New Rims (Spring 2012)

#45 VMax2007

VMax2007

I'm not always RIGHT, but I am never WRONG!

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:54 AM

The hell with Disc brakes, or Drum brakes....

BigWheel Brake FTMFW!!!
Posted Image

Nice Big Wheel Umberto, but why isn't it Allblkdout? And where is it's junkgle gym? :throwup:

Was going to edit the typo, but realized it kinda fits. :dunno:

Edited by VMax2007, 15 April 2009 - 06:54 AM.

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users